main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I wanted to point out that Ireland is doing literally this.
    Matchmaking Irish village finds harmony with asylum seekers - The Guardian
    It hasn't been without its controversies, but it has some huge success stories.
    Even ignoring any of the dire humanitarian concerns about the way we do things, this has helped the rural economy in many areas, and many locals prefer a hotel full of hardworking immigrants with skills and stories who want to build lives there over more boorish American tourists.

Rew, La Calavera, Iron_lord and 3 others like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You shouldn't be able to say you want any group dead, period.

That being said, Ender had a history of that stuff and JRod doesn't. Not permaban worthy but definitely worth a report and some kind of punishment.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
    MrZAP likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is how I read the hate speech policy as it stands, but the YJCC mods will discuss this.

Let’s take any further commentary into Comms and put this thread back on the election.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Biden is running low on cash, which is gratifying to see the old system of reliance on rich donors failing, whereas Sanders and Warren are succeeding with small donations.

Meanwhile, I think Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren did wonderfully in the debate. Since AOC and Ilhan Omar endorsed Bernie, I donated to his campaign once more.

3sm1r likes this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We had a convo about the election today... Like me it seems no one has made up their mind yet.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Once more proving my point that Ireland is the best. Far from perfect, but legit making an effort cause they know what it is like to be oppressed and to have to flee your country, or watch your family flee. It would do us good to look to them as an example

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Speak of, let's see some "mistakes" by NBC

[​IMG]

MrZAP, CT-867-5309, Darth Guy and 2 others like this.
  9. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    I wonder if Ireland would be so generous if about 400,000 people crossed their southern border illegally every year?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ireland's vastly smaller than the USA. It would be more appropriate to rescale the 100,000 per year for the US, to a figure with the same proportion to the population of Ireland.

11. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Weren’t you just talking about your military service? Because you see right there...

12. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    @anakinfansince1983 @Lord Vivec @solojones And the whole board in general.

I apologize. Sincerely. It was an off-handed comment meant to remind everyone of the era in which I was raised.

I never meant it as a literal comment, it was more making about fun of the time in which I had grown up, making fun of myself. I am just old enough to remember bombing drills in school. I had them through 1st grade by the time they quit doing them. It was a terrifying time, so terrifying that t-shirts with that slogan had mass support among the population.

And the threat was serious enough that we would bend our values to fight, as indirectly as possible, the communist threat. I didn't intend to offend anyone, much less Vivec, whom I have the deepest respect for!

Again, I'm truly sorry.

13. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    I remember those times as well, very scary. Every time an emergency broadcast signal came on over the radio or TV, my heart would skip a beat with fear that it was an announcement of nukes heading our way. Watching the TV movie The Day After as a kid also elevated my fear.

Pensivia, Vaderize03 and SuperWatto like this.
  14. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I watched that too!!

Pensivia and Vaderize03 like this.
  15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The thing gave me nightmares.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, I was coming here to talk about this poll. It's actually worse news for Sanders than you would think.

It's an Emerson poll. We've talked about this a bit in the threat, but Emerson's got a pretty significant Sanders bias (we don't know why, really, but it's been a consistent outlier nationally).

So, on paper, an Iowa H2H match-up with Trump looks favorable, given the bias it may not be... but that's not the worst part. The more concerning part for Sanders is that Emerson was all up in Iowa's business this week, taking both that H2H poll, but also taking a Iowa Democratic Primary Caucus poll. It was.... not good.

Assuming a Sanders bias (as previously shown), the results of Emerson's own caucus poll was: Biden 23, Warren 23, Buttigieg 16, Sanders 13, etc, etc. (it's even worse news for my girl, Kamala, falling behind Yang). That's... bad for Sanders.

Again, it's one poll -- and I'm going to wait for the next Des Moines Register poll, as that will be a more likely scenario -- but people focusing on the H2H part of the Emerson poll is basically missing the forest for the trees there...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Are you really still pro Kamala ? Wow!

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I still think she'd make an excellent president, yes. I mean, it's not like I haven't been shy about that, nor that Buttigieg and Warren were some combination of two and three for me (Warren probably gets the nod, but her last two debate performances were... not great).

Rylo Ken likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Then, I shall deduce that you found Harris' performance to be convincing?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought she did better these last two times, but the one against Gabbard (debate #2?), woof... which, should be easy! Gabbard's up there acting like a Russian asset and denouncing that she's a Russian asset... no one should be taken aback by that, or not prepared for her!

22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Kamala is my pick.

But that probably doesn't speak well of her in a group of progressives. LOL.

Rew likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd like to change my mind now, please...

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't know how this is a surprise to you, if you've been paying attention.

Back in 2016, Hillary Clinton had seven verified voters who were "enthusiastic" about her candidacy, among a wave of millions of voters who were reluctant Clinton voters or even "mild supporters". Thanks to voter fraud in the strategically chosen state of New York, dp was two of those voters. I believe at multiple points he even called Clinton his "perfect" candidate the the one candidate in his entire life who came most close to representing exactly what he'd want in a president.

Now, fast forward three years. dp is a well-researched voter. He is a Kamala Harris supporter, perhaps not at the stan level he was for Hillary, but those kind of fanboy moments in politics only come about rarely. He's unlikely to choose on his own to commit voter fraud to support Harris, but if he was asked to by appropriately high ranking people in the party, he probably would. He supports he and he knows what she stands for. He knows her record. he's not one of the people who saw her first debate performance and suddenly said "whoa, that's my girl" or who were basing their entire support on her line of questioning in the Kavenaugh hearings. So, he's not going to jump ship because ... well, his candidate is being who she is.

The actual surprising thing, to me, is that Warren ranks so high for him.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I could only watch that movie once. It hit too close to home. Literally. The movie was largely set in Lawrence, KS (University of KS) “The Day After” Kansas City, MO (my hometown) was one of the targets in a nuclear war. The montage during the opening credits was of places I frequented. The final scene, where they were stumbling through the ruins of KC, emaciated from radiation poisoning, was the hospital where I was born. It had been torn down, and the film crew arranged to do those scenes before the rubble was cleared away.

As an epilogue, as part of the credits, it said something to the effect of “if anything, the aftermath of a nuclear war would likely be far worse than this film depicted.” The film was credited with getting President Reagan to dial down his rhetoric towards the Soviet Union.

So this might give you a little insight as to why I and others get in our feelings when the current President seems so flippant about the use of military force, including that “why can’t we use nukes” nonsense.

Alpha-Red, Rew, Pensivia and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.