main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm going to Norway in June

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Jay, Mar 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Yeah, that's pretty much all there was to do in Flam. So, I went to Balestrand, and got into Bergen yesterday. Now I'm in Bergen in some sort of mall near the fish market. I took the gondola up to Ulriksbanen. I took some pictures, then hiked up to this hill pretty much straight out from where I got off the gondola. There was a pyramid of rocks. I tried to get my uncle to take some pictures from the viewing area up there, and I think he got some, but probably from the first hill I went up. I also left a piece of Duct Tape on some sort of wooden brace going up the middle of the pile. So, if any of you go over there, its only about a 15-20 minute hike up there, and you should be able to see the Duct Tape I left (I wrote "Duct Tape" on it). :)

Oh, and Adali-Kiri, next time you're on the computer at work, take a look behind you at the far wall. :D

2. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    I went up Fløyen today. I didn't see anywhere to leave some Duct Tape. I thought about putting some on the big troll up there, but I figured someone would be bound to peel it off, and that would defeat the purpose. Oh well. I may not be able to leave any more Duct Tape around here in Norway, but I'm heading out to Iceland in a couple days, so maybe I'll leave some there. :) I also took the little boat out to see the fjords. It was pretty much 4 hours of the same stuff I see all the time when looking around, so I don't think it was really worth the 300 kr. Oh well, its only money, and this is a once in a lifetime thing. :) I did get a few pictures, though, so that's cool.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Oh, I would like to go to Iceland some day, please give us a report from there too. :)

4. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    No problem. :) I´m here in Iceland now. From Bergen, I took the train back to Oslo, and then spent the night there, and flew into Iceland today. We seem to be bringing the good weather with us, which is turning out very nice. Apparently, we´ve picked a good time to be in Iceland, for tomorrow is their Independence day, and everybody from all around flocks here, to Reykjavik for like a big party or something, and I´m right in the center of town.

Oh, and I´m staying at Hotel Borg, so if none of you ever hear from me again, will someone please come and cut me out of the Collective!

Sorry about the Star Trek reference, but maybe the fact that I´ve been to Hoth and back -- twice! -- will make up for it.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Apology accepted. :)

6. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    :D Well, so far, I´ve survived one night. Only 2 more to go. I went on a pretty long tour today. A few hours around the city, Reykjavik, and then, later out a ways to see some hot water springs, along with some geysers. Apparently, one geyser has been dormant for over 40 years, until last year, when they had a couple earthquakes, and got it going again -- though not as spectacular, they say, as it used to be before it went dormant. I also went and saw a beautifull waterfall, and a neat little crater formed from lava spilling over water. I guess the lava hardened over the water, but then the water all turned to steam, and blew up, creating this crater.

7. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I must admit that I completely forgot about this thread for a while... [face_blush]
    Yeah, I did see the tape, Jay. Hehehe. :)

Watch out folks! This guy is getting ready to cover the globe in duct tape, to "bind the world together".

Anyway, we had a couple of good chats. Obviously including lots of SW speculation and opinioning. Is that even a word? ?[face_plain]

Obi Anne; Where in Sweden do you live? I'm coming to Stockholm in a couple of weeks. About August 8 - 12, I think.

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Have you seen that the Swedish people on the JC will meet the 11th of August in Uppsala, it's the city next to Stockholm, it would be really fun if you could come too. I will be there.

9. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    That would be great! Uppsala is only, what, 40 minutes by train or something from Stockholm. :)

10. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    I have a couple pictures of where I left some Duct Tape, but my scanner is acting kinda crappy, so I can't show you right now.

Adali-Kiri, did you or the girls you work with want any of the new quarters? I could send some to you if you want.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It would be lovely if you could post the pics someday, it's no hurry.

12. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Anne & Lynx;

Thank you for the invitation! I'll seriously consider coming to Uppsala. It would be a bit silly to not go when I'm just right nearby anyway, wouldn't it? Norway needs a rep there! Seems there are only 2 or 3 Norwegians on this board, but anyway...

I'm heading for Stockholm next Wednesday (Stockholm er en fantastisk by!), and I don't know what I'll be doing from day to day, so how about I'll see you next Saturday? That would be very nice! :)

Jay;

Yeah, I guess the girl who was there one of the days you popped by collects those things and would be very grateful for that! I'll check with her and give you a word when I find out. Looking forward to those pics, buddy! :)

13. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Yeah, just let me know about the quarters. I have bunches of most of the states out so far.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my scanner. It's like it's scanning faster than it used to, so the quality is not as near as good as it used to be. There may be some settings I can change to fix it. I'll have to play around with it a bit. I did get one picture scanned before it started doing this, however. It's a picture of one of the statues in Vigelandsparken. It looks like a guy getting attacked by babies. :D

Click here for the picture.

14. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Ok, I got my scanner working enough to scan a few more pictures. In these pictures, I'm on top of Ulriksbanen. In the first two pictures, you can see me climbing around. Then, the third picture is one I took when I got back to the front part of the mountain. It's kinda hard to see the depth, but there's a valley, then the hill rises up. The red arrow points to the pile of rocks that I left some Duct Tape on. :)

[image=http://members.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/hill1.jpg]

[image=http://members.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/hill2.jpg]

[image=http://members.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/hill3.jpg]

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If I ever go there, I will try to locate your duct tape. :)

16. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Cool. :) I just remembered that I have another roll of film waiting to be picked up. That roll should have some more pictures of Bergen, and a big troll I saw at the top of another mountain. I can't think of the name of it right now, but you go up in a trolly, like thing to the top of it. There's a restaurant, a little gift shop, and a little play-ground for kids. Is there also a school up there? I remember signs on the thing saying something about reserving certain seats for kids.

17. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    The pictures in this roll were a couple more of the pile of rocks I left Duct Tape on top of Ulriksbanen, some scenery which doesn't seem to fit in there, then pictures from the Funicular, then some pictures of Iceland. I got a picture of what was once Iceland's largest navy ship, the Thor, which has been turned into a restaurant. When I saw it, the "T" had been taken off, so it just says, "HOR" :D I'll scan some of them in when my scanner feels like working. Maybe tomorrow, ot Thursday.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Looking forward to it.

19. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    My scanner only seems to work when I first start up my computer, before I open up ICQ and AIM, and all that stuff, so I have to remember to scan them before I get that stuff going. :)

20. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    These are bad scans, 'cause I need a new scanner, but here are some more pictures,

My uncle in front of an 8 foot troll:

[image=http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/8foot2.jpg]

Some waterfall (I forget where):

[image=http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/fall.jpg]

This was once Iceland's biggest ship:

[image=http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/segraves/jaysstuff/ship.jpg]

Someone took the T off the name. :D

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Nice pics Jay, lovely that you want to share them with us.

22. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    No prob. :) If I'm gonna tell you about what I did, I might as well show you the pictures, too, right? :)

23. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Hello, Jay;

I'm pretty sure that waterfall must be someplace close to where we met...

About those quarters - yeah, my collegue would be extremely pleased! I'll get back to it later, and give you her adress or something per PM. Okay?

24. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Sure, but I probably won't get a chance to send them until January or so, because I'll be in England for the next three months.

I'm not quite sure where that waterfall is. It's got to be near Bergen somewhere, though, 'cause there are pictures of Ulriksbanen before it, and pictures from the Funicular after it. It looks like we're on the water, but I don't recall going on a boat then. Although, I know there were a couple boats that I went on, so that was probably one of them. Oh, I remember now. It must have been the White Lady Tour.

25. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    Christer, you still interested in the quarters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.