main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions In real life what would you be a Jedi or a Sith?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Teegirloo, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    I'd be a Seperatist; dark force abilities mixed with an army of clankers and a plate of fudge brownies, I'm more golden than Dooku ever was...

Nom von Anor and Kato Sai like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Lol you wouldn’t fudge around, but crush them clones, crush them clones! Crush them clones! :p

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    If you look at all the material/lore in a cumulative and overarching eye, you can draw these sorts of general themes.

The story of Vectivus is foremost a way to convince Jacen being a Sith doesn't require you burn every bridge you have in your life. Vectivus' ghost(or the illusion that claimed to be it)-very much believed that sacrifice of innocents was necessary-hence the phantoms attached to a living being, somewhere. I think a lot of the fans over estimate Vectivus' uniqueness-either his supposed benevolence, or his business centric focus. We know from the Plagueis novel he was a Banite-and that means he worked towards the destruction of the Jedi and Republic(Lumiya's claims aside)-even if not directly. With that in mind-it appears he sought out a Sith master, and died either peacefully(not likely given Banite succession tradition)-or died in such a way he could spend his last moments/hours with his family. Ironically-Jacen died in the presence of family as well-just not peacefully or of old age.

Point is-he was a Sith Lord, and Lumiya is painting a picture of him that is perhaps...rosier and more wholesome than who he was (not that he didn't exist-LOTF, and other material makes it clear he did).

As a rule, though, being a Sith requires a decisive break with your past life, often with family members or friends being slain to demonstrate you really mean it and ensure you cannot turn back.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Kato Sai and Watcherwithin like this.
  4. KnightofRaxusPrime

KnightofRaxusPrime Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2022
    Neither, I'm Grey Side. :cool:
    [​IMG]

5. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    First option: being a Je'daii.
    Second option: being a Jedi from Luke's New Jedi Order.
    Third option: being a Jedi from the TOTJ era.
    Fourth option: being a non trained Force sensitive person, like Leia in the OT.
    Fifth option: not being Force sensitive at all.

Everything else (Sith, Prequel/post-KOTOR Jedi, Cult of Waru) just sucks.

Sarge likes this.
  6. VergeresTears

VergeresTears Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2023
    I think I'd either be a Jedi who constantly struggles with preventing his baser urges from taking over and falling over to the dark side, or a Dark Jedi who feels kinda bad about falling to the dark side but can't be bothered to turn back. I don't think I could ever be a total Sith.

7. noiamyourFADAH

noiamyourFADAH Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 30, 2023
    if star wars was real, id rather be a citizen. I would like to have nothing to do with the Empire nor the Republic. if i was given a choice, then I'd go with Jedi, bad guys are cool but good guys save lives

Sarge likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Much to ruminate on.

I understood Lord Vectivus was Bainite until he abandoned the fold, deciding to leave that path of darkness behind. You said Lumiya gave his history a rosier gloss, that is intriguing since unlike the more known Darths you’d expect to have ‘touched’ up legends, why Vectivus? How does his path warrant a rosier polish?

Tay Neir likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Vectivus began as a mining owner who sought out the Sith due to the concentration of the dark side in his mine. Seeking out a master-admittedly unusual but not impossible. The Plagueis novel mentions him alongside other Banites, so we know he was one. And he didn’t reject the Sith-only one Banite(before Vader) did, and that was Gravid.

The other part is he died surrounded by loved ones. Lumiya’s gloss is that Jacen doesn’t have to entirely destroy every relationship he has, or become another Sidious. Ironically as I said-he did die in the presence of family, just not as an old man in a soft bed. Lumiya’s entire message about Vectivus was that he was one-willing to make the hard sacrifices, but his empathy and human relationships he did not entirely remove.

This is a message that was near tailor made to appeal to Jacen. I don’t think Lumiya is lying per se-at least no later works really treat her as lying, but it seems clear to me that she at the minimum presented Vectivus in a warmer gentler light than who he really was. Because that the goal was to convince Jacen to become a member of the order of the Sith Lords.

Tay Neir likes this.
  10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I see so Lumiya was using Vectivus’ story in same way Palpatine did the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis to manipulate Anakin’s fall. So we see a precedent of using Sith history in a slanted way to make converts; granted Sith are not the only ones who do this, other so called nobler factions have.

Tay Neir likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Its actually really simpler than that. Lumiya's pitch as to why Jacen should become a Sith doesn't really revolve around Vectivus. Her story of Vectivus on the other hand is a way to assure Jacen he doesn't have to...slaughter his family or something. She's essentially saying he doesn't have to make that sacrifice.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Which is a lie because most of them are Jedi, the sworn enemy of The Sith, which will lit them against Jacen and he will so be altered by his dark transformation they will not love him the same, just as Padme said to Vader, “I don’t know you anymore! You’ve changed!”

13. Newkirk

Newkirk Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2022
    I am a Jedi, like my father before

Sarge likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    My read on being a Sith is its basically a pull yourself up by the bootstraps or fall and die a failure mindset. And that isn't just for final duels between masters and apprentices. There is no cushion or forgiveness for mistakes, indolence or bad judgements as a Sith. If you're a Sith apprentice, and you're being quizzed by your master on some bit of ancient history, you better know that bit of ancient history. Bad things will happen if you don't. Being a Sith requires a very high amount of self discipline, and a lot of self drive. For example you might be given an assignment just as a student to study 100 books in a day, sound impossible? Well, you better find a way to make it possible. There's no "B" in being a Sith, in relation to success. You do what is expected and demonstrate you actually have the necessary oomph of power and will or you fail and die in disgrace. That means you probably don't get to sleep in, hang out with friends, or use the "it was just too difficult/complicated/stressful" excuse when you fail or mess up. To even give an excuse means your unworthy.

That isn't to say Jedi are less self disciplined, but they have a bit of a lower bar for failure, and are more forgiving when you do make a mistake.

One small bit of the Legacy comics that relates somewhat is on the Imperial palace, assassin droids stalked the halls(this was under Krayt) so Sith were supposed to be always alert, always on guard, relax for a second? You might get a blaster shot or vibroblade in the back. There's very little room for rest as a Sith and none for failure. Strength and cunning are demonstrated by accomplishing the commanded assignments you're given and not dying in the process or otherwise. Failure meets a red lightsaber through the neck or some other means of quick disposal.

The worst the Jedi will do to you is expel you, if you simply don't cut it.

That is something to keep in mind in this discussion.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023