main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[I'm Speechless]Tim Donaghy Scandal, continued

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You're still accounting that Donaghy is telling the absolute truth. Though the foul calls in that game 6 were odd, nothing concerning these alligations have been proven yet. It's too early to start crying Chicken Little.

2008: The 50th season of L.A. Dodger baseball! :cool:

2007-2008 L.A. Lakers: 57-25, #1 seed in the West

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It almost doesn't matter if they're true. The reality that few people (if any) would be surprised that they are is what's really wrong.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Lets not forget the 2001 Eastern championship where my Milwaukee bucks were playing at home in game 6 with a chance to end the series vs Iverson and his 76'rs. The refs eject Scott Williams and then the league suspends him for game 7 on a terrible call. Williams was on fire in that series. I think he was even 12/12 in one of the games. I believe Stern wanted to give Iverson his first shot at the championship and because Philly is a way bigger market than Milwaukee.

Just my rant.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    They might prove to be false, but I do think you're putting a little to much confidence in Stern, and the way he's brushing this off.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I still can't believe that something like fixing games could go hidden for such a long time. It's crazy!

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Assuming it's true, you can be sure that Stern (and his underlings) made sure there is no paper trail at all. So, the only way we would ever find out about it is if someone involved in it were to fess up to it. And seeing as that would involve loss of job plus a probable criminal investigation, no one would ever do that on their own.

Unless they had something to gain from it, because they were already out of their job and already staring down a long prison sentence ...

7. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I believe there was definitely something going on in 2002....

1. The Referees are governed by the NBA.

2. They have been know to play favorites, and take the games into their own hands...just ask Tim Duncan, when he was tossed for laughing.

3. There is no way Mike Bibby's face fouled Kobe's elbow!!!!!!!!!!!

4. No matter how popular the Kings were at that time, L.A. was still the bigger market and would get better ratings and earn more money for the league.

5. The difference in fouls shots in the fourth quarter alone should have raised eyebrows.

6. Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee once commented on how most of his colleages on media row felt the Kings were getting jobbed, and that it looked bad.

7. Even people who were not fans of the game thought something was going on, even causing Ralph Nadar to look into it. No matter what you think of Nadar, he is a good consumer advocate.

I am not saying the game was fixed by the NBA, but the refs know who pays their checks, and know what is best for the league.

I also seem to remember people attacking the character of a MR. Jose Canseco when he made his allegations. Turns out he was telling the truth. Let's give this some time, it might turn out to be untrue, or it might be that this guy exposed the NBA for fixing games.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

A little bit perhaps, sure. Either way, this Donaghy BS isn't going to ruin the Finals for me (especially if the Lakers win it this time) nor will it take away from my great memories from the spring of '02.

2008: The 50th season of L.A. Dodger baseball! :cool:

2007-2008 L.A. Lakers: 57-25, #1 seed in the West

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    It shouldn't ruin anything for you. The Lakers did not ask for the help..or did they:p

But as a Kings fan, it feels as though we were cheated. It feels as if the Lakers were not the better team, which they might have been, but that the league felt the Kings did not deserve to be there because of their small market status.

On Si.com there is a article in the rumors section, that says the FBI have questioned another ref about Dick B. They asked if it looked like he made sure the home team won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.