main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

Från

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Looks like white out for rain etc...I’ve been seeing white out deployed in older comic art. Very clever. So cool we have white gel pens, white charcoal and other tools (that I’ll be surprised if I ever use.)

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kushala is back, (She’s the 1800s Native American Sorceress Supreme possessed by the Spirit of Vengeance that was introduced in Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme series). I enjoyed today’s Spirits of Vengeance Spirit Rider a lot. Beautiful art... I wanted to try drawing a pivotal moment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Gamiel, Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The Scarlet Devil by Gewitter8

Juliet316 , Master_Lok and Gamiel like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    M155--Abomination by Green-Mamba on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Abomination
    First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #90 (April 1967)

Sometime after Bruce Banner escaped the confines of SHIELD following the disastrous attempts at utilizing the Hulk in the Avengers initiative, the former nuclear physicist found himself on the run from even more pursuers than before--and not all of them were military. Among them were gamma mutated animals that the Hulk had to put down in vicious combat, but the worst was a being people could only call an "abomination." A gamma mutate that was ostensibly human in origin like Banner, it took the form of a hideous monstrosity that reveled in the violence and carnage it could unleash. No matter how many times the Hulk put the monster down it would inevitably rise again to torment the jade giant, more grotesquely twisted than it was before.

Evidently someone out there had been attempting to recreate the Gamma Bomb incident that had created the Hulk, but few would believe they were the products of the Freehold, an underground think tank that claimed to be trying to help Banner and cure him, the very same group that had assisted in helping him escape SHIELD. They were the creations of Samuel Sterns, the leader of the Freehold, who was using the organization as a front to gain access to a better understanding of gamma mutations and create his own. The 'abomination' was his most successful. For reasons Sterns could not grasp, the gamma radiation treatments were incredibly hit or miss--of the dozens of human test subjects that were used, only one, a former Freehold security agent named Emil Blonsky, survived. Transformed into a freakish monster with the strength of the Hulk but all of Blonsky's innate intelligence, his body was constantly undergoing rapid change and mutation, making him dangerous and unpredictable--but more than capable of meeting the Hulk in direct combat, providing much needed data for Sterns to perfect his process.

----

Blonsky from then on plays the role of a persistent nightmare for the Hulk, the uncontrollable monster that the people claim the Hulk is who keeps coming back no matter how many times the Hulk kills him.

Abomination is one of those classic villains whose origin isn't actually that important or memorable, and very tied down to old Cold War stuff. He's just more well known for being a Hulk nemesis--you can basically do whatever you want with his origin. So here he's tied to my whole Freehold stuff with Samuel Sterns mentioned in Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk's entries--he's basically a stepping stone on Sterns' path to creating them. Beyond that, he's pretty straightforward--he's a big scary gamma monster that fights the Hulk. 'nuff said.

His design is where I went more hog wild though. I really decided to use the word "abomination" as the central tenant to this design--in the comics he kinda just looks like a big lizard man. I took that base and tried to twist it in as many horrible ways as I could, using a lot of the body horror imagery from the Immortal Hulk series as an inspiration. What I was thinking is that he's someone that the gamma radiation has basically torn apart, and then it put him back together wrong. Everything is wrong about him. Weird tubes and tendrils, his face looks like it's melting, he's got too many teeth, and there are excess human body parts growing on different parts of his person--they're basically extra arms, extra faces, extra teeth, extra ribs, etc. I imagine each time the Hulk puts him down he comes back looking even worse.

He's one of the few characters I fudged the official height of. For whatever reason his official height listed on the Marvel wiki is like six foot eight, but he looked so tiny compared to the Hulk and just didn't fit how I had designed him as this hulking monster, so I just made him roughly the same height I made the Hulk.

M156--Doc Samson by Green-Mamba on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Doc Samson
    First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #141 (July 1971)

Doctor Leonard Samson, usually referred to as "Doc Samson," was a world renowned psychiatrist and psychologist who was brought in by the Freehold to assist them after they claimed to have come up with a method of curing the Hulk. Sometime after escaping the Avengers' custody, Bruce Banner contacted his would be support network about a machine he had thought of. Called the "Cathexis Ray Projector," designed in tandem with Banner himself, it was created to siphon gamma radiation from mutates like the Hulk. Samson was brought on to figure out the best way to calm the Hulk persona within Banner before draining him entirely. The process seemed to be working at first, but eventually the Hulk fought back against their collective best intentions, overpowering the projector's gamma capacitors in a display of terrible power. Unleashed as the Hulk once more, the jade giant brought the Freehold facility down around them. Most escaped with their lives, but Samson was trapped beneath the rubble, exposed to the Cathexis Ray Projector as its capacitors failed.

Bathed in excess gamma radiation that had been drained from Banner for days as authorities dug him out of the rubble, Samson came out a changed man. Gamma coursed through his veins, granting him enormous physical might--as well as causing him to grow excessive amounts of green hair. Over the course of his recovery, it was discovered that the gamma radiation inside his body was relatively stable, unlike most mutates, the excessive energy excreting out of his body through his hair. Provided he paced himself and kept himself regulated, he was free to live his life--but having seen the world that Banner had on his shoulders, Samson knew he could not stand idly by. Fashioning himself as a minor superhero, he fought to protect the Hulk from the outside forces that haunted him in an effort to help change the world's view on the poor jade giant that just wanted to be left alone.

----

Samson is *pretty* sure his condition is stable but he always keeps a heart rate monitor on himself at all times.

Doc Samson is a fun member of Hulk's supporting cast. I always thought it was kinda funny that he got off so easy compared to most gamma mutates--he gets super strong and his hair is green. So I wanted to put some emphasis that he has to keep himself in check here just because. Other than that, his origin is pretty straightforward, the Cathexis Ray machine is actually lifted from his original comics origin. I just linked him to my whole Freehold thing.

For his design... I always felt that Samson should have a beard. His superpower is his hair, right? He should be hairy. I had to wrestle with his outfit for a while, I couldn't exactly decide on what direction I wanted to take him in. I had some that looked more like plainclothes, and some that looked more tactical. I eventually settled on a set of tights that kinda sorta look like what I have the She-Hulks wearing, just to visually connect the greater "Hulk family." The lightning bolt on his chest is supposed to be a symbol he came up with from his heart rate monitor on his wrist--it's kinda sorta like a symbol of restraint, I guess you could say? A symbol that shows the outside world that gamma mutates are not inherently scary, maybe?

In some ways his design is kinda like a direct opposite of my Abomination, the complete other end of the spectrum of gamma mutates.

M157--Ricky Jones by Green-Mamba on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Ricky Jones
    First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962)

Erica "Ricky" Jones had always had a rough way of it, bouncing from foster home to foster home. Never much for education, Ricky dropped out of high school early. So when an alien being with gigantic eyes appeared to her in a dream and marked her as its herald, she was more than a little surprised. Waking to her body now branded with the glowing mark of the creature that appeared to her, young Ricky now had a sense that something else was seeing everything she saw. And from then on, her life was anything but unremarkable. For reasons she could not explain, she always seemed to be nearby when super powered events took place--and none was more life changing than the Gamma Bomb incident.

Approached by a government official after witnessing a mutant skirmish in the New Mexican desert, she was told to visit a facility to meet with them to discuss her mysterious "destiny force" that guided her toward catastrophe after catastrophe. Unbeknownst to Ricky, this was the site of Doctor Bruce Banner's Gamma Bomb test, and she was nearly incinerated in the blast. Only the timely intervention of Banner himself saved her, the gamma radiation instead entering the doctor's body and transforming him into what would eventually be known as the Hulk. Helping the Hulk escape the blast and assisting Banner confiscate his Gamma Bomb plans, Ricky traveled the world alongside the beast, becoming the only person the Hulk trusted. But Ricky came to realize, after the Hulk's capture by the newly created Avengers, that it was her unconscious nature to witness destiny that drew much of the conflict to her green friend, and Ricky chose to flee on her own journey to understand why the Watcher had chosen her.

----

After a while Ricky comes to realize that her presence in the Gamma Bomb testing site was likely no accident--someone out there knew of her abilities and wanted her gone.

A rare two-fer this week! And Ricky Jones? Not Rick Jones?

Yeah! My take on Rick Jones is one of my most altered from the source material. First off, I elected to make them a girl instead of a guy, so she's "Erica Jones," who goes by Ricky. She's also had her ethnicity altered. I also drew some inspiration from Ultimate Rick Jones by making her the herald of the Watcher--albeit with heavily modified abilities. I wanted a major role for my Rick Jones interpretation, as the character in the comics for most of their history is them flitting from one disparate concept to another. Rick had been the Hulk's sidekick, an honorary Avenger, a "Bucky" replacement for Captain America, entwined with Captain Marvel, transformed into A-Bomb, and now a bunch of stuff in Immortal Hulk and such--so in some ways they're kind of a relic of an old way of storytelling that just kind of sticks around because they're well known. I felt the Watcher connection could be a way of keeping them relevant so that's what I went for here. So Ricky is connected to the Watcher's disappearance I mentioned in Uatu's entry. You can think of her basically as UATU's eyes on the outside world while he's being held... somewhere.

So yeah, because I basically threw everything about Rick Jones away when coming up with my interpretation that meant I could more or less do whatever the heck I wanted for her look. So I just did whatever felt right--I wanted her to kinda look like this kinda counter culture kid who's seen a lot of weird stuff in her life. I'm imagining this is something she wears while on the run? Like just chilling at a roadside motel or something. The marks on her chest and arms are the brand of the Watcher, the eye symbol taken from Ultimate Rick Jones' Captain Marvel design. I originally had her wearing the Nega Bands, but I eventually decided she had enough on her plate and did not need to be connected to that story too.

M039--Luke Cage by Green-Mamba on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Luke Cage
    First Appearance: Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1 (June 1972)

Wrongfully imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit, Carl Lucas was offered early parole when the scientist Noah Burstein was offered the chance to perfect his super soldier process at the prison Lucas was kept in. With rising public anxiety over SHIELD's corporate super soldier serum contracts Burnstein, who felt he was closest to replicating Erskine's lost process, was forced into less savory channels to test his procedure. During the procedure, however, a racist prison guard tampered with the machines in an attempt to stop Lucas's bid for parole. In the end, the process was deemed a failure, but true to his word Burnstein got Lucas released from prison.

It was a couple weeks later that Lucas, frustrated with the difficulties of finding work after prison, discovered his body was actually undergoing changes--his strength had increased tremendously and his skin had become so impermeable that he was essentially bulletproof. With finding work difficult and realizing there was potentially a market for his new abilities out there he legally had his name changed to Luke Cage and started a new business--Hero for Hire.

----

This would eventually put him in contact with a man named Danny Rand, who helps him expand their clientele by working together. The outfit depicted here would be the one he takes on when working with Rand.

So I guess I don't have much to say about Cage's design. He's basically designed after his more recent depictions in the Mighty Avengers and Thunderbolts. The symbols on the shoulders of his shirt are supposed to be the letter "H," for the Heroes for Hire (I based the design of the "H" on the logo from the 90s incarnation of the team). I was going to give him some bullet holes in his outfit but felt it was too stereotypical of Cage. Like I said before these are his clothes he wears after starting to work with Danny Rand, kinda based on Underarmour work out clothes, I thought it helped sell him more as a superhero, which is all part of the marketing for him.

Sorry no updates last week, but I do want to thank all of those who wished me a happy birthday two days ago.

---

*UPDATED JULY 7, 2021*

Been a little while since I gave an old character a fresh coat of paint. I felt that the Heroes for Hire could use a new pass, so here is a redone version of Luke Cage. I felt my original design didn't have enough cues from his comic designs, so I tried to work in more into this look on top of giving him better proportions and colors. He's still got a lot of his modern Thunderbolts era design in him, especially now with the steel wristbands or whatever they're supposed to be, but I tried to put in more things from his classic 70s era design, so the colors are brighter, his shirt is kinda open, he's got some yellow on his boots, and he's got a chain worked into his belt. The open shirt and chain in his belt I got from another fan redesign by JT Millstead on Pinterest. He's got some fun redesigns, so check him out.

Overall I think he looks more flashy, better to sell his hero for hire business. I still feel this is something that Iron Fist outfits him with when they start their business together.

I'll upload my redone Iron Fist later this week.

To compare to the original Luke Cage design, see here: i.imgur.com/cd9SJwE.png

M040--Iron Fist by Green-Mamba on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Iron Fist
    First Appearance: Marvel Premiere #15 (May 1974)

The wayward heir of the Rand fortune, Danny Rand and his parents went down in a plane crash in the Himalayas over a decade prior. Thought to have perished alongside his parents, Danny had actually somehow survived, but records of his time in the interim are scant at best. When Danny came back to the states after his reappearance he found that, though his parents' company was long since gone, he was the sole heir of their vast fortune. But with no direction in life he felt lost--not only did he have access to enormous amounts of money but nothing to really do with it, during his time off the grid he had gained fantastic abilities.

He knew few would believe him, but in those ten years he lived in an ancient hidden city in the Himalayas known as K'un-Lun, where he was trained as a master of the martial arts and unlocked an ancient power within him, known to the residents of K'un-Lun as the power of Shou-Lao the Undying, allowing him to harness its power inside himself, channeling itself into superhuman blows--and his most powerful feat was the "Immortal Iron Fist." But in the outside world he didn't see a proper outlet for them. It wasn't until he heard of the bullet proof man calling himself "Luke Cage" offering his services as a hero for hire did he see an opportunity. Coming in contact with Cage, they struck a deal to become partners in their Heroes For Hire business, Danny finally having a proper outlet for both his fortune and abilities he could feel proud of.

----

This of course being the outfit that he starts wearing as part of this new business venture. And of course he's charging an iron fist there.

So I decided to make Cage and Iron Fist's outfits share some common design elements, as I really wanted to sell them as partners in (fighting) crime. So he's wearing kinda spendy looking sportswear like Cage was, though of course he's got his chest exposed because you gotta see that dragon tattoo, man. I also gave him a bit of a popped collar to call back to his original design as well. I couldn't decide at first if I wanted to give him a mask or not but ended up going with it, as he's pretty boring looking without it, honestly. Also, I decided that my Danny would not be a blonde haired blue eyed white guy because, honestly, I've never liked the "mighty whitey" angle of Iron Fist's backstory, but didn't want to just make him Asian either as that felt too stereotypical. So I imagine my Rand family has some Central American heritage, just to be a bit different.

Uh, I got nothin' else to say here I guess.

*UPDATED JULY 9, 2021*

As promised, I've given Iron Fist a makeover as well, following my redone version of Luke Cage. I managed to work a lot more of his classic look here--and I mean his *original* design from the seventies, exposed calves and everything. He now wears a kind of jumpsuit of sorts? My idea here was that it's something he has made for himself that resembles outfits they wore in K'un-Lun. I specifically imagine the mask as a K'un-Lun training mask that he adopts. It's overall a pretty major glow up in comparison.

I also have uploaded a new version of my lineup of the first one-hundred characters with the updated versions of Luke Cage and Iron Fist on it. Go check it out!

Compare to the original Iron Fist here: i.imgur.com/Zbkkj5a.png

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    saucy seaside postcard

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fandom Father's Day by mikabear1 on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Happy Father's day! here's a piece I did of some decently well-known nerd culture dads/ adoptive dads. for those who don't know all of them, we have Mando and Grogu, Geralt and Ciri, Kratos and Atreus, Lee and Clementine, Logan and Laura, Joel and Ellie.

commissions open. Message me for info. NO FREE ART!

NOTE: IF YOU SHARE, PLEASE TAG ME ON WHICHEVER SOCIAL MEDIA YOU'RE USING! MY INSTA AND TWITTER ARE: @meganhuang5

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.