main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In Universe Knowledge About Palpatine's Conspiracy (who knows what)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Meeko Ghintee, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    So, as viewers, we all know Palpatine is a secret Sith Lord who played both sides in the Clone Wars. I have always wondered, who knew of this fact in the various eras of Star Wars? For example:

Jango Fett/Boba Fett: Jango provided DNA for the Republic army because of Dooku but also served Dooku for Separatist purposes. Was he told the army was for the Republic? Did he know Dooku was playing both sides? Boba was living in Kamino the whole time the Republic army was being cloned and saw his dad serve the Separatists on Geonosis. How could any of this be without them knowing?

The Kaminoans: The Kaminoans were in contact with Dooku. The Kaminoans also served the Republic. By the same logic as Jango, would they have known?

The Rebellion/New Republic: Bail Organa helped Yoda and witnessed the events Revenge of the Sith go down. He was also an influential member of the Rebel Alliance. Would he have shared all this knowledge with the rest of the Rebellion? Assuming he did, given that the Rebellion won, is the true history of the Clone Wars known to educated people of the New Republic? How about the Sith Lord part? If Jedi are a myth by the time of the Force Awakens, are the Sith as well? How could that be if Palpatine was such an integral figure?

Imperials/Imperial Remnants: Its probably a given that only a few high ranking Imperials (or perhaps none at all) knew the truth about Palpatine. But if the truth came out after the Galactic Civil War, would people like "The Client" in the Mandalorian be aware? Would they just dismiss it as lies? Be loyal to the Empire but not the Emperor?

2. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    No one knew.
    Dooku handled most of the kamino missions as far as I know and when Palpatine did something himself he was hidden as Darth Sidious.
    You should read the book about Darth Plagueis, its very interesting and shows how both handle this stuff in secret.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  3. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I didn't think Plagueis was applicable to the new canon. Dooku handling the missions doesn't make it better as he was quite outwardly the leader of the Separatists.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If we talk about Legends, then Sate Pestage knew about Palpatine and Sidious being one and the same, so he would have known about the conspiracy. In canon, it's likely Mas Amedda knew (he was still the Grand Vizier by the time of ROTJ and the Aftermath trilogy, although in the latter, he was basically a puppet).

Not all of Sidious's servants knew about him being Palpatine. Kinman Doriana thought they were two separate individuals (again, in Legends).

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  5. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Good questions:
    Jango Fett-don’t see any reason for him to know about Palpatine’s involvement in any of this. Does know the clone army is for the Republic but this is only suspicious if he knows Tyranus is Count Dooku. I would assume he doesn’t because he tells Obi-wan the truth about who hired him which doesn’t make sense if he’s in on the conspiracy. I am curious how he would have felt about fighting the clones had he survived long enough. (I doubt he’d have any moral quandaries about killing them but he may question what good being paid handsomely to create an army is if that army turns around and kills him).

The Kaminoans-TCW contradicts this a bit but as far as they know “Sifo-Dyas” was just another customer who ordered a clone army for the Republic and so they made one. Unfortunately Sifo-Dyas isn’t around anymore but luckily the Republic is still interested in doing business together. The Kaminoans just need to update their contact information to someone with the authority to speak on the Republic’s behalf, and who better for that than a Chancellor imbued with emergency powers?

The Rebellion- This is a tough one. Would Yoda/Kenobi have mentioned the Sith angle to Bail? Probably. Would Bail think it relevant information to the other Rebel leaders? Maybe. Would knowing Palpatine is a Sith be enough to unravel the fact that the entire Clone War was a sham and Dooku was working with Palpatine the whole time only to be betrayed and killed? Debatable. Do the Jedi ever confide with anyone the shadiness of the clone army’s creation? Maybe Kenobi spends his free time looking into it. Are he and Bail ever in contact prior to Leia’s mission or is that considered too risky? From a narrative standpoint I’d like to think the New Republic can at least confirm the Jedi were victims rather than the conspirators the Empire painted them as.

Imperial Remnants-The truth about Palpatine would be on a need to know basis and I can’t imagine many of them would need to know. They’d also have access to whatever the New Republic makes public of course but they probably wouldn’t care.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the New Republic captured Mas Amedda, Amedda might have been questioned about Palpatine.