main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Im all for reinducting the best aspects of the old EU back into canon, but I wanna be damn sure that they threw away the entire EU outside the timeframe of the sequel trilogy for good reason and get some radically different and new concepts, characters, events, ships, etc.

Star Wars has literally START OVER AGAIN, we're pretty much back to 1991 in terms of the EU. Lets get creative.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Okay guys, I just asked the star wars books page on Facebook if this is gonna be canon, and I got the following response:

Del Rey isn't publishing that book so we're not familiar with the particulars of it.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm hoping that Lemelisk and Sienar designing the Death Star gets ditched. What we're shown in AOTC is that the Geonosians designed the Death Star so that's what the new canon should stick with.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But if the plans were stolen dozen times, having a dozen designers makes sense. The rebels kept stealing the wrong ones. It's all part of Palpatine's plan.

6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't really find it a stretch to think a moon-sized space station had more than one person design the whole thing.

There's a heck of a lot more people than just one engineer involved in the construction of an aircraft carrier, or even a family car.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I see that the reign of uncertainty continues...

What we saw in AOTC is that the Geonosians were in possession of the blueprints shortly before the Battle of Geonosis, and that's all. You can conclude pretty much anything you want from that meager fact.

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I always assumed Princess Leia was a runaway weapons' scientist who had eloped with the Death Star plans that she had in her possession. The Empire was doing the galaxy a service by taking control of the Rebel's weapon of mass destruction, which they had planned to use to spread terror through the Outer Rim to destabilise galactic order.

But we all blame Tarkin like he's this monster, when clearly the Rebellion had designed it.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I dub thee Sir Zorrixor, for thy patriotism.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering if there will be anti-alien references in this book?

This

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/20...ors-cut-part-9-battlfields-of-the-clone-wars/

seemed to capture Tarkin pretty well:

They are a species bound by honor and the primitive nature of their thinking, and it has proved hard to persuade them to stop their sedition and serve the Empire. Initially, it was hoped that the beasts could be re-educated, but force — or the fear of force — seems to be the only language the average Wookiee understands.
    It has been necessary to keep Kashyyyk in line with tight policing and a large garrison, with skilled Wookiees of working age relocated to offworld industrial centers. This has taught us an important lesson. With the correct application of coercion, even a misguided and violent species can earn honor by contributing to the New Order’s higher purpose.
    This, then, is the position that the New Order has found for primitives deceived into supporting the remnants of Separatism. War is not a gentle business, especially the war against sedition and deception, and some of you may balk at what is necessary—but it is necessary, for the good of the Empire, and to ensure peace and order for the majority. And it will be good for the Wookiees, too. Their labor in the Empire’s service will make them free.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I find it highly likely that the anti-alien stuff will largely stay canon. (Regardless of whether this book is or not)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If it's not, then they should re-release the OT with a new Diversity Edition.

With CGI and some careful dubbing, they could redesign Admiral Piett as a Twi'lek female, complete with customary Imperial Recruitment style atire.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  13. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Didn't you know? "Arbeit macht frei" (="Working will free you") is the official motto of the concentration camps, eh, offworld industrial centers. ;)

blackmyron, Ketan-Shej and Iron_lord like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars Books is the last person that we should be asking about canon. They're just a publisher. What would they know?

15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd expect they would have been told.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Half the time, I doubt they're even sure anymore how much of the OT they're going to keep canon, so I can't blame them not knowing if a sourcebook will be. :p

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Except it's not their job to know.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Which is exactly why I said "would have been told" and not "would know." Just sayian.

19. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    No one knows. Someone's job is to know, but they don't know either.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "What do you mean nobody knows? Deck Officer! Deck Officer!" ;)

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't expect them to be told.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    IL: It may capture Tarkin well to some but I don't find that quote feasible in the least.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Why not? The EU established early on that Tarkin was prejudiced against Wookiees and some other aliens - the quote simply continues that theme.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think the implication was that Tarkin was angelic and well-meaning. Perhaps he wrung his hand in distress at being obliged to enslave the Wookiees, just desperately wishing it could be different.

Just as he never meant to destroy Alderaaan -- it just got in the way of his super laser.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm sure he asked Ackbar how's it going every day and made sure to remember him every Life Day.