main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm going to Norway in June

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Jay, Mar 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    I'll be there for almost two weeks -- in Oslo and Bergen. I was just wondering if you think there is anything I "must see" while I'm in the area.

2. Mhirth

Mhirth Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2000
    Hi

I'm from Bergen and I would suggest some sites to visit.

Visit Fløyen, it's one of the highest mountains, you can take the train to the top or walk. From the top you have a beautiful view over this magnificent city:)

Something called Ulriksbanen is also worth a look. It's a gondole ( spelling ) taking you up to the top of the highest mountain. Not something if you are afraid of hights.

The Aqarium and the Pir is also worth a while in the summertime.

If the local soccerteam is playing while you're there I would pay Brann Stadium a visit.

As far as Oslo is concerned, I would advise you to see the Castle and Vigelandsparken.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Norway

3. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    If you're going to Norway, you have to go to Finse, where they filmed the HOTH-sequenses for ESB.

4. Mhirth

Nov 12, 2000
    Yes, you have to go to Finse, how could I forget that. You can take the train from Bergen. There is a hotel nearby called Finse 1222 ( http://www.finse1222.no ) where you can live if you decide to stay there for a couple of days. They can also help you to reach "Midtdalen" where they filmed the Hoth scenes.

5. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    That all sounds cool. I'm going with my dad's uncle, so I'll tell him about those places and see if we can fit them in. I'm not sure what kind of schedule we're on, though.

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Now I know where to go if I ever get a chance to go there :)

Have a nice time in Bergen in June! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Here's what we have kinda planned already:

Oslo sightseeing the day after we arrive. Train to Kronserg the next day to see a very old cathedreal. More sightseeing. Train to Mydral, where we'll transfer to Flam, with a free afternoon in Flam. The next day, and afternoon ferry to Balestrand. Then the next day, a morning cruise on the Sogne Fjord to Bergen. The next couple of day will be for sight-seeing and stuff. Then we'll take the train back to Oslo.

Then we'll be heading out to Iceland, and spend a couple days in Reykavik. It looks like we'll have a full day that has nothing planned there, so if any of you know anything that we should see in Reykavik, please let me know. Thanks. :)

8. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    By the way, how far away is Finse from Bergen? I don't see it on the map.

9. Mhirth

Nov 12, 2000
    Hi Jay

Finse is about 2,5 hours east of Bergen by train. You have to take the train because it's in the middle of the mountain. I spoke with the hotel at Finse and they said that it is about 4 km to the place where they filmed ESB. However you have to cross country if you want to go there it's a lot easier than walking

10. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Ok. I got an e-mail from my dad's uncle saying, "Finse is apparently a wide spot on the railway from Oslo to Bergen. The guide book describes it as follows, 'Finse is nothing more than its station and a few isolated buildings, bunkered down against the howling winds that rip across the platau in wintertime.' It is primarily a starting point for cross-country skiing and the locals start buckling up as soon as they leave the station and zipping off into the distance. We will pass through it on our way to Flam and on our return to Oslo."

So, I'm not sure if I'll be able to hang out there.

11. norway

norway Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2000
    Hey Jay!

I live in Oslo. It's a great place to visit but somewhat expensive. Lots of pretty things to see (parks and such).

Bergen is very beautiful too. Actually a bit nicer looking than Oslo in some ways. A very nice pier and the city's right smack in the middle of seven surrounding mountains. Beautiful!

Hope you enjoy it here. :)

12. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hello, Jay!

Don't worry - you'll be passing Finse on your way to Myrdal and Flåm by train, and you will definitely recognise Hoth up there about 1200 metres above the sea! Just try to picture it in winter.

When you're in Flåm - come to the Tourist Information at the Train station and ask for Christer.
    That's me!

http://www.alr.no

13. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Ok, I'll do that. :)

14. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    What's the weather like over there. I'll be leaving monday to go over there, and I'm wondering if I should pack a jacket, or if shirts will do just fine.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A jacket is a good idea, and something that protects you from rain.

16. Mhirth

Nov 12, 2000
    The weather is very good at the moment, but I would pack a jacket just to be on the safe side

17. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Ok, thanks. :)

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The evenings and nights could be cold, even if the weather is good.

19. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Well, I'm here in Oslo right now. I'm having a good time. Its a little bit cold, but that doesn't bother me. I would like it better if it weren't raning. Its hard to imagine this as summer, and I can't see how you eat ice cream on days like this. I think I'll be leaving for Bergen in a couple days. Today I saw the Kon-Tiki and Viking Ship museums. Those were pretty cool. I also went to a park with almost 200 sculptures of naked people (I forget the park's name, but I'm sure you know). That is certainly something I've never seen in the US.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Good that you enjoy your stay. I love the Viking Ship museum, I've visited when I was in Norway.

Would you please make a full report when you get home and post it here. :)

21. Mhirth

Nov 12, 2000
    I would just like to welcome you to Bergen. Unfortunately it's raining here as well.

BTW the park is called Vigelandsparken. It's quite funny to watch all the statues.

22. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Yeah, that's right. I could have run up to my room and looked it up, but I figured you would know. :) We also went to the ski jump. I signed the guest book at the Kon-Tiki museum, so if you go there, look up June 8th, and you'll see some Duct Tape I put there. :)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Did you like the jumping hill? I love it, I've only been to Oslo when there is ski jumping, I've never been there in the summer.

24. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Yes, I did enjoy the ski jump. I thought about going in the simulated jump, but I didn't. I started climbing the stairs to get to the top of the slope, and take some pictures from up there, but partway up, I realized it was time for my bus to leave, so I ran down the steps, and down to the bus. I'm in Flåm now. Not much to see or do. I spent some time talking to Adali-Kiri while my Dad's Uncle looked around, but that was pretty much it. I'm heading out tomorrow for Balestrad (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but, again, I'm down in a lobby, and you people spell things funny ;)) and then its on to Bergen.

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The sim isn't worth it, so you saved some money.

Hope you and Adali Kiri had a nice chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.