main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If we have any Tyranid of Death Korps of Kreig collectors/players here do Forge World have a "last chanse to buy" thing for some of those kits/uppgrades: | Forge World Webstore

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Zyobot

Zyobot Jedi Padawan

May 23, 2022
    Question: I’ve read through the rules governing this section, but seeing as there’s nothing about whether I can post some fanfic ideas, I don’t suppose @LAJ_FETT could enlighten me there?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We have a non--SW fanfic forum here. Your fanfic ideas would probably fit better there as this thread is for discussion of the official Warhammer books, etc. If you're in doubt you could PM one of the forum mods there and ask.

Zyobot likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But you could post a link to your thread/post with ideas here.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's true. You can also put links to any fics you post in your account signature.

Zyobot likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I just have to share this fanart:
    Dies Irae Imperator Titan [Zoom for Details] by LordCarmi on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord and Glitterstimm like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Got some good stuff when I went to the Stadsmissionen second-hand shop at Hagagatan, Stockholm: Obvious Tactics (comic TPB), Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition), and Codex: Armageddon.

Obvious Tactics collect a story prevoisly published in the old Inferno! magazine (going from issues 1 to 16, from 1997 to early 2000) that's about a two Blood Angels and their Callidus assassin ally that are part of the passifying mission of a rebelling planet that finds out that the leaders of the rebellion have the backing of Nurgle and have planed with the Imperial respons...
    The comic is a action packed read and it's interesting to see how things are illustrated before some things become standardised. But the really interesting thing is the last pages with illustrations of imperial voidships, stations and lander of types I have not seen appearing on other places.

Codex: Space Marines don't have much information regarding chapter, all we get are different colour schemes, some chapter specefic special characters, and some rituals for less then a handful of chapters. But there are som nice lore things that I have seen peole refering to but have not seen myself. It is also interesting that there are so many Chapter named (with or without shown colours) that GW have nothing with in those 20+ years since this codex was published. There is also some nice art that I hope we will se the reuse of in one way or another and/or is used as inspiration for new characters/uppgrade kits.

Codex: Armageddon ismostly lore, that I have not read jet, and some nice pictures. Something I'm surprised that I have not seen before or referred to later is the Armageddon Hive Militia model that was based on a Necromunda Van Saar's ganger.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This here looks very intriguing:

Idk how good it will be, but a traditional rpg game set in 40k is something people have wanted for looong time.

Darth__Lobot and Gamiel like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lilibet: Potentate of Holy Terra | FREE model and Warhammer rules - YouTube

Really like that trailer. The "planet rosary" is a nice concept. I will likley not play it, (I've been bad at playing video games the last... ten years or so) but I may take a look at a lets-play of it.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For you that plans to play HH, some official alternative takes on the legions colour schemes:

EDIT: Huh, have no idea why it says "This Facebook post is no longer available" since it's not a closed group and the post is still there.

Here is a link to the post - Facebook - and the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My pile of shame has grown a-lot today. There was a 20%-off offer at a store so I brought:
    Imperial Knights - Knight Preceptor Canis Rex - it is no longer produced and I think that when I feel comfortabel to make knights it will have parts that I will want.
    Space Wolves - Grey Hunters - the heads are amog the closes things I can find to what for my Sons of Jagathai.
    Warhammer 40K: Elite Edition - Here it was just simple matematic, I get figures and trasferas I want for cheep
    Dark Angels - Ravenwing Command Squad - so many usefull bits.
    Warhammer 40K: Recruit Edition - same as Elite Edition
    Warhammer Skulls

Now back to being sick and not painting.

15. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Alright, so I am about to plunge into the lore of this universe. I am absolutely terrible at painting so never approached the tabletop stuff. Have been lured in by the JoyToy figures (which are absolutely too expensive for me to keep up with but I'm trying) and my affection for expansive fantasy/Sci-fi settings. I've read over more than a few best of lists but figured I'd ask an opinion here: Is Gaunt's Ghosts a good place to start? I've also seen Eisenhorn mentioned but I'd rather get a grounding in the war aspect before more espionage type stuff. After that it seems Ultramarines is a popular "stock marine" series to read?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes. The downside with the Gaunt's Ghosts series is that while each book is an done and done story in each own are they not really freestanding, and by now GG have become a long series. So that's a loot of books to read to find out what happen with the characters, who lives and who dies, which new characters stay around, and all that drama.

If you want guradsmen stories are the Ciaphas Cain books also good, but a totally different tone (think Flashman and Blackadder instead of Sharp). And each of those books are more or less freestanding.

The Uriel Ventris Chronicles is by now a bit old but I would say still good. The same gose for the Space Wolf saga about Ragnar Blackmain, are good starting point since the first books is about Ragnar becoming a Space Marine and his first interactions with the wider Imperium, so we are introduced to much of the Imperiums' technology and thinking through him.

I would say that both Carcharadons: Red Tithe and Spear of the Emperor are good starting books if you want to read Space Marines since they show the 'verse from both (kind of in the later cause) the normal humans perspective and the Space Marines, and both show you what a terrible place the Wh40k 'verse is. Both of them are really good.

The Black Library also have some "Start here" anthology books that come at cheaper price, like Crusade and Nexus & Other Stories and The Hammer and the Eagle: The Icons of the Warhammer Worlds

gat-65b likes this.
  17. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking I may indeed go with one of the anthologies you listed. I was tempted by the Ciaphas Cain books but most sites seem to say its brand of humour makes it unique among most other WH40k novels so it's on my list but maybe a few novels in to get more of a "House Style" feeling of the setting first. I know it's a bit of an ask but, if you've read them, do you recall the anthologies listed being overly spoilery for older material that may feature the same characters or are they more just focused on the battle of the day type scenarios? For example I see Gaunt's Ghosts tales listed among them. I suppose not an absolute barrier either way as I recall my very first Dragonlance book from when I was a wee one was a Tales anthology that featured a few stories set after main events and that book worked to hook me. That should give an indication that I also don't mind older writing styles.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the Gaunt's Ghosts shortstory is one that take place either during the first book or just after it.

The other ones that I have read (have not read them all) of that use character's that appear in longer work did not spoil anything.

gat-65b likes this.
  19. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Ok, sounds good. Thanks again for the recommendations. Now just have to fit them all in.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We are getting some new upgrade kits for the HH Legions: As of yet it's only a set of sculpted pauldrons without anything extra* and heads for the Imperial Fists, Sons of Horus and Dark Angels.
    * a bit boring if you ask me, could they not at least added one with some kind of bling or officers marking?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of the heads The IF and BA are more or less just knightly heads (even if the IF are a bit more antique in feeling with their laurels and transversely crest for the officer(?) one) and can be used for any chapter or warband that you want to have a knighly feeling, but are not that useful outside of that. Even if the crested IF one could be used for a chapter with a more Rom-ish feeling. Many of them would also work for Iron Warriors, I think, since the IW are classicly depicted with a helmet that is aknightly of the notable "mouth visor" variant instead of the "skulle/angry face" helmet of most SM/CSM back in the day.

For the SoH ones I can easily see alternative uses for them as CSM heads (specially Alpha Legion based on the looks of Autilon Skorr), but I can't think of any SM chapter that they would easily fit with. Beside the helmetless one, he would fit with most chapters. Do people have any suggestions for alternative usese?

21. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    \

Even though you said you'd rather start with the war stuff I would start with Eisenhorn. It's a quicker read than the lengthy Gaunt's Ghost series (same author BTW) and it's very good (as is it's follow-on - Ravenor).

If you want to start with a single book that is straight up war then Helsreach is good - but personally I think Eisenhorn is a better introduction to the universe... it has a little bit of everything.

I personally have zero interest in the tabletop or painting; I got into 40K via PC gaming about 20 years ago (via Dawn of War). There's quite a few good 40K (and Warhammer Fantasy) PC games if you are a gamer. I basically play the games and read some of the books.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    gat-65b likes this.
  22. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Actually, I've started on one of the Anthology releases recommended earlier (Hammer and Eagle) and so far it actually is pretty straight war heavy itself (Comissar/Imperial Guard) so Eisenhorn may make the early list fairly soon. Have enjoyed the first couple short stories. When you say Eisenhorn gives a good introduction, does it actually break down the organizations you run across or more just Inquisition focused. I'm undecided on what approach I favour when reading but right now I am supplementing my reading with closer looks at the 40K wiki equivalent just to have a bit better picture of the factions I'm running into (I had an idea already but hard to keep them straight). On the flipside, I am also fine with dicovering as I go along but I get the feeling alot of the stories expect the reader to have some background knowledge going in with the brevity of their descriptions (For example, they don't seem to bother with describing Chapter armour even briefly or what a Cadian uniform would look like. I think maybe a legacy of expecting readers to come from tabletop?

On the other point, yeah it is too late for me to get into the tabletop (though I do enjoy seeing the minis all decked out). I actually also am dipping into the gaming side of things - almost entirely console based though, as I've always struggled mentally with my PC being a gaming vs work device. Bought a bunch of games in sales recently (I am aware of the mixed reception of the series' games quality). And actually recently unearthed my old PS3 copy of Space Marine - (the demo was my first Warhammer introduction and I enjoyed it enough to buy the game but never actually played it. Meant to get into the universe back then but never panned out). Might be hitting that as my next gaming experience as long as my PS3 holds out. Thanks for your recommendations.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    @gat-65b

Eisenhorn is inquisition focused,.... but there are parts with the imperial guard, arbites, space marines, chaos marines, daemons, etc.

They do a pretty good job of explaining all the major concepts - how interspace travel and communication work, what psykers are, xenos, imperial society, etc.

gat-65b and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just want to get this off me, I have the Deathwatch Veterans box and while it's overall a lovely box with lots of parts that can be combined in many different ways, do I have a small (but I think notable) complain: in the box we get eighteen Chapter specific right shoulder pads, which is very nice but the problem is that of those eighteen are four of them showing symbols that have only one Chapter use in the lore and are a bit hard to re-use: the Ultramarines, Blood Angels, White Scars, and Flesh Tearers. Unlike The Space Wolves pauldron which can also be used for the Shadow Wolves or Red Wolves, or the Raven Guard pauldron that can also be used for the Hawk Lords or Knights of the Raven, and such, so do the Ultramarines, Blood Angels, White Scars, and Flesh Tearers symbols not have any duel canon uses. And unlike the Salamanders dragon/drake head or the Dark Angels winged sword do at least I find it hard to come up with alternative uses of those symbols that don't feel strange. I would ahve prefered that tehy instead of giving us Ultramarines, Blood Angels, White Scars, and Flesh Tearers pauldrons had given use four other ones that could be used for more then one chapter, like the lightning bolt(?) used by the Rainbow Warriors and the Death Strikes, or the crossed axes used by the Crimson Guard, Celestial Guard, and War Bearers, or the big cat head seen on Tigers Argant, Astral Claws, and Tiger Claws, etc.

I think it's also comes from that many of those short stories try to be economical with their words and don't describe things that the viewpoint chracter/s would think of as normal, or is not important to the story, even if it's something that is not common knowledge among the fans (like the colours of lesser known successor chapters). Of course there are short stories that spend time describing stuff, e.g. Tradition's End by Aaron Dembski-Bowden where little really happens but we get lots of descriptions and personality of three Blood Angel successors: the Angels Numinous, Charnel Guard and Red Seraphs.

gat-65b likes this.
  25. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    That does sound like a good next step then. Choices, choices.

Yes, that makes sense. Ideally would want just a bit more to paint a picture so to speak, but with the plethora of online information, not hard to find pictures. I suppose much easier than it might have been when I was reading other series in the 90s. Just adjusting to being a neophyte in a broad universe. Ultimately I guess it's not unlike a newcomer to Star Wars coming across references to a Trandoshan or Barabel in a novel and not knowing what the heck those would like like (or even a Sentinel class shuttle or Munificent cruiser). Thankfully, like I said the connection to tabletop means there is lots of visual reference online.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022