main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The harvest by Dariusz Nowak

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Red Planet 01 by Annis Naeem

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Rescue Siren Nim by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    One of five lead characters from a property my wife, Jessica Steele-Sanders, created: "Rescue Sirens." This is the most recent drawing I've done of Rescue Siren Nim, part of a larger poster. I've learned the hard way to draw each element of a larger composition separately, and then piece it all together at the end. This allows not only for changes later on, but for the elements and characters to be used for other things, making the work more effective and useful!

To find out more about the book, check out shop.rescuesirens.com

You can also follow "Rescue Sirens" on social media at www.facebook.com/rescuesirens and www.instagram.com/rescuesirens

Rescue Siren Kelby by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    The second of the Rescue Sirens, Kelby. This story is set in Miami Beach, where a group of mermaids hide in plain sight, posing as lifeguards. There are several things I really like about this take on a mermaid story, not the least of which is the different sorts of tails each girl has. Matching tails to the traits and personality types was one of the first things my wife, Jessica Steele-Sanders, came up with. Kelby, here, has a Tiger Shark tail. More to follow in the coming days!

If you'd like to read more, visit shop.rescuesirens.com

You can also follow "Rescue Sirens" on social media at www.facebook.com/rescuesirens and www.instagram.com/rescuesirens

Rescue Siren Echo by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    As promised, this is the third of the five main characters from the Rescue Sirens story. This is Echo, who sports the tail of a Blue Marlin. She's the most athletic of the Sirens, and the fastest. This was a fun character to color, taking my cues from nature when it came to her tail. With such diverse tails between all the characters, it's a judgment call as to the relative weight. When the tails get too thin they can feel snake-y. I've used self-colored lines on these characters, which is a term I picked up in animation. Basically, it means there are no black lines. Even the darkest lines are shy of true black.

Questions? We also have an FAQ: bit.ly/rescuesirens-faq

Rescue Siren Pippa by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    ...Now with description!

Pippa is the fourth of the five lead Rescue Sirens. She has a tail inspired by a Caribbean Monk Seal (although she's still a "normal" mermaid, not a selkie, since she's not Scottish). For more info on Caribbean Monk Seals -- which are now extinct -- visit bit.ly/rescuesirens-seal

Even though I like all the Rescue Sirens characters, Pippa is one of my very favorites. I love her character and she's really fun to draw.

Rescue Siren Maris by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Maris rounds out the five lead characters in "Rescue Sirens." She happens to be the other of my favorites, although I must say, I do love them all. Maris has the tail of a common dolphin, and hers is the most difficult for me to draw accurately, and also to balance its weight. For me, dolphin tails are a constant challenge, as they have a very particular structure and shape that, if not adhered to, lose their integrity. As for Maris's character, she's the most fashionable and culturally savvy of the Sirens. She has a little of Thurston Howell's DNA in her character, which makes me SO happy.

I also should mention that all five of these Rescue Sirens were drawn and inked traditionally, but they were colored on my iPad with Procreate. I have a little routine nowadays where at the end of the day, when I don't feel like sketching and inking anymore, I watch TV with Jess and color on my iPad. I must say, Procreate is amazing.

Rescue Sirens Poster by alohalilo on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Here is the completed poster, with all the characters placed and background elements added. I rarely "paint" backgrounds, as it's not my strong suit, but this was something I felt needed a fully rendered environment. My favorite thing about the finish was adding the fish. They all needed to be multiplied, as fish travel in groups. There is one lone fish, which isn't too hard to find. This was a long project, which started with a bunch of conceptual roughs, which Jess went through and picked the ones that worked the best. Nim, Maris, Kelby, Echo, and Pippa's poses needed to reflect their individual personalities, as well as lock together tightly in a single compact composition. Tails complicate things immensely. Added to that, this was planned to be a large-scale display that would be divided into three free-standing uprights that would be printed separately and pieced together on site at San Diego Comic-Con. That meant that the seams couldn't go through any of the girls' faces when divided into even thirds. So, there's an invisible set of measurements that governed the characters' placement which is as important as the aesthetic considerations.

Now, while the "sirens" in "Rescue Sirens" is a deliberate reference to both the noisemakers on first responders' vehicles as well as a popular term for a mermaid, the origin of the term is a little more complicated than that. Lest you scholars of Greek mythology think that we didn't do our research prior to developing "Rescue Sirens," we submit to you a blog post explaining the various uses and definitions of the word "siren" throughout history -- and how we choose to use it when it comes to our specific property: bit.ly/sirensVSmermaids

Ahsoka's Tano and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jiang by WMDiscovery93 on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    So jumped on the Year of the Tiger bandwagon and made a tiger character for myself, with a lil nudge from Alishka.

Meet Jiang! A monk who has control of mystic Hung Ga Iron rings that can channel her qi into powerful energy whips or armors. ^^

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. Juliet316