main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Terrible Lizards: Longnecks by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    I decided to split up my previous deviation into smaller pictures with better quality.
    So first out are the three classic sauropods, Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus and Brontosaurus. These three were a big part of my childhood along with many others.
    I based the colors of the Brontosaurus on the toy from Dino Riders while i decided to give the other two more boring coloration since they often had such in retro paleoart. Big, dull, slow and all feet on the ground was they way dinosaurs were drawn back in the day, way back.

Richard Kuulme (C) 2021

Terrible Reptiles: Armour and Horns by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Oldschool depictions of armoured dinosaurs seems to always show them as squat, low to the ground animals. I kinda like this approach and thats what i have tried to replicate here as well. They looks like they dont need to move around so much and trust their armour to protect them without actually using it. Anyways, fun to draw and who knows, maybe i do more of these guys.

For better look at the Triceratops and Stegosaurus, click the link.

www.artstation.com/artwork/WKR…

Terrible Lizards: Ornithopods by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Just like the theropods, ornithopods were shown with their tail dragging on the ground and exepct for Igunaodon, they were more or less defenseless. Duckbills were belived to have fled to the water in order to escape a hungry carnosaur.

Parasaurolophus was even believed to have used its crest as a snorkel. Igunanodon was the one that could defend itself with its thumb spikes, jabbing them into the neck of a carnosaur.

Terrible Reptiles: Tyrannosaurus on the hunt by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    " A very hungry Tyrannosaurus has let its hunger cloud its judgement and has driven it to attack a slow by heavily armoured Scolosaurus. The herbivourus reptile relies on its thick armour to protect it from the nasty jaws of the giant carnosaur. The Tyrannosaurus might soon find out that this is not a meal worth the effort"

You asked for a vintage Rex, here it is [​IMG]

Richard Kuulme (C) 2021

Terrible Reptiles: Carnivorous Dinosaurs by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Oldschool predatory dinsoaurs were shown as both savage and clumsy monsters that would be scary to behold. I love retro, giant theropods and they look pretty charming to. The old vision of these predators were that they mostly relied on carcasses to survive, that they were to slow to hunt other dinosaurs.It was also back in the days that all big carnivores were lumped into one group called Carnosaurs and all smaller into Coelorusaurs.

But i have also seen the controrary, being active and devastating killers. A lone Allosaurus could kill a fully grown Brontosaurus for example. Sharptooth in land before time is great example for this.

Richard Kuulme (C) 2021

Terrible Reptiles: Compsognathus Corallestris by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    In the seventies, it was belived that Compsognathus longiceps was not the only species of the genera. One specimen was found with was seemed to be flippers and was thought to be a new species of compsognathus. It ws belived to be a more aquatic version but it was later shown the the arms had been damaged during fossilization.

I think its a pretty intresing idea that dinosaurs could have evolved flippers for swimming, which they did (penguins). I just fel i had to draw this odd looking compsognathus species.

Richard Kuulme 2021

Terrible Reptiles: Diplodocus with trunk by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    This is another classic theroy, first speculated in the 1970´s by Robert Bakker and Walter Coombs. Since sauropods nostrils were belived have sat high up on the head, it was speculated that they might have supported a trunk. Similar to an elephant who has its nostril openings at the top of its skull as well.

But we now know that Sauropods lacked the muscles that could support a trunk and that their nostrils were placed in front of the skull like other dinosaurs. But its a pretty neat concpet to draw [​IMG]

Richard Kuulme 2021

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Proto-mammals collection by HellraptorStudios on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture that i have had laying around for months now but now i decided to upload it. Proto-mammals or Mammal-like reptiles as they were once called ( i still call them that ) is somthing i havent done so much. I was goin to do more than those featured but inspiration and motivatio ran out.

Richard Kuulme 2021

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Will that make Hans General Chang? :p

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Strife Awitan by Dylon Briones

Iron_lord, Juliet316 and Gamiel like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aberration, Prion by Level9Drow on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    My first entry in the aberration type. Mid World is not going to have any TSR, WotC created creatures in it. It is it's own unique world, not just another D&D campaign where they respin all the same creatures in a different way. I love traditional D&D, but I want this campaign setting to seem unique and not just another universe within D&D. I hardly get to play so when someone DMs I am not picky.

However, if you are making a world with no D&D copywritten creatures this leaves out a lot of good ones. The good thing is that you create creatures correctly in accordance to mythology that TSR and WotC have massively messed up. Like Kobolds are just the German names for Gnomes, not reptilians dragon midgets. Basilisk are serpents not multi legged lizards. They do a LOT wrong, which inspired me to ditch their creatures and lore altogether. But I have to fill some niches.

Prions are one of those niche fillers. If you couldn't already tell they are inspired by and fill the niche of what Ilithid or Mind Flayers would have filled, vaguely. They will of course be unique and have their own style. But what is a fantasy world without a race of psionic, tyrannical vaguely humanoid aberrations? We NEED them.

Prions are a creation of mine of course and have been used in our gaming groups for a while. They are from Azethoth, the corrupted "Galaxy" (in Mid World Galaxies are incomprehensible beings but more on that another time). Azethoth played a different tune out of harmony from the rest of them in the Pleroma, the "first note" or vibration. As such the life forms within it are what we know as aberrations. There are no "Far Realms" as a "plane of existence" as there are no "planes" in the universe where Mid World exist. It is simply the universe with galaxies and stars.

Prions came from this corrupted galaxy to Ea (the Milky Way), the Galaxy Mid World exist in. They aren't servants of Azethoth, but were shaped by it's warped existence. As such they hold no value over life in Ea and seek only to subjugate it, feed on it and most of all, use the biomass of Ea to form their technology and tools and as a resource for those technologies. Naturally as you would expect they are massively psionic and are seen by Mid World mortals who know about them as the "Tyrants from Between the Stars".

I hope you enjoy their aesthetics.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    One Last Cigarette | Commission by Pino44io on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "This is an Aksuni (Basically an Ethiopian) soldier stationed in Nubia (Sudan). After 15 years of fighting a local Islamist revolution, the region is finally pacified by the year 1901. The region’s population has also been devastated due to the rebellion’s poor planning. As such, plans for Aksuni settlers to come into the agricultural lands of Nubia are beginning to come to fruition. Entire areas that were completely depopulated by the war are set aside for Aksuni settlers, many of who are the families of soldiers who fought in the war to subjugate Nubia. In the eyes of Rome’s advisors, (The Byzantines) the recently modernized Aksuni military fought well. The victory in Nubia most importantly, opened the way for the construction of railways into Sudan and further into the interior of Africa. With plans to divide “the uncivilized parts of Africa” being made, Aksuni has secured itself as one of the major beneficiaries of this new imperial order about to come".

Thank you for commissioning, comments and likes. Really appreciate this!

For commissions check out this small price sheet. Prices for each individual piece will vary based off the complexity and time needed. I have a job and a real life so it can take me between one week or two weeks for finishing commissions. If you are interested or have any questions please send me a note, or write me a letter on pino28kkio@gmail.com

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Farewell photo | Space 1889 | Commission by Pino44io on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Commission for Greatdictator and DeadBrain. Characters are based on the players descriptions.

Space: 1889 is a tabletop role-playing game of Victorian-era space-faring, created by Frank Chadwick and originally published by Game Designers' Workshop from 1988 to 1991 and later reprinted by Heliograph, Inc. in 2000 and 2001.

The game presented an alternate history in which certain discredited Victorian scientific theories were instead found to be true and have led to the existence of new technologies. In the setting, Thomas Edison invented an "ether propeller" which could propel ships through the "luminiferous aether" (the universal medium that permeates space, based on a now outdated scientific theory), and traveled to Mars in 1870 accompanied by Scottish soldier of fortune Jack Armstrong, where they discovered that the planet was inhabited. By the time of the game's setting in 1889, the great powers have used Edison's invention to extend their colonies and interests to the inner planets of the solar system. Venus and Mars have been colonized by the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Russia. Belgium has only colonized Mars and Italy has only colonized Venus whilst Japan and the United States maintain economic and scientific enclaves on Mars. There are no colonies or bases on the Moon. Only the United Kingdom maintains a (scientific) base on Mercury.

The inner planets reflect an evolutionary progression, the planets nearest to the sun being younger than those farther out. All planets have Extraterrestrial life, and most bear native sentient species. Mercury is primeval and tide locked, and possesses only rudimentary lifeforms. Venus is a vast swamp world dominated by hulking reptiles and lizard men. The Moon is an airless dead world, but with mysteries hidden deep beneath the surface. Mars is an ancient desert planet in decline, divided into warring decadent city-states clinging to a failing system of canals. Vulcan has died and become the asteroid belt. Due to limitations in technology the outer worlds remain unreachable and unexplored. There are also hints that some worlds may have terrain hidden beneath their surface.

One of the treasures that spurred the Europeans to Mars was "liftwood": a rare cultivated plant with anti-gravity properties that allowed for the construction of giant floating ships. While the Earthers used Martian sky galleons at first, they later constructed their own armored, steam powered flyers.

Since wireless was not invented yet in 1889, communication between Earth and Mars is handled by orbital heliograph stations. The game contains much more detail on the flora, fauna, and peoples of the planets. The majority of the published material is centered on Mars.

Thank you for commissioning, comments and likes. Really appreciate this!

For commissions check out this small price sheet. Prices for each individual piece will vary based off the complexity and time needed. I have a job and a real life so it can take me between one week or two weeks for finishing commissions. If you are interested or have any questions please send me a note, or write me a letter on pino28kkio@gmail.com

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ludwig von Drake thinking of Matilda by TedJohansson on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Here is a drawing I made to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Ludwig von Drake. He was first seen in a cartoon in the first episode of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", 24 September 1961. The same day he also was seen as a painting in a Sunday comic strip. The first real appearance in comics was the day after when Donald introduces him to Daisy.

Don Rosa had plans to use Ludwig von Drake as a husband for Scrooge's sister Matilda McDuck in the Duck Family Tree but the Egmont editors of 1993 told Don not to include him in the final Tree. However, Don included Ludwig just as he as intended in an "inofficial" version of the Duck Family Tree. For me it's obvious that Ludwig and Matilda are a couple so I thought it would be nice to includer her in this drawing.

Facebook: facebook.com/tedjohanssonsweden
    Instagram: ted_johansson_sweden
    Twitter: tedjohansson_sw

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    3+ h no post...

Swordsmanship Experiment by NikosBoukouvalas on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    It's good to be back. Hope I get to keep a resemblance of upload schedule this time, though my laptop is growing increasingly slower. Keyboard is also in a pretty bad shape. I probably need to invest on a new PC soon. In any case, this is another experiment at several things: Digital Paper texture and watercolor brushes, action lines as well as a storyboard style of successive poses to suggest precise movement; the pointing blade is supposed to twist into a right-to-left slash, then come down into a left-to-right before lunging into a thrust. Whether I have succeeded into conveying all that stuff is debatable but all in all I am very happy with the lessons I got out of this experiment. Looking closer, I could have spent more time, cleaning the paper texture and smoothing some rough brushes, but I have a lot of other sketches to paint and my eyes are getting sore [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.