main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial March or ANH Darth Vader Theme

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RONDC20, Feb 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Well Im gonna be honest, I would much rather hear the Imperial March from ESB In the next two Prequels than the ANH version. Yes I know continuity wise it would be wrong and normaly a musical score continuity mistake in a movie would dissapoint me, but in this case I don't care. I want to hear the Imperial March. To me The Imperial March really captured what Darth Vader was about and I just like it a hell of a lot better, besides John Williams already used the Imperial March in Ep 1 so it's already established , It's too late. In Episode 1 Williams incorperated the Imperial March a number of times, Anakin's Theme already has statements of the March at the end of it and In one of the final scenes of Ep1 when Obi-Wan is talking to Yoda you can hear a clear statement of the Imperial March. So I say stay with the Imperial March from ESB.

Ronald C

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Can't you just use both?

~Sithman~

3. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    The continuity problem has always been a problem for me when it comes to this but from this perspective.....

But I always think of the Vader Theme from ANH as sort of a type of ambience just to let you know he is there, he is the masked shadow of the film, Luke is there but he does not know him or who he is and Vader doesn't play the biggest role in the film anyway so it doesn't really matter, so the Imperial March is not needed.

Think of it like that and you won't have a problem.

4. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    I would like to Hear the ANh version in the prequals. The reason being that the empire gets too big for itself, and then crumbles in the last two movies, like th standing army in Wagner's Der Ring.
    It also would make the Empire a more awsome presence in ESB. I would love for JW to hold the theme back for that moment. That would be great.

Alas I don't think it will come to fruition.

5. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    The Imperial March, in my opinion, should develop both from Anakin's theme and the ANH theme. I'm sure JW could find a way to do it, but I don't know that he would...

6. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Perhaps if Tarkin appears in the prequels at some point, the ANH Imperial Theme could be used for him, thus promoting further continuity between the prequels and the Classic Trilogy.... not to mention making some overall thematic sense of the short-lived ANH Imperial theme.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The four-chord Imperial theme can be associated with Tarkin, but I don't think the Imperial March should appear in any scenes except those focusing on Vader. Although it was used once or twice to represent Imperial troops in RotJ, I think that was an abuse.

8. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I have to vote No on using the March in the prequels. Not overtly. It was used subtly at the end of TPM when Yoda and Obi-Wan spoke of Anakin's fate, but I think that's about as far as they should go with it. Keep it subtle, and then explode with it in ESB.

9. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    Grand Moff Tarki has to appear. I watched ANH over the weekend, trying to get some clues(I'm non spoiler)and he has to appear. Theer are too many references. I know that there will be a 20 year difference between # and 4, but the Original theme of the empire would be better if they used it for Tarkin, and left the Imperial march for ESB

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Keep the march subtle until ESB. I agree.

11. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Having a full-blown Imperial March in Ep II or III would definitely be premature, I agree.

12. s1138_

s1138_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    i think that anakin's theme should slowly evolve into the imperial march over the next two movies. and at the end of Ep3 you get the full blown famous part of imperial march!

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    At the end of E3, we'll probably see Vader make his first entrance. No doubt it will be similar to his RotJ entrance - he'll be shrouded in smoke, the camera slowly pans up to that mask we know so well... and the Imperial March will make its first and only appearance in the prequel trilogy. Hopefully it will be played dramatically by full orchestra.

Just imagine the chills you'll get when you see that scene.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    *drools*

15. Talon-Quel-Droma

Talon-Quel-Droma Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2001
    Yeah ! the imperial March is just the theme that most people think of, when you talk with em about the music of Star Wars. And I agree that John Williams should use the theme, like it is in ESB ! It´s just great in it. And it fits totally to the appearance of Darth Vader.

So think he should take the ESB one, otherwise I would really be pissed off...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.