main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought that small moon looked suspicious.

Just like the Empire to develop an Existential Death Star.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    People, you are missing the most essential piece of information in that Preview! The Tion Cluster is back! :D

3. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Excellent. :D Desevro and its' related worlds are far too much fun to be put out to pasture. Here's hoping Xim's backstory is as resilient.

(Of course, this doesn't mean we should expect the details to remain the same. Exhibit A: Whether TCW Raxus and Raxus Prime were at all connected.)

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Rendilli beat you to it.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: Mon Cal cruisers at Turkana, don't forget that prior to the liberation of Dac in 1 BBY, "handful of exploration cruisers" including the cruiser Independence (as noted in the EGTW) escaped and joined the Alliance. Then Commander Ackbar led the small battle line of exiled Mon Cal cruisers (the retcon is that he was just "admiral" in the Mon Cal resistance at this point) under the overall command of Jan Dodonna, who was de-facto Rebel supreme commander, even though there was no formal position yet. Presumably after the battle of Turkana (also placed 1 BBY), Ackbar resigns his Rebel commission and returns to Dac to help assemble their main fleet, while still being an "unofficial" Rebel commander overseeing Project Shantipole. This is really the messiest part of Ackbar's timeline, as he is both "resigned" and "active" in the Rebellion at the same time.

Yeah, our old EU was a bit of a headache at times. :p

Anyways, in 1 ABY, Dac formally joins the Alliance, Ackbar returns with a full fleet of MC80's, and Mon Mothma appoints him as Admiral of the Alliance Fleet. So, prior to 1 ABY, any larger concentration of Rebel Mon Cal cruisers were from that initial group of exploration cruisers that escaped Dac. Note these cruisers were more large carriers than combat capital ships at this point. Presumably cruisers like the Independence eventually returned to Dac for a proper refit, making her into a true Home One-type MC80 cruiser.

My personal theory as to why Ackbar switched his flag in 1 ABY from the Independence to Home One is that the Indy was sent to Dac for retrofit and Home One was one of the first of her type to being fully converted into a combat capital ship.

So Turkana works, the time line works, and Ackbar works. At least as far as LEU is concerned. At least we know that Dac was still occupied in the new canon (per a recent Insider short story), so maybe this time around it will be a bit cleaner. Honestly, I have no issue if the NEU decides that Dac was a formal Alliance founder, on par with Corellia, Alderaan, and Chandrila.

For what it is worth, even the Maker himself (Uncle George) almost added Mon Cal & Sullustan Rebel officers & pilots to ANH when he was doing the Special Edition, in an effort to make the Alliance look more diverse from the get go. To be honest, I like the idea of the Alliance being formed by multiple worlds & species from the get go, as opposed to the LEU notion of the Alliance essentially being a human thing until other aliens decided to join up.

--Adm. Nick

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Aww, of all the things he coulda changed in the Special Edition, that'd have been far better than so many of the trivial changes.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Me too. I always figured that Ackbar was one of the founders of the Rebellion. Also, if an anti-alien regime comes into power and I'm an alien, I know where I'm headed.

TheRedBlade and Pfluegermeister like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mind ANH so much -- it's Yavin that really sells the idea of the Rebellion as an actual thing that might work. It'd probably have been more productive to have some alien extras running around on Hoth, though.

That is, provided Mon Calamari don't turn into squidcicles :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Coming Soon: Empire Strikes Back: The Disney Edition, now with added musical numbers, and frozen squidcicles.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I have a different theory. We know Independence was Ackbar's personal ship early on, and better suited for him per Truce at Bakura, so why transfer to a ship he does not know as well and has not worked with as long? The key is in the name. Home One was the successor to Rebel One, the ship that was the mobile headquarters for the Rebel high command. Rebel One was destroyed earlier, so Home One replaced it, and probably renamed in the process. Ackbar would have led the battle from Independence, but Mon Mothma and Alliance High Command decided to join the battle personally, so Ackbar transferred the flag to their ship for the battle, and tasked Independence as being a communications ship. Then when Endor was a major success, the fame of using Home One for that battle made Ackbar transfer his flag to her permanently, while Alliance High Command stopped travelling with the fleet for a while as they set up the Alliance of Free Planets.

Musical numbers? Been done.

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, per the old EGtVV it was called the "Headquarters frigate" -- but there's no reason Ackbar needed to use it all the time, just major symbolic battles where he was functioning in his role as Admiral of the Fleet: Endor, Coruscant etc.

So there's also a third measure where both of you are right. :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Aren't Sullustans adapted to the cold? Maybe they'd last longer than the tauntauns ....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well Sullust has always been described as a Volcanic world and they live in warrens, so cold is about the only thing they likely are not used to. Extreme heat, cave-ins, navigating complex tunnels, properly easy, cold less so.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The cold never bothered them anyway.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Now I'm picturing Olgaf as a snow-Jawa

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Elsa's ice palace rather reminded me of the Imperial Palace, actually.

(P.S. I imagine the art is all done by now but I'll still hope and hope that we get a Palace illustration in this book. It's long been an EU oversight.)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1, Darth_Garak and Zorrixor like this.
  17. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    It is impossible to catch the grandeur of HIM's living place on paper. ;)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They managed to fit it on the damned paperback of Tyrant's Test, they can fit it on a premium-format book :p

Sadly the giant glossy McQuarrie Palace in Behind the Myth is probably going to be the best we ever get. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    *coughs*

[​IMG]

(I know, I know, I should die a horrible, horrible death.)

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    My gut feeling is that if Rebels ever gets around to showing the Imperial Palace, they'll use the McQuarrie version. Dave Filoni seems to love using all sorts of McQuarrie's concepts.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yup, that's my feeling too. Heck, he even used two McQuarrie sketches to show Monument Plaza in TCW and that show didn't even have a McQuarrie theme.

So there's a good chance that we'll see the Palace in Rebels if the show ever gets to Imperial Center.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    OK I just saw that this is a thing...and as an Empire supporter, ME WANT.

Sadly I can't get the deluxe edition so any guesses or confirmations when just the book by itself will come out? How many of these kinds of books are out so far? So far I have Jedi Path and Book of Sith. Any others that have been released since then?

23. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    The Bounty Hunter code is the only other one. I actually haven't read that one yet though.

24. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    OK, so I'm not that far off...but is the Bounty Hunter Code available by itself yet? Everywhere I look it just seems to be the deluxe edition, and as much as I want those for the goodies inside of them, I can only afford just the books.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I got mine from Waterstones a couple of weeks ago- it was the single book version. It's definitely out, even if not many shops stock it yet.