main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Loved the trailer so much more, just having the Raiders march raises it and says to me this is going to be an epic adventure. The line "are you still a Nazi?" was just genius and of course Sallah shouting "give 'em hell Indiana Jones!"

2. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    I haven't been impressed with what I have seen yet

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Absolutely loved both trailers so far just wish it was more then 30 seconds!

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think it will be a homage in the same sense that TFA was to A New Hope! I'm fine with fan service I love it! Sorry for the double post my bad, mods feel free to merge my posts!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    AndyLGR likes this.
  5. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    This is what my wife and I feared watching the trailers, that it's gonna be another TFA-like movie. I liked ep 7 but, you know, been there, done that...i don't want a indiana jones soft reboot, i hope the movie brings new ideas, new plot twists, new dynamics. I'm ok with a bit of nostalgia, but i'm tired of movies retreading old ground. I want to be surprised. If Dial of Destiny is just a modernized and inferior patchwork of Ark/Crusade/Temple scenes then what's the point? Of course perhaps it won't be just that, but so far the trailers feel a bit like it. I hope i'm wrong, i'm still hyped, it's 50/50 split optimism/pessimism right now to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    GunganSlayer likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It doesn't look as similar to the earlier movies as The Last Crusade is to Raiders of the Lost Ark. And regardless of the rehashing, Crusade is awesome, so I'm not worried about that.

I just hope it's a better sequel/ending to the series than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was, and everything we've seen so far looks promising in that regard.

Sarge and AndyLGR like this.
  7. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    Question: i saw a post on the raider/raven forums, they said you can see some ancient greek city and boats on the island during the parachute scene during the teaser..the resolution is not good enough on my computer to be sure. I can see a city and sure it looks like some ancient greek town maybe, but i can't see the boats. Acient boats too? Anyone has better resolution and checked the scene?

If confirmed, then i think we can ditch the idea of indy running into a 60s peplum movie set (leaked photos) or a flashback and our hero going back in time is happening!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The set photos of the romans (I think) in costume had Indy lying on the floor in a parachute didnt it?

9. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    exactly, and we can see what looks like a "ancient" city on the island in the teaser trailer. Of course it could be a long lost city , but people over theraider forum say there are boats visible around the island, "ancient" boats...my resolution is not high enough, but if true then it must be the past (and not a desolated ruin) with Indy and Helena jumping from the plane...

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Couple that with the footage in the original trailer of the view from the bomber cockpit as its flying through some kind of vortex.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw the trailer , some of the FX shots look dodgy.

12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think the CG effect that ages Harrison Ford to look in his 70's was that good.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wouldn't put much stock in ancient-looking boats as proof of time travel. I've been to the Persian Gulf and the Mediterranean, and I've seen ancient fishing boat designs still being built brand new in the dockyards.

TCF-1138 and Django Fett like this.
  14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    True, but with the leaked pictures of a roman/greek battle, and the dial/,destiny timey wimey wink wink title...a lot of clues are pointing in that direction!

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That shouldnt be hard.

TCF-1138 and AndyLGR like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You call that easy?! :han:

17. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Mads Mikkelsen doesn't do bad films!!!

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Fantastic Beasts 3 says hi. :p

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    To his credit, when he's doing bad films he chooses those that deliver on the "badness" criteria!!

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  20. ToughLuck32

ToughLuck32 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2023
    I really think the cynicism is unfair here. James Mangold's a more proven director with a better track record than someone of J.J. Abrams of Star Wars. He's no Lucas or Spielberg. But he's no JJ Abrams and is probably a better version of what Rian Johnson could've been and could've done with Star Wars in The Last Jedi if JJ hadn't gotten involved at the start of the Sequel Trilogy.

He's promised a movie that will be an original story that takes risks. He's even promised to acknowledge Indiana Jones 4 as canon in Indy 5. And it at least looks like Harrison Ford is still having a blast playing Indy.

So I think he'll succeed and at least satisfy Indiana Jones movie lovers/fans, even those of George Lucas, where JJ Abrams failed with Star Wars.

And I have utter faith and more confidence he was telling the truth about collaborating with Lucas and Spielberg on this movie to get it right, more than I did with JJ on SW VII & IX, which was basically no faith at all.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yep, well said.

Mangold is someone who I consider a filmmaker. He is someone who I consider a director. Someone with vision, style, technical expertise, and understanding (and I say this as someone who doesn't even like all of his movies). To me, JJ Abrams is just someone who makes movies and TV shows.

I was excited years back when Mangold was circling some Star Wars projects, and I became super pumped when he was announced as the new director of Indy V. I hold Spielberg in high regard, but I think it was best for both him as a filmmaker and for the success of the project, that a new director take over.

Can't wait to see what we have in store for us!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Is he in that? I wouldn't know as I've never seen it:p

23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Mangold has a better portfolio than any of the other directors LFL hired for the Star Wars movies, aside from Howard. Hopefully that will be enough to at least let the franchise retire with dignity. I have to say though, the action they’ve shown thus far in the trailers doesn’t look promising, lots of mediocre CGI . . .

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  24. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Agreed. it'll be way better then avatar even though it won't show at the box office.
    [​IMG]

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    My mom wants to see this so badly, she and I are taking Dad to see this as a date night. We were watching the Super Bowl and she was really excited after seeing the tv trailer.