main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

* IMPORTANT REMINDER *

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I just thought I should bring this to everyone's attention again.

It's not really safe to just post your stuff up on here and not save a hard copy to disk or to your drive. Not only does writing it up in word (or other appropriate program) mean that you can grammar and spelling check it....it also means that in case of a server crash where your story is deleted - you'll still have a copy to repost.

It's the same with feedback, if you really want to keep something then copy and save the web page or message, don't rely on the JC to do it for you.

*Ahem*

Sorry about that, it's just an important reminder that you really need to back up everything you do. That way it's harder lose anything you think is really, really important.

Kithera

2. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Thanks, Kit'! I always try to save my work and the links to my fics in case my computer crashes. :)

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Is this a hint that something could happen to the server ?[face_plain]

4. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Well, there have been a few problems as of late. The PM system was faulty the other day, and I think the server crashed, too--I couldn't access the boards at all.

5. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah, the PM system was messed up, I couldn't get to my PM box at all yesterday. It might have just been my computer, though, because parts of the Star Wars official site and Lucasarts.com weren't working, either...

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    It's not a hint that the server may crash. I was just concerned yesterday with the amount of errors that the boards were having and thought it might be better to take a "ounce of prevention..." approach to it all.

Kithera

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I wondered what was going on. I couldn't get on the boards for most of the day. 8-}

8. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Glad you reminded us. Certainly wouldn't want anyone to lose their work. Hummm... the server has been a little strange lately, but then again, so has my internet connection.

_PSK_

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    This is great advice Kit! :) I'm from Sri Lanka and I actually only post finished work on the boards. This is because internet time costs us a bundle, unless we use it at night during the off peak times. :(
    Anyway, I work on my stories offline and only post my final beta read version when my beta reader sends it back to me. Keeping a copy of that to is a great idea, I think...In my humble opinion of course ;)

Humaira

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.