main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    [​IMG]

Batgirl by Rafael Albuquerque

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Crystal Tokyo Wedding by ErinPtah
    [​IMG]
    "Usagi, Mamoru, and Haruka, giving away Helios, Chibiusa, and Hotaru respectively, at the Future OT3 royal wedding."

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Heretic by JoelChaimHoltzman
    [​IMG]
    ''As Archbishop Eutychianus began his missionary from Constantinople, north to the wild lands of southern Europe, He stumbled upon ancient evil from days gone by that even his staunch faith and position in the church could not resist.

The pursue of power was everything in the Byzantine Empire.''

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/20/in-midnight-clad-first-claw/

In Midnight Clad: First Claw
    [​IMG]

Aaron Dembski-Bowden’s Night Lords series is extremely popular. It shows a different side of the Heretic Astartes, following not zealous Chaos worshippers, but scavengers living on the Imperium’s fringes. For Nicholas Vogt, the books were an inspiration, and he’s crafted models of First Claw, the primary characters from the novels.

Nicholas: What makes the story of First Claw so entertaining, at least to my mind, is that one can’t help but cheer them on despite their blatantly evil actions. They never take on a fair fight, only engaging with overwhelming odds on their side, and will lie, cheat, and steal in order to survive.

[​IMG]

While this could have lapsed into moustache-twirling cartoon villainy, the books’ “hero” Talos and his fellow legionaries instead end up being surprisingly endearing as they navigate their bleak existence.

[​IMG]

Aaron Dembski-Bowden’s writing style, combined with the acerbic wit of many characters – Cyrion in particular – brings some dark humour to the series, serving both as respite from the more gruesome moments (of which there are many) and making them all the more impactful through the contrast.

[​IMG]

After reading the Night Lords Omnibus and being enthralled with Aaron’s rendering of the VIII Legion, I knew I needed to stretch my hobby muscles a bit and recreate First Claw for the tabletop. The new line of Chaos Space Marines seemed like the perfect opportunity.

[​IMG]

I combined the bodies of the Heretic Astartes with quite a few parts from other Warhammer 40,000 models and Forge World kits, such as Talos’ sword, taken from the Blood Angels Crimson Paladins, and Variel’s sinister backpack, which comes from Fabius Bile. I also added some Night Lords Legion Mk III Shoulder Pads for a bit of Nostraman flair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The dynamic between Talos and his cohorts is particularly interesting. This is not the cohesive war machine of the Imperium or even the Black Legion. Rather, First Claw is a fractured, dysfunctional coterie of murderers in power armour. They are usually at each other’s throats.

Much of the tension is derived from Uzas, the only member of First Claw to outwardly worship one of the Chaos Gods. Uzas is seen by the others as little more than a wild beast, even a liability. He bears red gauntlets – the mark of a sinner among the Night Lords – for crimes he may or may not have committed.

[​IMG]

One of my favourite characters is Xarl, Talos’ childhood friend and the group’s resident massive-chainsword enthusiast. He is arguably the most dangerous member of First Claw in close combat and helps keep the more belligerent members of the warband in line.

Xarl has one of the most heroic moments in the saga when, to protect his injured allies, he faces off alone against a champion of the Genesis Chapter. I’m not going to spoil the scene, but suffice to say it’s a highlight of Void Stalker, the final instalment of the series.

[​IMG]

I had an immense amount of fun recreating the group for the tabletop, while trying to remain true to the source material. The books are so rich in detail that I had a clear picture of how I wanted each of these lovable reprobates to look before even assembling them.

[​IMG]

I’m going to miss First Claw – at least until next time I reread the books – and the insight they provide into a side of the Traitor Legions that we don’t often see.

Thanks, Nicholas. If you want to read the source material for these stunning conversions, you can pick up the Night Lords Omnibus in paperback and eBook.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Frederic Edwin Church (May 4, 1826 – April 7, 1900)

[​IMG]
    View of Cotopaxi - 1857

[​IMG]
    Cotopaxi - 1862

[​IMG]
    The Icebergs - 1861

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. Juliet316