main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Nice. I know what I'm doing on my next night off.

2. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Wasn't too fond of the weird neon creatures-- they were weird, but overall, it was a cool story.

yeah I agree. I didn't like em to much either but overall the anime was good. I've watched it now three times (today being the only day I didnt watch it). I liked it, although not my favorite animation style I think it worked well. I also ended up buying Pitch Black on DVD, I think after you see COR you appreciate it more. I liked it a lot more after seeing Riddick. Anyway I still have that free ticket, was planning on seeing it today with some friends, but my mom offered to take the family out to see Dodgeball instead. Its not every day that my parents are willing to pay for a movie ticket so I went. It was pretty good too and I'm glad I saw it Ben Stiller is hilarious. Anyway I will probably see Riddick again tomorrow. Since my brothers still haven't seen it and all my friends want to see it a third time as well.

Forcebewitya!

3. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    My only real beef with the movie was right after I had adjusted to the pleasant surprise of the fantasy elements of it I was yanked back to the "sci-fi" world of the prison planet crap, which might as well have come straight out of Alien 3. Did the Greg Brady Perm Merc annoy anyone else? I mean couldn't they get Ron Pearlman for that role? Too busy with Hellboy maybe?
    And the sunrise stuff...well, that's what the skip button is for.

All in all I thought it was pretty good and I really wish more people would take this direction in sci-fi. If I have to see another "Aliens" or "Terminator" ripoff I'm gonna puke.

IMHO they could have cut the prison stuff down to a few minutes and/or had it explain Riddick's race, the Necromongers or the Elementals in greater detail.

I loved the Necromongers and I want more! (Except for the Lord Marshall's oversized helmet and the funny looking "ribcage head" guy. lol )

Now all we need is a huge war between the Elementals and Riddick's Necromongers!!

4. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    The novelization talks about the Necromonger race and the Furyians a lot more. Hell, there's a LOT more in the novelization, and the writer/director David Twohy also confirmed that the full uncut version of Chronicles of Riddick is nearly 3 hours long.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he said it was the first cut of the film was that long, but that the "director's cut" would only be about 15 minutes longer.

The supplements on DF had a look at COR where David had a nice insight on the elementals: they are basicly neutral in that they try to keep things balanced (ie: when they see there's too much fire, they go find some water).

6. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Saw it and... DARNNIT THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE MOVIES ABOUT RIDDICK!!!

THIS is the outer-space saga that I think is finally worthy of being in the same league as Star Wars. I didn't discover the Riddickverse until Sci-Fi showed "Pitch Black" a few months ago (had no idea that the trailer for "Chronicles of Riddick" we saw with "Return Of The King" last year was a sequel) and thought that it had a better grasp of characters than most sci-fi/fantasy flicks have had of late.

Here's what I'm hoping will happen now: "The Chronicles of Riddick" came out at a WAY bad time. It should have been pushed back further into summer, when interest in "Prisoner of Azkaban", "Spider-Man 2" etc. has waned enough. THEN release it at a time when theatergoers are going to be wanting something that's aiming less for blockbuster status and more for a cerebral "thinking-man's" movie. It would have already made twice as much over the same period as it has now. There's nothing wrong with "Chronicles of Riddick" at all (except the cuts, which I'll be first in line to buy a director's edition), the movie was merely a victim of mass psychology/"wanna-see" because Potter and crew already had a vaster built-in audience that overwhelmed Riddick.

Let "The Chronicles of Riddick" come out on DVD, market the heck out of it, and watch the good word-of-mouth build its rentals and sales. It's kept more than one franchise going: lots of industry folks say that the reason Warners was so hot to sign for sequels to "The Matrix" is 'cuz it was the first to sell over a million DVDs (didn't take long either). Give it time to build up a rep and the next Riddick would make 150 million at the theater, easily.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking at the box office performance, I don't get the impression we'll be getting a sequel ::(

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Saw it on the weekend. Very cool :cool: Riddick is definatly one of the best sci-fi characters around. Hoping to pick up PB & DF on DVD sometime soon.

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I saw it twice now, and damn, it's good to get a nice sci-fi epic. Great movie, and I was pleased to see that the same visual style of filmmaking had been carried over.

My review is on my blog.

10. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    saw it twice now, and damn, it's good to get a nice sci-fi epic.

yes I agree I've seen it twice as well. I really hope they make more movies about Riddick.

Forcebewitya!

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just got the widescreen version of Pitch Black. The one thing that you notice is that it is called "The Chronicles of Riddick Pitch Black". There is also a free ticket to see the sequal. They really want you to go see COR.

It hits home about the superhuman aspect I mentioned before. In PB he is given a bit of a run for his money when he faces off with the mercenary.

I still like the more hard scifi elements of PB over the space opera qualities of COR.

Dark Fury comes with the new DVD, I haven't watched it yet.

12. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Dark Fury comes with the new DVD, I haven't watched it yet.

Not sure what kind of DVD deal you got, but to my knowlege the only thing of Dark Fury that comes with the Pitch Black DVD is a short teaser about it. I have both the PB DVD, and the Dark Fury DVD. So unless you got some deal Dark Fury doesn't come with PB. But correct me if I am wrong.

Forcebewitya!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dark Fury is indeed a seperate disc- the PB DVD only has a preview on it.

Also, if anyone still has the free ticket to COR from the PB DVD, take note that it expires tommorow, so now's the time to use it...

(anyone else think the box office performance was harmed by so many people using the free ticket?)

Anyways, I saw it for the second time earlier this evening (had afriend who wanted to use that free ticket before it expired) and there is one detail I hadn't noticed the first time: some people had pointed out, as a plot hole, why the Necros released Riddick from the gravity pad when Lord Marshall ordered his death after finding out he's Furian (because otherwise he wouldn't have had a chance at resisting)- however what I noticed was that it wasn't Marshall who does it but rather "ribcage head" the former Furian; a piece of foreshadowing detail I rather liked.

I also found the movie more enjoyable this second go around, because my false preconceptions about the film didn't get in the way this time. The Cremetoria sequences are still the best.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To those who have read the novelization- could someone explain the scene from the trailer of some kind of energy burst exploding from Riddick? (apparently killing the circle of Necros around him) Looks like it's set during the fight on Cremetoria.

15. sal9161

sal9161 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    It was an ok movie.

16. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    2 times is probably the best way to see this. Happened to see it again this past weekend, and I must say, hardly anybody is giving Twohy the credit he deserves. What kind of writer goes into such DETAIL about everything they create? I know of a few that do, but they aren't hitting it big at all. They're not formulaic writers like 99.99% of all "famous" writers.

Twohy is a genius. I want to see more Chronicles. Screw if it the first doesn't make a whole lotta money, Pitch Black made crap at the box office. Same goes with the studio who did The Punisher. I want more!!!

17. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    (anyone else think the box office performance was harmed by so many people using the free ticket?)

You know I think that is a possibility. I never really had considered it before but I was shocked that it didn't do that well. I mean it is a good sci-fi flick IMO and also its got a lot of action for the people who dont really care about anything in movies besides just that. So in theory it should have done better.

Forcebewitya!

18. Loso_Fett

Loso_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    I saw the movie and really liked it. Except some of those action scenes nearly gave me a seizure...lol. I hope in the next movie Riddick continues the Necromonger quest for...what was it? I saw the movie like 2 weeks ago. Wasn't it like a gate to another universe, like the underworld? I can't really remember, but it sounded interesting.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They were conquering their way towards a cluster of dark planets or stars or something that eitehr actually was or led to the underverse.

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Well I finally saw 'The Chronicles of Riddick' yesterday as it's just been released here in Australia and it thought it was pretty good. Quite epic in scope, costumes and sets were very lavish, a good storyline, nice music and action sequences (Even if a few were abit over the top) and the special effects were great. Vin was back in character as Riddick but a few of the supporting actors were abit lame I thought and some of the editing was off mark. The ending was a big surprise though. I'll be getting this on DVD for sure to see what a missed in the background :)

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    This thread has been in Amphitheatre all this time and i missed it? Meh, anyway...

Chronicles is definately one of the best sci-fi movies of 2004. You can read my review of it here. Enjoy. :D

22. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    wow that sounds encouraging what you're saying.
    can't wait to see it. one more month here unfortunately :(

-Mel

23. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Isn't the Chronicles of Riddick a prequil to Pitch Black?

24. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    I thought it was a sequel????

do the events take place prior to or after pitch black?????

-Mel

25. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    You're right. It's a sequel. It takes place a few years after the events of Pitch Black.