main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT In TESB, How Luke landed on the same continent where Yoda lived ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Did Yoda force pull his X Wing from the Dagobah's atmosphere?

Or, it was just some dumb luck ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Sadie Erso likes this.
  2. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Suspension of disbelief, will of the Force, etc. It's just incidental for storytelling purposes. Pretty much the same way the droids end up on Tatooine, and happen to meet Luke and Obi-Wan.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  3. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    The droids ended up there because Leia wanted to visit Obi Wan and bring him to Alderaan.

StartCenterEnd and Sadie Erso like this.
  4. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    It's still particular locations on an entire planet, with the right characters happening to meet each other.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  5. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, of course it's non-linear Arthurian Romance, with a side of Shakespeare's The Tempest. The Song of Roland comes to mind, medieval French poem about a historical event. The rhyme is the linearlity.

In terms of possible micronarrative, Luke said:
    So the place departs from linear, and from linear expectation, based on Luke's words. (I am still a literalist that Luke's stay on Dagobah was not of a magical duration of three days, because the Falcon cannot have taken literally three days to cross interstellar space if its hyperdrive was literally broken. QED.)

And then a strange thing happened on the way to the moment of enlightenment.

Either another instance of non-linear fantastical convenience occurred, or, Yoda arranged that:
    "Yoda sits on a large root, poking his Gimer Stick into the dirt." materially suggests that Yoda has brought Luke to this place specifically.
    Luke being able to sense this dark cave, for good or bad, puts it on the radar in a way that no other place on the planet's surface is reported to have done.
    Obi-Wan could sense the state of Alderaan's inhabitants.
    Vader could sense the presence of Obi-Wan.
    Vader could sense the presence of Luke.
    Luke could sense the location of the remote.
    Luke could sense the location of the target shaft.
    Luke could sense the presence of Vader.
    Luke could sense the state of Han.
    Leia could sense the state of Luke.
    The Emperor could not sense the presence of Luke, and that was reported as an exception.
    Sensing presence or state is qualifying grounds for a micronarrative that Luke sensed where he should land, even if he wasn't consciously aware of the mechanics of it.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  6. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    The Force led him there.
    When Obi Wan told Luke to go to Dagobah, he didn’t give specifics of what part of the planet to land on. He knew just directing him there would be sufficient enough.

Funny how many times I’ve seen TESB and never thought of how crazy it is that he happens to land with in the vicinity of Yoda. Interesting thought.

On a side note, another scene I’ve always enjoyed in TESB is when the Imperials are going over where the Rebels could be hidden at — and they discuss Hoth and Vader chimes in
    “That’s it. The rebels are there. That is the system.”

Despite no proof or indication of a Rebel hideout on Hoth, the power of the Force is enough to know their location after the planet is brought up in conversation.

I would suppose the power of the Force is enough to guide a young hero, who is still more of a novice in his abilities with the Force, to the correct location that his teacher is at on Dagobah.

EHT likes this.
  7. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Tractor Beam

Alpha-Red likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So I think the best option here is that The Force lead him there.....I'm really not sure there is much else to be said other than that besides "luck"....but Obi-wan doesn't believe in that so I'm going to lock this thread.

Sadie Erso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.