main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In the Pale Moonlight (Crack-Ship Challenge Entry) Sabe, Garm Bel Iblis-Concluded 1/9/07!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: In the Pale Moonlight
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Sabe', Garm Bel Iblis
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Disclaimer: This is all George's jungle.
    A/N: this is my second entry in the Crack Pairing Paradise Challenge. I hope you enjoy this not so cracked 'ship.

The funeral for former Queen and Senator Padme Amidala was a somber occasion. It was quiet except for the hoof beats of the graceful creatures pulling Padme?s casket. It was hard to imagine such grief and sadness in such a beautiful place. The planet, as a whole, exuded a happiness and serenity. There should be children playing in the streets. The markets should be open and busy. But today, there would be none of that. A beloved planetary figure was dead. As the procession passed, Senator Garm Bel Iblis lowered his head. He watched the flower laden casket and remembered Padme?s spirit in the senate and her passion about ending the war.

The war is over, Padme, but you left us too soon. The man we feared now rules us all.

Bel Iblis was yanked from his thoughts when he caught the eye of Padme?s spitting image. The woman was alive and walking behind the casket. For a moment, he feared he was seeing a ghost. The woman seemed a little taller than he remembered Padme being, and her eyes, sad as they were, had fire in them. Her brown hair was straight and worn on her shoulders in a nontraditional way. He figured she wore it that way in grief. A white sun dress hung loosely about her, but it did not disguise the lean body underneath. She was no apparition. She turned away, breaking their eye contact, and continued to follow the casket, presumably to the burial site. Garm was surprised by the desires that rose in him at the site of her.

I?m at a funeral for Force sake!

He turned to his long time aide, Sena Mindanyl, and covertly pointed in the direction of the woman, now further down the avenue.

?I want you to find out who that woman is,? he whispered, watching the lithe figure retreat with the procession. ?Now. Go on.?

Sena disappeared into the crowd.

Later that evening, Garm waited at his hotel for word from Sena. He had changed from his formal wear to something more casual and opened a bottle Nubian whiskey, which he had never tasted. Surprisingly, the brown liquid had a bite that pleased him.

Walking out on the balcony, setting his glass of whiskey on the balustrade, Garm pulled a Correllian cigar from inside his jacket pocket. He then brought a match from a front pocket of his vest and struck it. He brought the match to the tip of the cigar and began to lightly suck on the end in his mouth. Smoke began to rise and he blew out a plume of his own, just ask quickly breathing in the sweet smell.

He opened his eyes and looked out on the Nubian capital city. The architecture was captivating in a simple, home grown way. It was pleasing to the eye, but also set one at ease they way Coruscant never could. Coruscant was beautiful in its own way, but nothing like this place. He looked down at the street. It was clean. Another miracle.

Where is Sena? Why am I so nervous? This planet is doing something to me?and I?m not sure I like it.

Looking further down the cobblestone street, he could see a lone figure walking toward him. She moved gracefully as she came his way. The flowing white dress was unmistakable. His mind raced. Turning quickly back toward the hotel interior, he brushed the whiskey glass and it fell to the street below.

?Kriff,? he said under his breath. Leaving the cigar on the rail, he shot from the room and down the stairs. He pulled a mini-com unit from his jacket and thumbed it on.

?Sena? Are you out there? This is Garm. I, er?You can let that, uh, assignment go. I?ve stumbled onto the answer myself.?

There was a short silence and then a loud static feedback before Sena replied.

?Sure thing, Senator. I discovered a wake for Senator Amidala. I thought I might find the girl here, or at least

2. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    This looks nice :)

Could I please recive PMs when you update![:D]

3. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Very nice. Definitely keep this going master.

She turned back to him, beautifully sad eyes, welling. She hastily wiped the tears away and straightened.

?No one knew her better?not even him.?

Love the language you use.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! =D= Please PM when you update. :p

5. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Interesting...I really enjoy reading about Garm in the books....hoping for a PM....

Raptor517

6. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Oo, wow. This is well-written. PM me when you update!

P.S. Welcome back to the wonderful world of crack 'ships!;)

7. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    brodiew [:D] welcome back to crack!ships! You never fail to deliver on these. I'm simply humming with anticipation!

Garm as a young senator *sighs* This is just perfect! I love your characterization of him - he does NOT get enough book time ;)

The fact that Sabé calls herself a ghost is just... so sad :( and yet appropriate. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next post!

8. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Well I agree. This is not a "cracked" ship at all. It seems perfectly right.

Great job! The next part should be lovely.

9. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    totally cool Brodie!

Pinned again the wall, Garm was closer to her than he had ever been. The woman?s feral beauty was palpable. Her eyes shone wildly and her breasts pressed ever so slightly against the fabric of her dress as she spoke. A light breeze tossed stray hairs into her face, but she ignored them.

Nice guy perspective! You must pm me when you post! Maybe romance/mush is your true calling!;)

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved her description of herself as a ghost and her honesty but evasiveness with Garm. Well done!

11. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Beautifully done Brodie.

Since the Tales of the New Republic I've been a fan of Garm's. And I do so love seeing him in fanfic.

So this is about love at first sight. My favorite kind of story. And you're off to a wonderful start.

Good one, Garm. You use that line on all the ladies? Think, before she gets away.

[face_laugh] I think Garm's heart is beating too loudly for his mind to listen.

?Who are you?? he asked.

I'm afraid the author's going to make you wait for that answer. Which is good because that means more is to come. :)

She turned back to him, beautifully sad eyes, welling. She hastily wiped the tears away and straightened.

?No one knew her better?not even him.?

Though he doesn't know who he is this tells him that she was the closest person to Padme. And that this was the most devastating of losses to her personally.

Excellent start. And definitely let me know when it's udpated.

Thanks

12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you all for the kind words. I've really fallen for this fic and hope it continues to please. I'll be back with responses later.

Garm stepped from the wall and straightened his clothes. He was still in shock of the lady?s deadly speed. He swallowed hard.

?I don?t know who you are speaking of, Miss, but your distress is obvious. Perhaps I could walk with you.? Quickly adding, ?We don?t have to talk.?

The woman continued to walk down the avenue. He followed, again, coming to her side. She made no move to rebuff him nor did she encourage him. She simply stopped her lilting gait, and now walked with more purpose, as if headed to a specific destination.

?Who is the man you spoke of?? he asked, after the two had on gone only a few steps in silence.

?I thought we weren?t going to talk,? she said, turning her head slightly in his direction, catching his eye.

?Right!? he replied nervously, shoving his hands into his pants pockets. He wished he had a flask of that whiskey.

They walked in silence for another block. Garm was able to take in the nighttime ambiance of the city and, at least, try to take in as much of her as possible. He would steal glances when he thought she wasn?t looking and sometimes drop a step or two behind and look at her long neck, smooth shoulders, and shapely backside.

?You are staring at me, Senator,? she said, just the hint of edge in her voice. ?Why??

Awww, hellfire! Just tell her, you fool!

?It?s hard not to see how beautiful you are,? he said, turning toward her as they walked.

He noticed her cheeks flush, and the redness flow down her neck and dissipate at her collar, but he could sense no joy in her reaction.

?You confuse me with Senator Amildala. She was the beauty,? the woman replied.

Garm took her deflection in stride, an ounce of confidence restored in that he expected this response.

?That?s not it, milady. The two of you look alike, but the more I look at you, the more I see the differences. Your beauty eclipses even hers.?

Where is this coming from? I sound like a holo- romance.

?No!? she said, forcefully. She stopped, catching him by the arm, and turning him toward her. ?You dishonor her by saying so!?

The flinch he felt at her touch was minimal. Looking into her eyes, he saw her pain, but he still didn?t understand her protestations.

?I meant no offense,? he said. ?I merely made a statement about you. How do I dishonor her? Are you her sister? What is your name??

?Because I would gladly give my life to bring her back!? she exclaimed, one hot tear escaping her left eye.

?Okay, Okay,? he replied, reflexively raising his hands in surrender, hoping to appease the angry grief he was seeing.

?Why am I talking to you? I don?t even know you. Do you think I didn?t notice you eyeing me like some piece of meat? Is that what you want??

She slapped him, hard, across the face. Quickly she raised the same hand to do so, again. As she swung her open palm, he caught her wrist before she could connect. He held it firmly.

?Wait!? he yelled, hoping to break her concentration, before she shifted to another form of attack. ?Listen to me, woman!?

?Why?? She replied, ferociously, attempting to wrest her wrist from his large hand.
    ?Because you?re right!? He let go of her wrist and took a step back. ?I have been eyeing you unfairly.?

?What?? Her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

?I?ve been looking at your?body as much as I?ve been trying to talk?to you,? he stammered, feeling sweat break on his forehead and temples.

Her leery expression, softened, but only a little. She was shocked by his blatant honesty. She titled her head and a small smile broke across her lips. He continued.

?When I saw you this morning at the funeral our eyes met. For some reason, Force knows, I thought there was some kind of connection.? Her eyes left his and looked to the ground. ?Did you feel that??

No answer.

?Did you feel it?? he asked, again, bending forward to try and catch her downcast eyes.

?Yes?? she repl

13. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    ?Right!? he replied nervously, shoving his hands into his pants pockets. He wished he had a flask of that whiskey.

Heheh. Nice portrayal of Garm's nevervousness.

I liked the dialogue between the two characters. It was done quite well.

14. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    ?Did you feel it?? he asked, again, bending forward to try and catch her downcast eyes.

?Yes?? she replied, in but a whisper.

She said yes. [face_dancing]

Oh, I definitely liked how he fessed up about eyeing her. Good call Garm.

Wonderful update Brodie. Boy, this is just zinging along here. And I love it.

15. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    YEAH! [face_dancing] Way to go, Garm, for being honest! [face_dancing] (And way to go, for writing it that way!) [face_dancing] Well, this is getting better all the time. I like Sabe's utter devotion to Padme, and the honesty she has with Garm, in being willing to confront him. Of course, she CAN kick his tail...[face_beatup]

Great post!

Raptor517

16. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I really like Garm's honesty, it is refreshing. This is so... oh I don't know what to say to describe it. It is so powerful, in its way.

17. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Great Chapter!

These too make an intresting couple!

Thanks for the PM

18. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Her leery expression, softened, but only a little. She was shocked by his blatant honesty. She titled her head and a small smile broke across her lips. He continued.

?When I saw you this morning at the funeral our eyes met. For some reason, Force knows, I thought there was some kind of connection.? Her eyes left his and looked to the ground. ?Did you feel that??

No answer.

?Yes?? she replied, in but a whisper.

See gentlemen, honesty works better than lines. You know, Han and Leia started out adversarial and their omance is legendary! =D= Brodie!

19. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    I had my doubts about this story. I was sure I wasn't going to love your new crackship couple as much as you did. Way to prove me wrong.:)

I'm hooked. Put me on whatever PM list you've got.

20. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Where is this coming from? I sound like a holo- romance.

[face_laugh][face_laugh] that was an LOL moment!

I love the tension between them, Garm's brutal honesty makes her unable to lie to him. Awesomeness in itself.

This was just too cool - the dynamic between them in great!

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    slow_dawn: thanks for reading, padawan. I'm pleased with how this is proceeding. Yes, for a bold Corellian senator, Garm seems pretty nervous around this pretty lady.

Lola64: thanks, Dawn. I wanted to there to be an honest moment that would knock Sabe off her guard. I'm glad it worked. Yes, this fic appears to be writing itself!

Raptor517: Thank you, Raptor. I think the honesty was a shock to Garm as well. the woman was attacking him. But, he was also looking a way to break down her walls. this worked. With Sabe, I wanted to potray her a utterly devoted, and even years after her service ended, utterly grieving. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Handmaiden_Azul: Thank you, Azul. Garm's honesty appears to be the highlight of this post...as it should be. thank you for the kind words. I helps to know that you are connecting to the story.

G__Anakin: Thanks for reading, G! they are interesting, aren't they.

obsessedwithSW: Thanks, Sharon. You are right about H/L. There was some snarkiness there as well. I"m glad you like.

emeraldshadow: What? You feared not liking it? Fair enough. But I won you over. glad to hear it. You will get the PM this time.

Jade_Max: Thanks for reading, Jade. I'm happy to have you on board. Those internal comments are a bit og comic relief, aren't they. there is more to come.

?Good,? he said, nodding, as if he had won a great battle. Immediately, he rethought the comment. ?I mean?I?m glad to hear it.? Garm?s posture straightened and he grinned, the root of his naturally self-assured attitude resurfacing.

?I admit an attraction to you, Senator, but it is not good,? she replied.

The smile on his face faded to frustrated puzzlement; the wind in his sails disappearing as soon as it kicked up.

?Please call me Garm?and what?s wrong with feeling an attraction to me?? he asked, trying not to look like a disappointed child.

?It is the day-evening of my queen?s funeral, and-?

?You said that before,? he interjected. ?I can hear the accent on my queen each time you mention her. I understand grief as much as the next man, but why was she so important to you? And, after that slap, you might, at least, tell me your name.?

The woman sighed heavily, and Garm had to consciously avert his eyes from her rising breasts.

Just keep your eyes on her eyes or something else, because even your most covert glances were as obvious as a Correllian teetotaler.

?Let?s walk,? she said, quietly.

Garm had not been paying attention to where the road was leading. Turning to follow her, he noticed that the street opened up into a large turn around. Beyond the circular drive, in the distance, was the Royal Palace.

?My name is Sabe Inis Pedar,? she began. ?I was chief among Queen Amidala?s handmaidens. I was her protector, her double for public appearances, when needed, and her friend. I was more than a friend, really.? Raising an eyebrow at him she continued, ?No, not in the way your male mind works. I guess you could say we were like sisters.?

Garm?s face expressed mock embarrassment at her backhanded jab, then he smiled in genuine interest at her words. She led them through the turnaround and onto a path that ran parallel to the long mall that approached the palace.

?We talked about everything from planetary and galactic politics to staff scheduling and gossip. We would discuss her fears and hopes as well as gossip about members of her court. There was much to gossip about, with so many handmaids, and each one bearing some resemblance to the queen. Let me tell you, it was never boring.?

Garm could not have been more pleased with Sabe?s new demeanor. He figured she needed to talk about Padme, and, for now, that was fine with him. He was happy to see her smiling and noticed, he was sure, obviously, that the muscles in her neck and shoulders had relaxed.

?Tell me a story,? he said, softly, not wanting her to close up again.

?Well, there was the incident with the Governor of Brickton,? she said, a

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Oops! sorry about the double post. I feel better, now. ;)

23. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    The smile on his face faded to frustrated puzzlement; the wind in his sails disappearing as soon as it kicked up.

I really enjoy reading your take on Garm. Hmm, where could they be going?

24. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    The combination of her calling him by name and taking his hand was almost too much for Garm. He looked down at their hand?together and looked back to her. His mind swirled and his anxiety rose. The pinky lock was uncomfortable for him, but he was not about to break it. Touching her was electric. Fearing putting his foot in his mouth, he smiled back at her and spoke anyway.

?So, where are you taking me?? he asked, barely controlling its rising pitch.

I?m a kriffing school boy, here. I swear the woman is using Jedi mind tricks to confuse me.

Too cute! Im digging this Brodie!:D

25. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Again, a wonderful update.

Things are going smoothly for our couple me thinks.

Just keep your eyes on her eyes or something else, because even your most covert glances were as obvious as a Correllian teetotaler.

[face_laugh] You have such a great way with his thoughts Brodie. Gives him a realistic personality, not like the uptight rebel of the rebellion.

And so she's taking him somewhere, hmmm? [face_thinking]

I'm sure it's not somewhere he would expect. Of course what I'm thinking is not much better. :p

I'll guess I'll stay tuned to this same bat channel to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.