main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Importance of Darth Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cratylus, Apr 6, 2020.

1. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Looking back on it, Darth Maul being in the trailers revved up the anticipation even more for the movie but can you imagine if he wasnt in the trailers and the first time you see him is on Tatooine? Or when he ignites the double bladed saber..what a moment. The Sith have returned and he served his purpose by taking out one of the best Jedi ever. My only thought was this guy truly needed more action before TPM taking down Jedi. He did get brought back to do this in TCW which it's very hard to accept for me. I loled what they did with the character and they still had Obi Wan destroy him.

2. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    His importance, his existence literally changed the course of the Republic. He killed the father figure in Anakin’s life (per Filoni) that if QJG had survived and trained Skywalker he wouldn’t have fell to the dark side.

He cloaked the Chancellor true intentions allowing him to (the Chancellor to set his chess pieces in place) Dooku, the Separatists Army, Trade Blockades Galatic turmoil etc. literally Maul set all this in motion. Then their are his actions during TCW which is a completely different aspect altogether.

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    How exactly did Maul have anything to do with the clone army, the blockade, the seps?
    The seps and clone army came after TPM, so he was "dead" as far as the films goes.
    The Naboo blockade, what did Maul have to do with that? As far as TPM goes, it was all Sidious.
    All Maul did in the film was to try and recapture Padme, that failed. Kill the two Jedi, he killed one but then the other killed him. So pretty much failure there too.

How did he cloak what Palpatine was doing? The senate vote had zero to do with Maul so Palpatine would still have become chancellor.

Qui-Gon, if Maul was not there and Qui-Gon was killed by a random battle droid, then same thing as the film.

Sorry, Maul set very little in motion. Yes the Jedi now is aware that the Sith are back but they don't do much with that info. And he killed Qui-Gon. But as I've said, Qui-Gon could have been killed in the battle for Naboo and that would satisfy that.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I don't have anything to add, I just thought this was funny.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. BobasJetPack

BobasJetPack Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2021
    I find it quite easy to separate live action and the animated series despite both being cannon, whilst I’d agree bringing back multiple characters from the dead too often should be avoided since being briefly shown again live action in Solo he really needs to make further appearances for me.

keeping it OT cool as, shame not to see him more but guess it’s always best to leave them wanting more and beating him was the making of Obi Wan for me

6. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Gotta agree here. Is Darth Maul visually one of the coolest characters in any movie ever? Yep. When he shows up and first in TPM & fire up the double blade saber, do I still get chills? Yep. Is Duel of Fates arguably the best music piece in Star Wars? Quite possibly, yea. Do I wish Maul had replaced Dooku for the entire prequel trilogy and lived longer? Yes, and that’s no knock to the great Christopher Lee but Maul is cooler than Dooku, IMO.

But, similar to Boba Fett in the OT, Maul doesn’t really do anything to warrant such praise and given so much credence as an important character. You spelled it out. The key takeaway is that QuiGon dies. That’s really the entire "thing" here. He could have been killed by any droid or whomever, as you said.

** I also find it incredibly stupid that Maul lives and shows up in the various cartoon series'. I love Rebels but I could do without Maul surviving. I mean, he was sliced in HALF. LOL.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. Maul should never survived The Phantom Menace make Maul more unique

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Maul is iconic. Visually, he personifies the new universe of aesthetics and designs brought to Star Wars by the prequels, and especially by The Phantom Menace. This diversity of designs gave Star Wars a real sense of history, making it seem like we were glimpsing an actual world. And more thematically, Maul represents the backstory of the dark side in the Star Wars universe. He is the Sith, a demonic warrior from the ancient past, and the true predecessor to Darth Vader. His face alone conveys, wordlessly, the history of evil in this fictional universe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    whostheBossk and Master_Rebado like this.
  9. TCW feels like a prequel retcon sometimes Maul should never survived his chracter should have been Grievous

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.