main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Gamiel likes this.
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Darktide Open Beta: first impressions

• Graphics are excellent, the raytracing and volumetric fog makes all kinds of creepy lighting effects, the frantic horror vibes are even stronger than Vermintide. Music and sound effects also on point, they’ve nailed the grim dark feels
    • Characterization, not quite as distinctive and memorable as Vermintide. The new character-creator system is enough to give you the illusion of personalization, but nobody really sticks out. Consequently it’s not quite as funny as Vermintide either. But this will probably improve as content rolls out
    • Gameplay: pretty much the same as Vermintide, Left4Dead, etc, doesn’t really try anything new (so far) but probably doesn’t need to

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was thinking of using Night Lords heads (and maybe shoulderpads) togheter with AoS' Lizardmen bits to creat a Camazotz themed chapter. What do people think would be a fitting name? Camazotz means "death bat" in the Kʼicheʼ language so I could go with just 'Death Bats', should I go with that or do people have other suggestions?

Also, do people any idea about fitting colours?

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Inquisitor: Martyr is adding a Sororitas character in 2022, November 28: Inquisitor - Sororitas Class DLC - Community - NeocoreGames

----------------------

Also, anybody seen Lizardmen bits used to give non-SM figures a different feeling/character? I have seen them used on space Marines but can't recall any non-SM figures where they have been used.

----------------------

If anybody think of modelling Navigators (or personal psykers) would I say that Cursed City have at least four models that are excellent as such, either as they are or with just light modifications:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    After playing a fair bit of Darktide post-release, I'm disappointed to report it is a substantial step backwards from Vermintide 2. The main problems: no overarching narrative linking the missions, only one boss fight, little variety in environmental aesthetics, little characterization for the roster, little cosmetic customization unless you're willing to drop another $20-40 right out the gate. Presumably things will improve, these kinds of games do grow as more content comes out, but compared to Vermintide 2's content on release its a notable downgrade, and I suspect it will be another year or so before it really feels "complete". Things worth praising: what material they do have looks very good from enemies to environments, and the gameplay is refined, never clumsy.

On a more optimistic 40k video gaming note, Owlcat's Rogue Trader crpg has announced the date of an Alpha release on December 7 for buyers of the collector's editions, so we should be seeing a lot of gameplay footage very soon. As a fan of the old Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate and Plansecape Torment, this title is one of the most anticipated games on my radar.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Space Wolf by Babymordred121 on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Saw the new Horus Heresy Space Wolf upgrade kit and loved it! Felt inspired to draw my interpretation of a Space Wolf.
    I remembered seeing an interview with one of the old creative team for 40k, who lamented that the Space Wolves had essentially been reduced to just space Norwegians, considering that they had originally been envisioned as roving techno-barbarians without a direct cultural analog. Thus, this fella's
    a
    rad,
    black Space Wolf with dreadlocks. Rogue Trader days forever! [​IMG] "

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm way behind in my painting but it feels like I'm getting somewhere with my kitbash/coverting skills:

I also need to get a better camera

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Get Your Thinking Caps On – Black Library Open Submission Window Is Coming Early 2023
    [​IMG]
    "Black Library is home to many tales from the worlds of Warhammer, but as vast as it is, there are still stories to be told. Do you have a burning desire to tell a Warhammer story? If so, the Open Submissions window is the perfect place to show off your skills and have a chance of joining their pantheon of writers.

The Black Library team have a new theme for you to tackle next year – so without further ado, check out what they have to say.

Pious Black Templars. Ferocious Flesh Tearers. Steadfast Crimson Fists. Many of the Imperium’s most iconic Space Marine Chapters do not hail from the First Founding, but are Successors of the nine Loyalist Legions.

[​IMG]

These warrior brotherhoods proudly bear their Primarchs’ legacy and gene-seed while upholding their own cultural identity and style of warfare. There are countless Successor Chapters, and with the Emperor’s domain fractured by the Cicatrix Maledictum, their contribution is more crucial than ever, as they bring bolter and chainsword to bear against humanity’s myriad enemies.

Black Library is again on the hunt for promising new talent; this time, we’re looking for short stories featuring Space Marine Successor Chapters!

These stories should be high-stakes, action-heavy, and show the warriors of the Adeptus Astartes doing what they do best – while showcasing the unique traits of your chosen Chapter. What sets the Silver Skulls or the Mortifactors apart from other Ultramarines Successors – besides the colour of their armour?

[​IMG]

As always, we ask for a short summary of your story (up to 100 words) and a 500-word extract of the story to assess the quality of your writing. If we like what you send us, we’ll ask to see more – and you could become a published Black Library author!

For inspiration, why not pick up a copy of The Successors: A Space Marine Anthology, which features a diverse range of Chapters such as the Carcharodons, Emperor’s Spears, and Black Dragons? Or the novel Brothers of the Snake, the Readers’ Choice tale that first introduced the Iron Snakes Chapter!

[​IMG]

Thanks Black Library team! There are a couple of extra things to bear in mind when making your submission – no Chapters of your own creation, no Deathwatch or Grey Knights stories, and nothing set during the Horus Heresy. Strictly Era Indomitus please, and your tale should be of short-story length – so 5,000 to 10,000 words.

As with previous submissions, there will be a full list of terms and conditions coming when the submission window opens up in early January. Sign up for the Warhammer Community newsletter to be notified when submissions are live."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Master_Lok, JEDI-SOLO and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some pics of Chris Peach's guardsmen, to show how much a headswap and some different colours can make to a force, and to remind people that you don't need to paint your IG:s in khaki and green:

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wait they are asking people to send in fan fic to become actual legit novels?!

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    More or less. I think you are not allowed to send in things you have already "published" on the net, and you have to use a canon chapter, but that gives you lots of free rein since lots of chapter's have only a name, colours and/or short blurb about them. Then there are those with some more development like the Silver Skulls, Doom Eagles, Crimson Fist, Iron Snakes and similar.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That’s crazy. Just imagine if that actually kicks off someone’s career.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know that at least one of Black Library's returning authors got his start at an earlier Open Submission event.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

So Henry Cavil back in the game.

Master_Lok and VadersLaMent like this.
  19. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Holy cow, good for Henry! This could be huge, although I suspect it will be a challenging IP to adapt for streaming/movies.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He made a big deal about being into WH40K in interviews. So after this past couple days I thought this might be his next play.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  22. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Not a fan of Warhammer but i feel like we have to rename this thread “We have a Superman- The Warhammer 40k thread”

I will definitely watch for Cavill.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This means he'll have creative control, and not have to butt heads with people over content, or at least lesser than he did on The Witcher.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I would go with something more like "Napolion Solo is not your typical Warhammer player" since I like that movie more

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002