main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Gillian Anderson got pregnant very early in the run of The X-Files and so, in the universe of the show, they closed the X-Files and put Mulder & Scully in two different departments, so she had limited screen time and was always just sitting down. Then they wrote the abduction arc in order to facilitate her absence for a couple of episodes. That arc introduced the iconic recurring characters Alex Krycek & X, gave us the show's first mythology two-parter Duane Barry/Ascension and resulted in the episode One Breath, which is one of my top ten episodes of the show easily. Maybe one of my top five.

What I'm saying is, if you're actually creative, you can turn obstacles and difficulties into inspiration and create even better art than you would have otherwise. I mean, it was early in the show's run; they could have just fired Gillian Anderson. And think how devastating that would have been to the show. It most likely would have killed it. Instead, the show kicked itself right up to the next level. If you're firing people for things like pregnancies, you're not being creative enough.

EDIT: And then they were still paying off the abduction arc in seasons three & four with the arc when Scully had cancer and you get Memento Mori, Leonard Betts, Never Again, Elegy, the Gethsemene/Redux/Redux II three-parter, the Patient X/The Red & the Black two-parter and probably my very favorite two-parter of the series, Piper Maru/Apocrypha which introduced the Black Oil plot-line. That was the show at its absolute best and most emotionally devastating. And it all started because Gillian Anderson got pregnant and they were like, "Well, we're not going to fire her."

God I love The X-Files.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    TrandoJedi, Darth_Foo, MrZAP and 12 others like this.
  2. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Star trek in the 1990's did some excellent work arounds to allow Both Nana Vistor,who played Major Kira on DS9, and Roxann Dawson who Played B'lana Torres in Voyager continue to work while pregnant. Really all it takes is use of camera angles or creative story telling to either hid thr fact the actress is pregnant or incorporate it into the story somehow.

On DS9 they currently had a female recurring character Keiko who was pregnant and the actress was not pregnant in real life. When they found out Visitor was really pregnant they wrote a story where after an shuttle accident Doctor Bashir had to transfer the fetus into the only othet womb availble(Kira's) in order tonsave Keiko and the unborn baby's life.(whats even funnier is Siddig El Fadhil who played The Doctor is the Real life father of Visitors child)

For Roxann Dawsom they gave her a jacket to wear that doubled as something engineers on trek should always have had anyway, something with pockets to hold tools, and used camera angles or hid her belly behind desks or other things.

Firing a woman because she is pregnant is stupid in film and tv.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    TrandoJedi, MrZAP, Diggy and 2 others like this.
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I mean, Melissa Benoist was pregnant at the end of last season of Supergirl and they figured that out. And, they even delayed this season to accomodate it. Yes, she is the star so that kind of necessitates it, but I also think about when Jesse L Martin hurt his back severely in 2019 and had to vanish from the show for a while. They gave him an arc of taking his newborn daughter to visit his son and they then expanded his wife's role and frankly it resulted in some great storylines for her. And then, when he was healed, he just returned.

I also recall Frasier when Jane Leeves was pregnant and they turned it into an arc where she was gaining weight due to recent trauma and so she needed to go away to treat it. They didn't hide the pregnancy itself and the trip simply allowed her to have the kid and go on maternity leave before returning.

So yeah, add me to those who thinks firing someone for pregnancy or injury or whatever is stupid. To me it just reflects a lack of creativity and problem solving.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not just stupid, it's criminal.

MrZAP, FatBurt, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Gates McFadden in TNG also. She wore the lab coat to hide her pregnancy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Well that certainly raises a bunch of horrifying implications.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    MrZAP, FatBurt, Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There needs to be a thing where in other industries, you're not allowed to berate those under you. I remember when I was young and temping during college, I worked filing paperwork in a company's HR office, and I ran into a disciplinary report kind of thing. A chef who had once dropped something and picked it up and used it had dropped a tomato and his boss saw it and remarked: "oh are you gonna use that tomato too?" The boss was the one getting discipline. Because at work you don't treat people like ****, even if they mess up. But for some reason it's okay in the entertainment industry because a particular le artiste is some kind of strange genius and that makes him or her yelling at underlings okay.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's more because they get an attitude of "anyone could do your job, you're replaceable". Even though in my experience very few people can do support jobs well. And we got paid like ****.

Man I don't miss it.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Can you imagine Jeff Bezos working in an Amazon warehouse? None of those super-wealthy super-"successful" people could survive an entry-level support job.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I also could not imagine my boss who used to piss off at 2pm every day to do fun stuff being able to do my detail oriented continuity job AFTER a ten hour day in the writers' room.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A couple years ago Bezos admitted in an interview that he only made three decisions a day and was done with work by noon.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That sounds very familiar. My boss did about that and he made over a million bucks a year. Pennies compared to Bezos but still.

The one boss I worked for who I know would have survived frontline work in his own shop was Matt Weiner. That guy works harder than everyone else on the show to make it perfect. Literally sent the researchers home at 9pm daily but would be there until 2am himself.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    $149,000 A MINUTE

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh ****, I’m poor Bezos.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And all of a sudden, y'all start understanding why us commies have work camps and gulags....

Rew likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    To send your political enemies and Baptists to?

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    “Work.”

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Darth Guy likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Is Obesilix physically even capable of doing this?

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's called the first world, Vivec. It's great. We have labour laws and laws and policies workplace bullying and the like. One day the US might join it.

I mean you laugh but the number of communists who also are like "man, in communism I'd either be an anime curator or maybe a ski instructor"... gulags and work camps are just because communists are workshy, terrible people who have to compel others to do hard labour, without even a salary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Dude has not aged well.

dp4m likes this.