main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Immolation scene

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Alpha-Red, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obi-Wan tries to help out Anakin, but Anakin lashes out at him?

This was supposed to be the defining moment of the prequel trilogy...I sorta wanted to see something more dramatic and unexpected like that. Especially since the only other Vader vs. Obi-Wan duel was so emotionless.

2. rajarshinag

rajarshinag Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2003
    obi wan had gone to mustafar to kill anakin, that is the reason he left the life of a jedi, it was too much for him, he could have just as easily carried on a proxy war on the empire but he didnt, he had lost too much, also the episode 4 duel was much more emotionless coz obi knew what he had done, and he knew he wont win, just hobble around a bit. he also knew he was immortal no matter what vader did (if vader hadnt killed him, he would have lived a few years more and then become a ghost)

3. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Obi's job was not to ask questions, it was not to save Anakin, it was not to protect Padme, it was not to even preserve his (Obi's) own happiness. It was to Stop. The. Sith. (Stop tyranny, stop torture, stop atrocities like Alderaan.) He tries to find a way that may not involve fighting even though he has already heard Anakin state his intention to rule an Empire - establish his own tyranny. Obi states his allegiance: To the Republic, to democracy - in turn Anakin issues an ultimatum. Then his job is clear. He tries several times to find a way out but in the end - duty wins out over his personal feelings and he "does what he must."

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    thats why the jedi suck so much[face_devil] .too much "i'll do what i must" and too little thinking.too much of a zealot and too little of a human being

5. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    It was just so sad that things had gone so wrong between them that he would rather leave Anakin to die in such a heartless way

Heartless? and you dont think anakin wouldve done the same to kenobi. I mean this is the man that choked his wife in front of Kenobi. I do agree that it was sad that things fell apart though.

6. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    "Human nature was what we were put on earth to rise above."

If Obi was more "human" and less "Jedi" he would never have succeeded on Mustafar and at best Anakin would have ruled as a tyrannical despot for a long time, with no chance of redemption - at worst he would have had led Luke and Leia down that dark path with him.

7. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    and that is bad because ??....[face_devil][face_devil] [face_devil]

PS: i just cant beat your philosophical arguments:_|

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    But by the "do what I must" logic he should have just killed Anakin right there and then.

9. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    even doing what he must he still has to follow the jedi way.anakin was defenseless and all burned up,a jedi doesnt kill that way

10. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Disturbing, the devolution of Obi-Wan is!

He seemingly holds the high ground, both literally and figuratively in ROTS. He upholds the Jedi Code by not killing Anakin and mercifully putting him out of his hellish misery.

Yet in ROTS the noble Obi-Wan asks Anakin to spy on Palpatine on behalf of the council, to betray his personal trust and compromise his unique position as the Chancellor's chief of security. In ANH, Obi-Wan further twists the truth to "a certain point of view," telling Luke that his father was murdered (by himself), wanted Luke to have his light saber and then deludes Luke by not providing all of the facts about his father's true fate. Yoda, too is guilty of this deception.

Sad, very very sad this is indeed! The ends justify the means for the once-vaunted Jedi. They are in many ways no better than the Sith. Is this why all of the Jedi and both Sith die by the end of ROTJ, save for Luke -- the 'new hope!' Luke begins the process anew in a very 'Neo-Matrix' kind of way. Tis, it seems, the 'Whill of the Force.'

11. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    A man who is supected of being under the control of the Sith - the sworn enemies of the Jedi.

A rationalization that Obi was so deep into, that he believed it past death. He believed "Anakin" was dead for all intents and purposes.

There is no point in which Obi's behavior exemplifies this philosophy. Ever.

12. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    Well, Sith, you've got me there. :D

?Every failure teaches a man something, to wit, that he will probably fail again.? ? HL Menken. I re-learn that lesson every day. [face_laugh]

13. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    off topic what does Immolation actually mean? . My pc dictionary say's no defination exists.

14. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    Immolation is destruction by fire, that is, burning something to destroy it. In its usual sense, this "destruction" is a usually the sacrifice of a living being.

15. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Thanks Gotcha :)

16. Darth_Vasive

Darth_Vasive Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2005
    Anyone notice the balance between ROTS and ROTJ?

Where Anakin was immolated to create Vader at the end of ROTS, Vader was immolated at the end of ROTJ essentially finishing the recreating of Anakin.

17. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i believe i don't know has picked up on it.

18. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Who has picked up on it?:confused:

Abbott: No, who's on first, what's on second, i don't know is third base.:p

19. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    [face_laugh] I found that statement quite funny.

20. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I fart in your general direction...

21. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i cannot honestly remember why i wrote it. [face_blush] but i meant a user named i_dont_know. who, i think, once wrote about the parallel between having the two burnings at the end of each trilogy.

22. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Obi-Wan could have put him out of his misery and ended his life (like he did to the crab monster in the arena in AOTC). The beast had been beaten and he didn't leave it to suffer in pain.

That's what struck me about the immolation scene. Yes, it had to happen that way for the plot development. But Obi-wan could have easily sliced Anakin to shreds with a blow to the torso or head when he jumped. Instead he somehow manages to cut off 3 limbs. Even then he is trying to stop him without killing him. But at some point he gives up and leaves him for dead -- without the compassion of ending his misery.

23. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    See, I had always imagined that Obi-Wan would not have the choice to save or finish off Anakin. I figured that Palpatine would arrive at the scene much sooner, forcing Obi-Wan to flee before making that final choice. As it turned out, Obi-Wan seemed to leave him for dead, yet in some way leaving his final demise to the will of the Force. Unlike Anakin beheading Dooku, he chose not to kill a helpless opponent.

24. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    I would imagine Jedi have different rules for sentient versus non-sentient beings. As most of us do. So the crab monster and AnaVader are two totally different situations.

25. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    what if you were in Obi-Wan's Place? would you kill Anakin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.