main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends I'm Simply the Gardener (Vignette - an OC Dueling Circle response)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by correllian_ale, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Title: I?m Simply the Gardener
    Author: correllian_ale
    Timeframe: Almost 1,000 years BBY
    Characters: OCs
    Genre: vignette
    Keywords:
    Summary: An Ithorian reflects on his contributions to life as a gardener
    Notes: Written for the OC Dueling Circle Challenge #18
    The GFFA is an enormous galaxy, and though humans are its most common species, they're far from the only ones. It's easy to write about humans since everyone can relate to them. So for this challenge, try writing a story from the point-of-view of an alien.

A special thank-you to the kind souls who nominated/qualified the "Gardener", Ithorian Torm Solon for the Summer Awards: Best Non-Human Character!!! You guys kick ash!!!
    [:D]

To be on Coruscant, or my homeworld, or Kuat; many would see that as an affirmation of skill, my talents in horticulture. Nevertheless, I have found that owning a trader?s mart on an Outer-Rim backworld like Femushia to be just as elite, just as satisfying, and just as gratifying as those who would claim a profitable Core sited shop.

However, turning a profit has never been the core of our existence. I?m simply the gardener, what would I need with the grandiose. An Ithorian?s desire to grow and care for a life [i]is[/i] one?s being. The joy of a sale is not derived from the credchips placed into my grasp, but at the potential of incredible joy for the intended recipient of the Life Born of the Soil, whether it be the buyer, or their loved one ? or even potential loved one as the case may be.

[i]~ Breath easy, release your milk ~ [/i]

Careful not to disturb her peaceful rest, I stroke the [i]Sweetblossom[/i]?s sun basking laves gently, trying to coax it her to produce more of the extract I provide Jucco. Poor spice-addicted fellow he is, the extract helps to alleviate his slavery to the Jawa-on-his-back. The poor creature tries so hard, and the milk?s properties have only a fraction of what he desires, but as far as I can tell, he has not ?fallen? again. I never accept money from him, but he always finds ways to leave credchips around in inconspicuous places for me to find later. The young Rodian has a good set of hearts within, so I help him face the pollution that destroys him. He needs his chance to bask in the sunlight, and grow.

The rows of the [i]Treeman?s Herb[/i] sways with the breeze gently, beckoning to me, petitioning for my attention. A displaced citizen of Naboo, a young girl; is their only connection to home, as are they hers. She lives the lonely life of a medic, and although she is a healer of beings, her ?green-thumb? leaves a lot to be desired; as the humans say. Once a month, perhaps twice she will return to my humble shop ? a wilted and dead [i]Treeman?s Herb[/i] in hand ? and ask me to cure what little remembrance she has left of her grandmother. She is not aware that when she returns latter that day, that I have replaced the plant with one alive and vibrant, and have not in fact; nursed the old one back to health. I ask for no payment, telling her it was a simple matter really, but she is steadfast to bestow upon me a bottle of mixed oils, and herbs to add to my vegetarian meals; an old family recipe she informs me, and I feel honored.

I do as the healer does and ease the suffering of a hurt soul. My people value life above all else, and in my hearts, I could not soothe my pain over the dead plant by informing the tired youngster that she is in fact, a killer. I dutifully turn the plant now absent of life into a mixture that will bring more of its kind [i]to[/i] life.

It is mid morning, and the glint of the sunlight reflecting off armor startles me. Many times in the past, I have found myself victim to robberies by blade, and several years later, my nerves tense at the sight of shiny and sharp objects. But as I said that was in the past.

Before me now, shadowing the bright ligh

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, that is just beautiful. What a wonderful alien OC you've created. So much the kind of being I'd like to know. Giving and loving without asking in return.

I just really love this. [face_love] [:D]

3. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    =D= Wow. I think that word sums this up pretty well, and that's all I can say because I am in effect 'wow-ed'. I'm speechless. Very well done!!!
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= [face_peace]

4. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Wow...

Wow...

The Ithorian has such beautiful memories! I love the little clips of a caring, selfless life! That was beautiful, C_A!:_|

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I do as the healer does and ease the suffering of a hurt soul. My people value life above all else, and in my hearts, I could not soothe my pain over the dead plant by informing the tired youngster that she is in fact, a killer. I dutifully turn the plant now absent of life into a mixture that will bring more of its kind to life.

One of my favorite parts of this beautiful vig. I think it says exactly why he's a gardener - he values life and understands how death and life are perfectly and naturally intertwined. I also really liked how the Mando was so comfortable in his presence that he would freely speak his mind.

Wonderful job. [face_love] If you ever expand on this character, I'd love to read more!

6. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Oh, that was lovely. Wonderful character.

7. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    This was so touching:
    I do as the healer does and ease the suffering of a hurt soul. My people value life above all else, and in my hearts, I could not soothe my pain over the dead plant by informing the tired youngster that she is in fact, a killer. I dutifully turn the plant now absent of life into a mixture that will bring more of its kind to life.

I'm terrible with houseplants, too.
    This little bit reveals so much about this character.

What an incredibly orginal piece!
    You've broght such life to this gardener.
    Wow! I'm left a little speechless by this.
    It was so perfectly constructed.

Damn, Ale, you've really nailed this one.

Beautiful work!!!!
    =D=

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    He stops in less often now that the war is over, but feels that will change. ?Without a common cause to bind them, beings realize what it is that they don?t like about each other again?, he often says.

Ruus Dengar the Mandolorian quietly and thoughtfully selects a thin, vibrant plant, with a bright orange-yellow blossom. ?The sarad is like her smile?, he informs me, perfectly comfortable to be vulnerable in my presence.

~ She must be as lovely as the sun that rises then. ~

He has no trouble understanding my deep-throated rumbling in basic. To look at the human?s mouth, so lined from frowning, one would not think its smile would be so infectious. ?She is burc?ya' he returns, as a sudden yet understandable haste takes hold of him.

He wraps his hands, made brutal looking by his armor, around the Tillychord?s vase more delicately than one would suspect, and places a small satchel of credits onto my bartering table. I have long since surrendered from arguing with him in regards to paying me so greatly for such a small plant. He informed me once that the plant was small, but its worth was not.

wow. beautiful sentiments and enchantingly written! lovely job, c-ale!

9. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Awww, this was wonderful! Loved the different things that the plants meant to each customer, and the way that slight language difficulties accentuated the characters' different heritages. Great viggie!

10. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Amazing! I have always thought the Ithorians were an interesting species. And you have really established a strong OC for the challenge. Very powerful fic.

Cheers,
    Wyo

11. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Now this Ithorian was a well-developed OC. Such a kindly fellow too. I really liked him. Good story.

Poor spice-addicted fellow he is, the extract helps to alleviate his slavery to the Jawa-on-his-back.

Did anybody else find the term 'Jawa-on-his-back' funny?

12. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Aww, this was lovely. Such a great OC you've created here!

-DS

13. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    You did a really great job getting into the mindset of an Ithorian with this, correllian_ale, nice work!

Being a gardener seems like the perfect job for a member of his species, and the way he interacts with the other characters was brilliant, so giving and gentle. It seemed very true to the way Ithorians have been shown in the only thing I know them from, KOTOR.

Excellent response to the challenge! =D=

14. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Wow. This gives real insight into what the life of Ithorian is. They get so little attention, because they never play major roles in the SWG. Beautiful work.

15. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    That was a beautiful vignette, it was nice seeing thing's from the view of an Ithorian. They've always been one of my favorite species, since they're always so peacful and kind, as you managed to convey very well throughout the story. It also makes perfect sense for an Ithorian to be a gardener, considering the lives they lead on their homeworld.

I enjoyed hearing about the relationship between the Ithorian and his customers, especially the bounty hunter. It came as a total surprise that he was really Dengar, I thought it might have been one of the Fetts at first until you mentioned the red hair. Excellent submission to the challenge!

:)

16. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    [face_blush] Whoa! Thanks guys...

Healer Leona: Giving and loving without asking in return. He is a good hearted fellow isn't he, but then after I asked myself; 'how does he pay the bills?'. [face_laugh]

Mere_K: I'll see your Wow! and raise you a Wow-E-Wow! ;)

Rogue_Pilot: The Ithorian has such beautiful memories! I just hope they weren't imagined as a result of being around all those different herbs all day...o_O

JadeSolo: Thanks Jade! The Ithorian (whose official name is Torm Solon btw) may make an apperance, from time to time.

Elana: Thank-you so much.

oqidaun: You're right, he's too much of a nice character...totally not my style. Maybe I should kill him off for the OC Anom challenge.

Jennifer_Lynn: Aw, thanks...[face_blush]

raisedbywolves: Thank-you, the plants were meant to represent the characters, so I appreciate it.

WyoJedi: I always liked Ithorians too, they remind me of Yoda without the mischief...

tws: It was very funny, imagining the hooded little thing tithering like a complaining back-pack...[face_laugh]

-darksaber-: Thank-you!

bi0nic: From what I understand, the principal of their life is caring for nature on their home planet; so I thought a "simple gardener" would be a perfect fit. Glad you liked it.

SBD-518: The only major attention I've seen with them is in the NJO, so it is nice to expand on species like that.

Lord_Zeron: Thank you. Its not the actual Dengar we know from ESB, since this takes place almost 1,000 years prior; but maybe an ancestor of some sort...it would explain the Mandolorian-like armor he wears.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.