main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*** IMPORTANT - EVERYONE MUST READ ***

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by halibut, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Guys and Gals

A few very important announcements to make

First of all, rhi-sparks has been in contact with us and informed us that her degree is (understandably) taking up a lot of her time and regretfully cannot put the time she'd like to into the chapter. We all knew this may happen and no one would disagree that her degree MUST take priority. So she is standing down. I would like to thank her for her work and wish her absolutely every success in her degree.

So, this leads us on to a very pressing issue - the future of FF:Wales

Spike and I have been discussing the future of this chapter, and seeking advice from other FF-RSAs and Admins, and the basic situation is that the chapter is not meeting the essential criteria that a chapter needs. There is a sticky at the top of the page linking to the criteria - the foremost and essential one being meeting up in real life. That is the fundamental core of FanForce, and sadly it's the big element missing from Wales. I must stress that there is no-one at fault here, but after such a long period without meeting-up, action has to be taken.

A chapter needs to have at least 3 active members, and at least 3 meets a year. I'm not even sure the first part is met. But there's no doubt that the second part has not been met.

After much discussion, it has been decided that if, after two weeks, there is no evidence that a meet will go ahead, Wales will be moved to the "Inactive" board. Also, there won't be any elections for a new CR until AFTER a meet has occured.

Do not feel that this is a threat, or that Wales will be "deleted". The board will simply be frozen until such time that there is more activity and membership from the Welsh community. All posters are welcome to join in the Regional Forum, and encourage other Welsh members to become active members. But being moved to "Inactive" means that (like a new chapter) 3 meets are required to become active again.

Again, it's important to stress that this is not anyone's fault, but the primary reason a chapter is given a forum is to arrange meets. We have the UK regional forum for general chit-chat and absolutely everyone is welcome there, whether they're interested in meet-ups or not :)

So I would suggest having a think. Arranging meets just for the sake of keeping a forum open is not the right reason. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to meet up. It's just that that is not what FanForce is about.

Please feel free to ask any questions or seek clarification. If you don't want to post here, then please PM me

Mark

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Grab yar pitchforks lads! [face_frustrated]

3. sweet_j

sweet_j Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2007
    why not have a meet on June 7th & 8th in Wrexham for example? Lots to do over the weekend. Thats why were doing it. For people who are fans of things like SW and other great films and for people of Wales. Because it always gets neglected until last for anything. We need your support just like the forum needs your support. We should be proud to be Welsh, from ANY part of Wales.

So come along, have fun, have a party on the Saturday night, have a hangover Sunday morning, and enjoy the weekend.

Who knows we may even be having a Guitar Hero competition yet.... ;)

J.

4. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Personally i think the board seems to be getting a few more new people coming through it's more a matter of getting people together to promote prolonged membership and posting. While i am definitely one of the worst offenders for not turning up to meets and irregular posting it would be a shame to see the board go through lack of effort.

The Wrexham thing sounds a good idea for a sort of 'make or break' meet-up (did I really just use that expression, eugh). Although i'm actually on my stag do that weekend. But with many of us being in South Wales it would be good to make the effort to spread more throughout our fine land and maybe attract some new members

Unfortunately i can't see us coming back from being frozen particularly without a dedicated CR, rhi has done a good job but it still didn't lead to much progress.

Not really adding, anything just some random thoughts

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    To be frank, June is just too far away. That would make it over a year without a meet, and there needs to be 3 a year.

Stuey, you are absolutely right about a dedicated CR, and that thought has led to a suggestion being made to me which is currently being debated.

rebeljediknight_88 (Midlands CR) has suggested combining the Welsh and Midlands chapters. He has done a great job in getting the Midlands back on its feet and he has good links with Wales and some people who live there (especially with Swansea University - sorry, Abertawe).

It's a similar situtation with what happened in the past with North and Scotland. They were combined until Scotland got back on it's feet and became its own chapter again. Obviously it's easier to organise meets if there's a forum dedicated to doing that.

The practical side of this would be that THIS forum would still be moved to inactive. The Midlands would be renamed Midlands/Wales, and rebeljediknight_88 would be CR for that whole region. Then, when Wales has 3 meets, this forum would be re-activated and CR elections would take place.

Personally I think it's a fantastic idea. What are your thoughts?

6. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Great idea rebeljediknight_88 is a awesome bloke. Only met him once but could tell he was a great CR.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm meeting up with the Midlands lot on saturday, so I'll discuss this with them. So far I've talked with rebelknight, Spike, and one of the FF admins. All are happy with this plan.

8. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    I think that would be the best way to move on, squatting with the Midlands would leave the door open for Wales proper to be started when I can't really see any way back if it gets deactivated

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Chapters helping chapters is definitely a great way forward! I am sure North will back yuo both, I'll attend a Wales meet when I can (This year is getting busy lol), since all the Welsh members I have met so far have been great.

Plus I want to go back to that nice Indonesian restaurant near the station in Cardiff again. :p

10. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Welcome to the house of fun

11. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    *Wakes from slumber in a frightful mood*

WHAT WHAT WHAT!

Inactive?? Deletion??? Merging with the Midlands?????

Honestly, I leave you people alone for 5 minutes and the whole place goes to buggery!

My beloved board!!! My beloved board that I put so much hard work and time into, for all those years is coming to an end?

Bethie gweyedd!!

Ok. We need a plan people.

Let me ask you Halibut. Would it make a difference if I were to come back as CR?

Under my leadership these boards enjoyed their greatest success. I feel we could recapture that past glory and build on it for the futre.

As for the meet issue. All the previous RSA's have had a more relaxed and informal view of the "3 meets a year" rule.

While I don't expect you to give us any special treatment, would you be able to throw us poor Welshies a crum of consolidation?

So what's the opinion people? Are you with me?

Shall I do a Keegan? ;)

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    As for the meet issue. All the previous RSA's have had a more relaxed and informal view of the "3 meets a year" rule.

That was before the Old Folk's Home made it mandatory for a chapter's survival. Our hands are pretty much tied in this.

I'd have no problem with you returning as CR, but the rules say Wales needs 3 active members who are willing to do meets, and in a pretty close time-frame too. If you can promise us that we might be able to help you out. Hal and I will have to discuss it with each other and the OFH, first.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    My concern is that if you returned as CR, it would not be for the right reasons, and 3 months down the line we'd be exactly where we are now. I know all too well that it hurts when a board and chapter in which you've put so much work falls under.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, welshie. My current thoughts are "no" to you returning as CR at the moment. You just haven't been around enough since you stood down. And there just isn't enough activity here, and hasn't been for a LONG time.

However, I'm not fixed on that position. I'm open to suggestions and ideas, but I will certainly need convincing that your suggestion is better for Wales than the suggestion currently at the table. But you need to ask yourself WHY you stepped down, and why that has changed. You don't need to be a CR to organise meets. A CR should show dedication to his/her chapter, and I don't think that's been the case since you stood down. Could I suggest that you draw up a plan of action and PM it to me? Or grab me on MSN (details in my profile)

As for being "more relaxed" about the rules, I think we ARE pretty relaxed. The new charter stated 3 meets a year, and I don't think Wales has had ONE meet in over that time, so that's pretty flexible on our part ;)

14. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Can the Midlands group be re-named to Midlands and Wales if we move? :p

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Definitely. That's a non-issue :)

It would be new name, new banner, blah blah

16. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I've got a better idea.

How about Wales and the Midlands?

Roles off your tongue doesn't it? :p

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's always 2 syllables then 1 :p

Morecambe and Wise
    Little and Large
    Starsky and Hutch
    Seigfreid and Roy
    Midlands and Wales

;)

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    See the sig as to who I agree with ;)

19. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    lol! nice try but we were there first!

and tbh i recon we have time to stop that occuring! so with some help from all the welsh people i recon we can keep this board up and running!!

20. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    There are no welsh people. Its why were are getting shut down. :p

21. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    you are welsh are you not?

dude i mean all you would have to do is get 2 friends posting on here and meet em 3 times with a few piccys! thats all it would take. it would be good to see MORE than 2 other people posting but at least its a start!

22. sweet_j

sweet_j Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2007
    we will be taking lots of pictures in North Wales in June :) oh and we have got a great competition that will be running throughout the weekend...especially for people who love to cosplay... ;) keep you posted!

J.

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I tried cosplay once, but she woke up. :(

It didn't end well.

24. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    BOOM BOOM!

25. sweet_j

sweet_j Jedi Youngling