main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    The Flyers are utterly abysmal. I have been trying to recall a time when the overall state of the team was this bad, and so far, coming up empty. It is undeniable that they have an insane number of key players injured, and any evaluation of them has to take that into account. That being said, the GM made a series of contractual moves regarding many of the players who are NOT injured that are being proven to be catastrophically wrong-headed based on what the Flyers are getting from them. Thus, as one sports writer observed, it is possible to at once recognize their very real injury woes AND to think the personnel management and talent development areas of the team are awful. Both can be true. UGH.

My brother, who is a huge Flyers fan, mentioned that maybe the team should have traded Carter Hart at the end of last season or this season - and he's a big Carter Hart fan. But what is the point of having a goalie with real upside potential when you aren't going to be seriously better for years? Something to think about.

The Flyers are a kind of bad right now that really is a test for a fan. I've watched many bad teams over the years, across a number of sports, but this one right now seems particularly miserable. On their best nights, they play really hard and the goalie stands on his head and they somehow stay in it or steal a point here or there. On anything worse than their best nights they get their butts kicked. Other than their goalie, they have no "star appeal" player so that you could at least say "Well, you never know, we might at least get to see PLAYER X do something special". And when your goalie IS your only star player, you basically get to watch him desperately try to stem the tide, which isn't the same as watching an elite goal scorer score on a great play etc (and hey - HUGE goalie fan here. Just saying, even so, on a HORRIFIC team does anyone pay to see the goalie try to salvage something?). I guess what I am trying to say is that it is never a pleasure to watch a truly bad team but not all bad teams are created equal. Some are depressingly, soul crushingly bad - simply not talented enough, end of story.

Tough year to be a Flyers fan!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i mean, you were one of the three or four worst teams in the league last year. probably not that bad this year, just in a slump over the last two weeks. it will take a year or two for tortorella to break this team into fitting his mold, he inherited a poor team.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  3. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Play should have been called as soon as Hellebyuks helmet came off. Another NHL call that makes no sense IMO of course.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  4. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    [face_laugh]

Mitch marner got a goal 40 seconds into the game making his point streak 16 now.

I have them on my fantasy team. :D

PymParticles likes this.
  5. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    It’s 80s night on the Island. Bryan Trottier in the booth and the Islanders score 2 goals in 22 seconds. Pure gold.

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  6. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    Go leafs go

Go marner Go. They need a point to make it a 17 point streak.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Leafs dominated last night; Marner has been absolutely on fire, and the team just looks really good right now. The Oilers also pulled off a great OT win over the Panthers (**** Florida) after tying the game with only 4.4 seconds left on the clock. Really exciting hockey night.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    so kris letang had a stroke on monday, and is out indefinitely. he suffered one a few years ago, and was also out for a few months.

he's 35 years old, that is a lot to deal with. if giving/taking hits is responsible for his condition, i hope he walks away from hockey.

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    That’s horrible, I hope he is able to recover from it, and stops playing. :(

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Marner ties the franchise point streak record!

11. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    Lol yuppers.

One game and one point to make it his record.

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    And of course it'll be against Tampa. [face_nail_biting]

13. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    omg i know right. i have no reason to hate steve stankos but omg i hate him to death. just talking bout it i might throwup.

14. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
  15. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
  16. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Good for Marner, the kid deserves it he’s been on fire. Also, God has to be a Leafs fan, because he’s definitely been on our side with some of these calls and lucky plays.

18. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    Anyone know What's going on with that dude fron Tampa who is talking to other teams?

@PymParticles you an antman fan huh? Cool. Going to make sure in following you.

PymParticles likes this.
  19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Funny enough, I’m a much bigger DC fan than a Marvel fan, but I do love those classic Ant-Man stories in Tales to Astonish. The movies came out after I made my account, but they’re delightful and cute so I don’t mind the association.

20. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    I'm really looking forward to antman 3. Looks great.

Tied game. Go leafs go.

Tampa is for your grampa [face_rofl]

marner with another goal. and now oh no tavaris kicked it in. lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The Leafs have been playing really, really well across the board, but we can’t seem to scrape a win in OT. I’d rather take the one point than no points, but two would be better. We really have to work on that, but otherwise, I’m feeling a lot better about this team than I did at this point last season.

22. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    i think that was a bad break had matthews not lost the puck and murray was able to make that save. well next time i suppose.

stupid tampa

23. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    3rd period of this Stars v. Wild is killing me.

24. Jar-Jar Binks

Nov 17, 2016
    Sounds wild :p

25. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    OMG tie goal for the trick!! Wooooooo!! I kind of wish I’d gone to the game now.
    They were down 5-1 earlier in the 3rd.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022