main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In Indy 4 Nuked The Fridge was Realistic!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    In Indy 4 Nuked The Fridge was Realistic! In Japan people survived the Nagasaki and Hiroshima Nukes by going into a bathtub and putting a mattress over top! Why not hiding in a fridge?
    this is a Survivor of the Japan Nuke Bombing he died at 93 in 2010...,
    [​IMG]

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd take a guess and assume that the bathtub stayed in its place instead of being blown away for hundreds of meters ;)

That being said, I never had much of an issue with this. It's Indiana Jones, there have been supernatural elements,.someone ripping a heart out of another human, with said person still being alive, and over the top action pieces throughout the entire saga, and somehow this fridge scene is supposed to be too much? Yeah, that's not a good argument.

DarthBoba, DARTH_BELO, Gobi-1 and 3 others like this.
  3. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    It is more plausible than entire mine rollercoaster chase in Temple of Doom (which I love)

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It seemed to many to be a fridge too far. (ha)

Gobi-1 and Sarge like this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    No more unrealistic then anything Indy did in the other films. How about jumping out of a plane in a raft that isn't inflated only to land upright in the snow and use it as a toboggan and then land in a river after falling off of a cliff hundreds of feet down:rolleyes: On Myth Busters they said the fall from the plane in the raft could have worked but if it tipped over you would be as flat as a pancake. Also the Minecar chase jumping the tracks 5 or more feet only to land and catch up to the other side and not have the minecar fall over and tip over the tracks:rolleyes: all the films had unrealistic things like Angels coming out of the Ark melting faces and The Cup of Christ giving everlasting life its all fanciful unbelievable BS no matter what Indy film! you know in a lot of action films they show you falling hundreds if not thousands of feet into water the ocean? In reality the speed and Velocity when you hit the water would be like hitting concrete you would break every bone in your body and die instantly:)

Sith Lord 2015 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  6. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    The complete disregard for physics when the mine car tip up on two wheels on the outside of a curve and still go around the track is triggering to me [face_laugh]

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    By that arguement you could just throw anything in an Indy movie and say but its Indy crazy things have happened before. The mine car chase was super entertaining, so I wasn't wtfing at the screen. To me the fridge was kind of dumb, as was the gopher at the end. But I still enjoyed the film, but much less than the others.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but its true nothing wrong with pointing out the truth. I could sit here and pretend these scenes in the Indy films didn't happen but that's not the kind of man I am to tell half truths and lies. I guess it depends on if you liked Indy 4 I loved it! I loved the Nuked The Fridge scene just as much as any wacky scene in any Indy film! You know its been 13 years since Crystal Skull came out! I am noticing a lot more Love for the film now 13 years out the same thing happened 10 and 20 years after Star Wars TPM came out!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I do like the film my post probably sounded harsher than I meant.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    its cool I understand sorry If my post sounded at all mean I didn't mean it to sound that way! I will also point out people survive some plane crashes and car wrecks with little scrapes and bruises so flying through the air like that was just a bit of a stretch LOL! also like Happy Days Jump The Shark Nuke The Fridge has become a thing in pop culture it was even referenced in a video game that to me is LOL Funny in a really good way!

christophero30 likes this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've never had any issue with the fridge scene, in the same way I've never had any issue with Indy using an inflatable raft to survive a fall from an airplane, down a mountainous slope, and into a river in Temple of Doom. One is no more or less ridiculous than the other, and they're both cliffhanger survival-solutions in a series grounded in pulp adventure serials. It's all par for the course, as far as I'm concerned.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I would hardly call the fridge scene realistic (because it really, really isn't), but for all the faults in KOTCS, that's not one I have a problem with. It's pure Indiana Jones silly fun, which doesn't have to be realistic - just consistant with the world it takes place in, and it is IMO.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think if you can survive a Nuclear Blast in a tub with a mattress over top surviving a Nuclear blast in a fridge is more realistic then one would think...

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's not him being in a fridge that makes it unrealistic, it's that fridge being flung hundreds of meters through the air and him getting out unscathed that's unrealistic.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Its still conceivably possible even if Unlikely ;)

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No it isn't. He would have been liquefied in there.

But again, that's OK. Indy survives absurd situations, that's part of the fun of the series.

19. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I like when he rolls out of the fridge and the hamster thing is looking at him ha ha

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I believe that is a prairie dog.

paradigmes likes this.
  21. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    [​IMG]

Sarge and christophero30 like this.