main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Immolation scene

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Alpha-Red, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    i'm glad Anakin/Vader doesn't ask for help.If he had,I would have thought he was even more selfish.And if I was Obi Wan I would have looked directly at the audience and said,"Is this guy serious?"
    Anakin is too headstrong to ask for help.I think that is evidenced by the fact he refuses to go to Obi Wan for help in the first place.I love Anakin's character.And I think his refusal to turn back,even at the hands of death,makes his redemption in ROTJ that more powerful.You think there is no way he can be turned.Even he didn't think he could be turned.

"Obi Wan once thought as you did."

2. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Don't get me started :)

Hey, at least I'm not under the delusion that I'm Leia's bitch :p

I hadn't read this yet:

It's nice to know Obi-Wan reaching out here meant what I thought it did.

Wow, "Help me, Master"? That would have been a very different scene, I can really picture it though.

3. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i know i know [face_blush]

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Even a headstrong person has his limits. I still think that Anakin asking for help would have made for a better, and more tragic ending.

5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    Even a headstrong person has his limits. I still think that Anakin asking for help would have made for a better, and more tragic ending.

just curious: in what way?
    isn't it quite enough to have obi-wan turn away?

6. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    i can kinda see how it would be tragic.But if he asks for help and then Obi Wan denies him,would we still have the 'I HATE YOU!" line?That would make that line seem whiny.I would think he was just crying because he didn't get his way.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Not getting his way seems kinda like an understatement...he lost 3 limbs and was burning up by the lava. And it would be more tragic since we'd see that Anakin was not necessarily beyond the point of no return, but would count this as yet another betrayal by his master, and carry it on with him as he became Darth Vader.

8. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    you really can't blame Anakin. he was decieved by an old man who happens to be a Sith Lord. not i'm not saying that what Anakin did was right, but i think Obi-Wan was a D*** for just leaving him there. i mean, he could have at least pulled him to the lava bank, and then left.

9. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I agree, if OB1 really believed what he was saying to Anakin (you were my brother...) then his intention should have been to try and bring him back to the light... so before he caught on fire, you'd think OB1 would have tried to reason with him while Anakin was most vulnerable. Of course, that's an "in universe" explanation, i mean, it had to be the way it was otherwise the OT would not have existed...lol.

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I agree, if OB1 really believed what he was saying to Anakin (you were my brother...) then his intention should have been to try and bring him back to the light... so before he caught on fire, you'd think OB1 would have tried to reason with him while Anakin was most vulnerable. Of course, that's an "in universe" explanation, i mean, it had to be the way it was otherwise the OT would not have existed...lol.

But of course if he did that, Yoda would have given him a whole pile of crap too. "Destroy the Sith, we must". Maybe Yoda sensed that Obi-Wan didnt complete his mission either, so when he said I failed, he had multiple meanings.

11. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Obi-wan had to try and kill Anakin. This is the contrast between Anakin vs Obi-wan and Vader vs Luke. Obi-wan believes Anakin's turned to the Dark Side completely, but Padme tells him there's still good in him, and that's why Luke doesn't kill him in ROTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.