main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Spectrum Cover By Kostmeyer
    [​IMG]

Thunder Woman and Vigil By Kostmeyer
    [​IMG]
    My latest commissioned work - my character Vigil teaming up with [​IMG] 's iconic Thunder Woman!

This is my second time drawing Thunder Woman, and I'm feeling a bit better avout this one! I think the first time I was so worried about getting that outfit right that I kind of let the rest of the image go a bit. Anyway - moving on! The scenario here is that Vigil has been cornered by bunch of undead space zombies (don't you hate it when that happens?) and calls in reinforcements! I think this is what's known as a dramatic entrance!

If anyone is interested in commissioning art from me, see the note on my main DA page for prices, and then send me a note, I'd be happy to hear from you!

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Snow Cock By Avian-king
    [​IMG]

The Boisterous Bazaar By Avian-king
    [​IMG]
    Here is a common scene, a Sucan run bazaar somewhere in the central part of one of the cities.
    The Sucan have established a few metropolitan cities across Idris IV.

Above:

As families, partners and casual shoppers go about their business, a cheeky Carossian Sucan (green-blue fellow) decided to try his luck stealing from an honest working Atosian (diminutive grey compatriot). Although Atosians have sharper pharyngeal beaks in comparison to most Sucan, they are the smallest of the family. It is more than likely that the fuz-patrol has been called already by one of the onlookers. Probably in the Carossians best interests as Atosians rarely work alone; a flock of angry Atosians can draw lots of punch-holes in record time.

Amongst the onlookers is a female bourbon Palibran Sucan (lass eating a kabob with a sun-hat). She has likely just bought something exotic from the ultraviolet market behind her. The mix of brilliant and manipuling colours, enticing aromas and strange textures really make the whole shopping experience something else. Not all groceries are quite to so invasive, but a great deal are.
    Outside the sensory-market, the Atosian merchant sells various goods, predominantly the hard nuts his people feed on in their native range. It takes significant force to get past the shell but the fatty cholesterol-rich flesh is worth the effort in frigid conditions. Amongst the hardwood-nuts is a culled unguligrade livestock animal, distantly related to the Jauracht of the polar regions. Next to the nuts are "heart of Artichoke" a succulent budding plant that can be steamed like Brussel sprouts or minced into a curry. further still are the parasitic fire-figs, an Epiphyte fruiting vine that grows year-round in the tropics.

Across the way(foreground) we are presented with Purple Wriath-fruit a soft but scally exterior that gives way to violet meat-like flesh. Next to the Wraith-fruit is a fresh-unrendered fish and Jauracht cuts. even closer to the viewer is a radially arranged pile of green Passalá-pods. a soft and leathery skin covers moist interior-clinging seeds.

The buildings are plastic printed over carbon-fiber or steel skeletons. Doors and windows are irregular to emulate the nesting chambers their ancestors favored. Houses are fitted with ports for Sucuva trees to grow through further anchoring homes to the ground and making their fruit available to the residence; sort of like if your house had an apply tree growing through it. Due to the freedom of form of these modular homes, residences can be stacked upon each other. One family's roof is another's deck, being able to fly also means complex infrastructure isn't necessary. grouped Perching bars function as smoking & drinking seats for adults and rowdy teens alike.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Iconic historical stage designs for The Queen of the Night sequence from Mozart’s “Magic Flute” - the first image by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1815, the second by Simon Quaglio in 1818​

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Mom's Little Man (Final Fantasy VII's Cloud Strife and his mother) by Emy-san
    [​IMG]

Let's Save the Planet, Again (FFVII's Cloud Strife, original and remake) by ichsanxiu
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Historically Accurate Hercules By Wickfield
    [​IMG]
    Being the history geek that I am, I guess it is kind of surprising that I haven't really done a "historically accurate" animation series before, but after seeing that awesome Buzzfeed Disney Princess video, and of course all the amazing art on here, I was inspired to make my own. I guess it is better late than never!

As I've said before elsewhere, from an artistic standpoint, I'm not at all bothered by the animated designs of the characters in Disney and Dreamworks films. They weren't documentaries after all so in most cases they didn't need to be accurate, and in animation in particular, it is more important to convey character and style in the designs. I am not trying to "fix" anything because I don't think there is anything to fix! That being said, it can still be fun to learn how your favorite characters might have looked if they had existed in real life. [​IMG]

For my series, I am trying to be as accurate as I possibly can. I'm taking the country of origin, the social class, the culture, and the specific decade into mind (instead of just a general sweep of multiple decades), and also adapting the colors and styles to fit what was available and worn everyday. I will try to keep the characters recognizable where I can, but I want to make my pictures realistic and so some elements of the original designs might be altered in the process.
    ---

When I first decided to draw Hercules (who, in all accuracy, would have been named Herakles), I was just going to put him in accurate Classical Greek Hoplite clothing, since he is wearing a stylized version of a Hoplite's armor in the movie. But when I started looking at the movie, I realized something – it is actually supposed to be taking place during the Mycenaean period of Greek culture, not the classic period, like the art would suggest. Now of course the Disney version does not equal the mythological version in the majority of ways, so I would have been fine assuming this was just a Classic Era re-telling, but even the Disney movie is placing the action, by its own account, in the “Age of Heroes,” which roughly corresponds to the historic Bronze Age. It is apparently supposed to be occurring in a timeline soon after the Trojan War, since the Disney version of Philoctetes (who is mortal) trained heroes like Achilles and Odysseus (in the TV series Hercules also went to school with Helen of Troy and Cassandra). This actually fits in fairly nicely with the “historical” periods when some scholars suggest Hercules/Herakles would have lived, in the 13th century BC. So like a lot of Hollywood “Greek” movies, there is a completely Classical-style art design, with a Bronze Age story – the historic equivalent of dressing the Egyptians in medieval fashion. [​IMG] So for this one, I would just have to ignore the clothing and general art style to create something that Hercules would actually wear if the timeline in the movie were historically accurate. After all, it had lots of 1990s fashion too, but that didn’t mean it was taking place in the 90s.

In doing the research for this drawing this website was a TON of help - it has literally everything you need to know about Bronze Age Greek armor, and I needed to know a lot! It also has some pretty cool reconstructions of the type of armor the heroes of the Iliad would have worn, based on real archaeological finds combined with the detailed descriptions from Homer. Anyway, since Hercules is famous, rich, and a hero, I decided it would make sense to put him in more elaborate armor. Honestly, since Hercules is so strong, he probably wouldn't even need to wear armor, but I think he would anyway as a status symbol, like the way real historical figures did - only wealthy men could afford full suits of bronze armor. On a daily basis, Herc would just wear a linen tunic.

Based on the typical artistic depictions of Trojan War heroes as well as the Mycenaean Warrior Vase, I drew Hercules wearing a bronze cuirass, shoulder guards, shin greaves, and lower protection plates with leather trim. The protection plates and collared cuirass design were probably inspired by the Dendra panoply. His bronze shin greaves are strapped on top of linen guards - when sewn in several layers, linen can actually be fairly effective armor, and are commonly seen in Mycenaean art, along with the woven boots. He is carrying a large round body shield, also inspired by the Warrior Vase - I drew it with a blue background, as some historians believe the interior of a shield, which could be made of wood, could also be painted, and I thought it brought in some of the blue from the cape in his original design. I gave him a typical Bronze Age sword (this one is called a "Naue" and would have been the latest style in Hercules' time), and a scabbard based on the ones in the Mykonos Vase, the earliest depiction of the Trojan Horse.

Hercules' helmet is based on the Pass Lueg helmet which, while not found in Greece, is considered a style possible for Greek warriors anyway (similar ones are depicted on the Mykonos vase). The helmets identified as definitely Greek were all pretty goofy looking, a lot of them were covered with boars' tusks or featured horns kind of like a stereotypical Viking helmet, and I thought this one looked the most regal, and like the Greek helmets most of us are familiar with. The plume on top would be made of dyed horsehair.

Anyway, I hope you like my take on Hercules! Be sure to also check out my version of a Bronze Age Megara . Next up will be another villain - Frollo!

Historically Accurate Megara By Wickfield
    [​IMG]
    Being the history geek that I am, I guess it is kind of surprising that I haven't really done a "historically accurate" animation series before, but after seeing that awesome Buzzfeed Disney Princess video, and of course all the amazing art on here, I was inspired to make my own. I guess it is better late than never!

As I've said before elsewhere, from an artistic standpoint, I'm not at all bothered by the animated designs of the characters in Disney and Dreamworks films. They weren't documentaries after all so in most cases they didn't need to be accurate, and in animation in particular, it is more important to convey character and style in the designs. I am not trying to "fix" anything because I don't think there is anything to fix! That being said, it can still be fun to learn how your favorite characters might have looked if they had existed in real life. [​IMG]

For my series, I am trying to be as accurate as I possibly can. I'm taking the country of origin, the social class, the culture, and the specific decade into mind (instead of just a general sweep of multiple decades), and also adapting the colors and styles to fit what was available and worn everyday. I will try to keep the characters recognizable where I can, but I want to make my pictures realistic and so some elements of the original designs might be altered in the process.
    ---

I hadn’t originally intended to draw Megara in this series, because first of all I don’t plan on drawing ALL the Disney women, and anyway, I knew it would probably turn out a lot like Shoomlah’s awesome version of a Classical Greek Megara, which would be pretty redundant. [​IMG] But when I started looking at Disney’s Hercules, I realized something – it is actually supposed to be taking place during the Mycenaean period of Greek culture, not the classic period, like the art would suggest. Now of course the Disney version does not equal the mythological version in the majority of ways, so I would have been fine assuming this was just a Classic Era re-telling, but even the Disney movie is placing the action, by its own account, in the “Age of Heroes,” which roughly corresponds to the historic Bronze Age. It is apparently supposed to be occurring in a timeline soon after the Trojan War, since the Disney version of Philoctetes (who is mortal) trained heroes like Achilles and Odysseus (in the TV series Hercules also went to school with Helen of Troy and Cassandra). This actually fits in fairly nicely with the “historical” periods when some scholars suggest Hercules/Herakles would have lived, in the 13th century BC. So like a lot of Hollywood “Greek” movies, there is a completely Classical-style art design, with a Bronze Age story – the historic equivalent of dressing the Egyptians in medieval fashion. [​IMG] So for this one (similar to my picture of Jasmine), I would just have to ignore the clothing and general art style to create something that Megara would actually wear if the timeline in the movie were historically accurate. After all, it had lots of 1990s fashion too, but that didn’t mean it was taking place in the 90s.

Finding accurate clothing was hard, though, because the only evidence we have about the way Mycenaean women would dress comes from very fancy religious figures and frescoes – there’s not much information on how a middle class common woman, like Disney’s Meg, would dress. I usually like to use primary sources for my historic Disney pics, but this time I had to start with some artistic interpretations of middle class or working women, like this, this and this. In addition to a few Mycenaean images that showed short-sleeved tunics, I think that these artists also based their works on the clothing worn by the earlier Assyrians, the Phonecian women and later Etruscan women, because these cultures either influenced or shared traits with Mycenaean Greeks.

You don’t really see any pink or lavender clothing in Mycenaean artwork – they probably could have worn it, since they had access to madder dyes, but for a more authentic look I decided to take some artistic license and give Meg a blue dress with black stripes, since blue shows up all the time in Mycenaean art. Black is the color that represented Hades in real-life Greek mythology, and obviously Hades’ realm was blue in the movie, so I thought it was an appropriate combo considering she “serves” him. I left in the orange stripes to add a little warmth and show Meg is not part of the underworld yet! (It is mostly based off this image: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/7…)

In imitation of her trademark ponytail, I did a slightly simplified version of the cascading hairstyles shown in the frescoes, a “poor man’s” version if you will. There is evidence that the Mycenaens also used makeup similar to the Egyptians – kohl and galena for the eyes, red ochre for the lips and cheeks, and lead powder for white foundation. It is unknown whether common women would wear these cosmetics, but the Greeks were highly influenced by the Egyptians during this time period, and Egyptians of all classes wore kohl, at least. The attendants in the frescos also had very stylized eyes, so I decided to compromise a bit and give Meg smoky kohl eyes and slightly more natural makeup elsewhere. Lastly, I added some pieces of jewelry based on surviving Bronze Age examples. She is wearing plain bronze bangles, like the bracelets worn in the Myceanaen art, and spiral earrings to imitate the clasps on her gown in the movie.

Anyway, this was one of the tougher drawings to research so far, and it will probably be controversial or something, but it was kind of fun to have a different take on Megara’s “look,” so I hope you all like it anyway. ^_^

Historically Accurate Marina By Wickfield
    [​IMG]

---

Dreamworks is usually worse about historical accuracy than Disney, and the award winner for most incorrect costuming definitely goes to the movie “Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas”! This movie combined Sinbad stories with Greek legend and was basically all over the place, but the female lead, Marina, was actually pretty cool. [​IMG] So I decided to challenge myself and see if there was any way I could make her look accurate and also keep the spirit of her movie design – and it wasn’t easy!

This movie takes place in the Greek state of Syracuse, in presumably the early 4th century since it is based on the story of Damon and Pythias. (I’ve been going with modern geography in my labels for the series so I’ve marked this drawing as “Italy” instead of “Greece”.) However Proteus introduces Marina as an ambassador from Thrace, a region that spanned a large area of Southeastern Europe. Thrace was made up of several tribes that came together as the Odrysian kingdom in the 5th century, and during that time period the nobility began to adopt some Greek customs and fashions. As a delegate at the beginning of the movie Marina would have probably worn the floor-length Greek chiton or peplos, but I wanted to draw her in clothing she would wear aboard Sinbad’s ship, so I included both Thracian and Grecian touches in a military-inspired outfit.

Thracians were said to wear similar clothing to the Scythians, known to the Greeks as Amazons. These tribal peoples are often shown wearing fitted shirts and trousers with intricate woven designs. Some people interpret the pants as baggier but I drew Marina’s more like leggings, based on the theory that the trousers might have been knitted “sprang” cloth instead. She is also wearing boots in the Thracian style trimmed with leather scallops. Marina would wear a tunic on top of her other garments – a typical Thracian one would be patterned, but I drew a Greek chiton, based on the depictions of the Thracian goddess Bendis as well as some Amazon women. I did add a Thracian patterned cloth that had a shape like her belt in the film. Despite what ancient art may suggest, clothing from this time period, especially for the rich, was actually brightly colored! Ancient dyes could achieve plenty of colors, including the blues, greens, and yellows of Marina’s movie wardrobe.

One trademark of the Thracian in Greek art is their unique “Phyrgian” cap. But it looks *so* much like a Smurf hat to me that I couldn’t bring myself to draw it! Marina would likely wear her cap and her patterned Thracian cloak in cold weather, so my excuse is that it would be more appropriate for the winter scenes in the movie. Instead I drew her wearing a period hairstyle that is sometimes depicted in Amazon art, along with earrings and a bit of kohl on her eyes since it was believed to be functional for eye protection as well as a cosmetic. She is also holding a gold coin from Syracuse to help bribe the sailors on her journey. [​IMG]

Thracian women, compared to Greek women, were considered very bold and fierce, practically barbarian. They fought in battles and wore trousers and sometimes even had tattoos (Marina's sleeves are pushed up so you can see hers)! They were also noted for freely associating with men, which of course was shocking to the Greeks. [​IMG] I think it’s pretty cool that in real life Marina would have no trouble joining Sinbad on his ship, and she definitely wouldn’t put up with any of his sexist nonsense!

Also, just because everyone’s costumes here are so fantasy-inspired, I thought I’d share some images of how Proteus and Sinbad would actually look even though I don’t plan on drawing them for the series. Proteus would wear classical Greek clothing – on board his ship he would probably be dressed much like a Greek soldier with a short chiton, possibly with some pieces of armor if he was expecting battle for the Book of Peace. For the rest of the movie he would wear the floor-length chiton, this image also shows a long sleeved shirt based on a depiction of Hades though I’m not sure if that would be worn in daily life. In either case his hair would definitely be much shorter! As for Sinbad, I’m guessing he is probably not Greek based on his Arabic name – the actual Sinbad stories originated in Baghdad, and since that region was part of the Achaemenid Empire I imagine Sinbad could be Persian in the movie. If he were, he would wear much more utilitarian clothes including trousers and a wrap front shirt like this guy, and maybe a kerchief around his head.

Next week I will be drawing my last non-Disney girl, Odette from The Swan Princess!

Historically Accurate Tzipporah By Wickfield
    [​IMG]

---

I know I said I was going to draw Gaston, but after drawing Anya last week I decided to continue my streak of non-Disney ladies instead! One of the best characters from The Prince of Egypt in my opinion is Tzipporah, but we never get to see enough fanart for her! I really wanted to include her in this series, but it took a LOT of digging to find the kind of clothing she would have really worn, since it is hard to find depictions of Biblical-era clothing that is not fictionalized or European in style. As it turned out, the best place to start was in the art of Ancient Egypt.

Egypt classed its surrounding regions by their ethnicities, so you get fairly regular depictions of Egyptians, Nubians, Libyans, and Semitic peoples who came from the “Near East” which included most of the Arabian Peninsula up into Mesopotamia. As a resident of Midian and part of Abraham’s lineage, Tzipporah would be considered a Semite. Although there are plenty of depictions of Semitic men in Egyptian art, there is only one major depiction of women, from the Beni Hasan tomb paintings. But the mural is from the 18th century BC, about 500 years before Ramses’ II reign, so I kept looking until I found a closer match in the 13th century Canaanite ivories of Tel Meggido. This carving of a woman shows her clothes are longer than those in the earlier mural, although it is tough to tell how it is draped. At this point in time men from the Near East were wearing a patterned mantle wrapped several times around the body without any apparent tunic, so women’s clothing was probably similar. The carved woman’s clothes also resembled artwork of garments from Mesopotamia and Assyria, which makes sense considering they were neighbors and Midianite women likely imitated their fashions if they could.

So for Tzipporah, I used some deductive reasoning and interpreted her draped garment based on the Canaanite carving and Assyrian women’s clothing, while incorporating the pattern from the Beni Hasan mural. She is wearing thonged sandals since going without shoes was a sign of poverty or piety – they are also based on the Beni Hassan and Assyrian art. In the movie, Tzipporah has an interesting hairstyle which is a combination of locks and microbraids. Since Semitic peoples would have been influenced by the Egyptians (and seemed to share similar hairstyles in the mural and carving) I drew Tzipporah with her hair in a 13th century Egyptian style I saw on a statue and a painting of Hathor. As a daughter of a high priest I’m guessing Tzipporah would have some prestige, so she is wearing jewelry based off of the Tel Meggido finds. Like most people of this period, she is also wearing cosmetics including kohl on her eyes and ochre for her lips and cheeks.

It’s weird that with so much Biblical art in history so little of it is actually accurate! And even though it’s probably impossible to know exactly what Tzipporah would have worn, after a ton of obsessing, I hope I got pretty close! Next week we will be doing a major makeover to Marina from Dreamworks’ Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

Also if you'd like to see what Greeks were wearing at the same time as Tzipporah, check out my drawings of Hercules and Megara!

Tagging @GrandAdmiralJello since this migth be up his ally

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Flight of the Infinite By atomcyber
    [​IMG]
    Cover artwork for a music release:

Cosmic Memories 2 By atomcyber
    [​IMG]
    Artwork and video done for Hubrid and his release "Cosmic Memories 2"
    Out june 01 2020

I have done a video with it, check it out:

Master_Rebado and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Dune - Waters By MattRhodesArt
    [​IMG]
    ""Tell me about the waters of your homeworld, Usul."
    Another moment from Dune, using old character designs.

Paul's face is disrupted by the ripples, his vision of himself and his own future is disturbed.
    He's standing in front of a vision of his future self (sideways skull), the worst possible future beginning to haunt him.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bgG1n "

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Gamiel