main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think the idea that people weren't interested in that series because Hannibal Lecter wasn't played by Anthony Hopkins, who isn't the first actor to play that role regardless, is a massive stretch, and I've never seen anything to suggest that was the case. Massive amounts of pirating is one, however, since that series was released just as people expected their TV to be more convenient, but right before that convenience was readily available for every series. Hell, I mostly pirated the show when it came out, because it was the most accessible way to watch it while I was in university. I really don't think there's this degree of preciousness with recasting that will wholesale prevent something from being successful.

I mean, look at the newer Star Trek films: those original actors are iconic in their roles, and the casting is uniformly held up as one of the better things about the movies. Each is well reviewed, and I believe all three are the highest grossing in the franchise. Returning to James Bond, people may have griped about Roger Moore, but his first film in the series outgrossed every one of Sean Connery's. I think people are willing to accept recasting as long as the casting is good, and they'll accept the film the recast is in as long as they like the movie.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    I know that Brian Cox played the role in Manhunter, but let’s keep it real. When most people think of Hannibal Lecter, they think of Hopkins. Hopkins made that role iconic. Technically, Sean Connery wasn’t the first actor to play James Bond either. That honor went to Barry Nelson (he had a small role in The Shining, where he interviews Jack Nicholson at the beginning). But just as Connery made Bond into a screen icon, Hopkins made Lecter into a screen icon.

Are you sure the lack of Hopkins didn’t play even a slight role?
    Star Trek is a bit different, because there had been so many different series without William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy at that point…and even then, they still gave Nimoy a considerable role just to lend the whole enterprise (no pun intended) an air of legitimacy.
    Absolutely not true when you adjust for inflation. Adjusted for inflation, I believe that, to this day, the highest-grossing Bond film is either Goldfinger or Thunderball. (The fact that the Roger Moore era coincided with 1970s hyperinflation makes the unadjusted numbers especially worthless.)
    Are there any real examples of that outside of Bond? I guess you could argue for characters like Batman and Superman, but I’d argue that, in those cases, the role is bigger than any one particular actor (and even in the case of Superman, audiences haven’t really enthusiastically embraced any of Christopher Reeve’s successors).

Indiana Jones isn’t Spider-Man. Indiana Jones is inextricably linked with Harrison Ford and has been for 40 years. People haven’t really been given the opportunity to get used to having a new Indy every 10 years or so as happened with Bond. For better or worse, as far as the public’s concerned, Indiana Jones IS Harrison Ford. Audiences already rejected a non-Ford Han Solo. I’m not sure they’d be any more receptive to a non-Ford Indy.

It’s the same reason they keep Arnold Schwarzenegger around as the Terminator, even though he’s clearly too old to be convincing in the role at this point. As far as general audiences are concerned, the Terminator IS Schwarzenegger.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  4. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    One thing that I notice is this. When I watch the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy clothing and equipment feel to me to be like very organic, natural clothing for this character to wear and use. By the time we reach Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the character has become so iconic that now his clothing feel like a costume. The hat, the jacket, the bag, the whip. These now feel like prop for the character to define the character, where in the first film, they feel like natural things Indy would wear in the 1930s

This would now be true of any actors who become a new Indiana Jones. The downside of the character being so well know is that this clothing now define him, but the upside is that this 'costume' could be put on any good actor who, with a good script and story, could instantly be recognise and bring Indiana Jones to life.

Scoffed-Gherkin likes this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

This is awesome my great grandfather Leoluca Randisi was from Corleone Sicily! never thought I would see an Indiana Jones film filmed in my ancestral homeland! My Great Grandfather was a Goat herder my Great Grandmother also from Sicily but another town made great square Sicilian Pizza according to my dad! they immigrated to Dongan Hills Staten Island New York never fully learned the English Language just Broken English! my dad is 100% Southern Italian Sicilian so I'm exactly half Italian! on my Moms side German, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Norwegian my parents did DNA Tests they could trace my moms Irish side to Tipperary Ireland even A Family Crest!

6. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Aw, I can feel your genuine excitement @Leoluca Randisi - that is so good.

Sicily, so this may feel like The Last Crusade with the story being in the US and Europe?

7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Rumor has it Sicily is filling in for Greece!

8. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Greece would be great location. I am ashame to say that I have never been to Sicily but I have been to Greek islands. Are there architectures and ruins and locations that would pass for Greece in Sicily? They are very close I suppose with Ionian Sea separating them.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    the second tweet I posted in my last post has what looks like ancient Sicilian ruins which could pass for Greek!

paradigmes likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Greeks colonized Sicily. Greek ruins in Sicilia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    paradigmes likes this.
  11. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I believe Banderas had mentioned he was going to join the shoot in Italy, right? So I suppose we'll see him soon.

paradigmes likes this.
  12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I remember reading they would shoot greek temples in italy. So yes, i think Indy will visit Greece at some point.

Regarding the mcguffin, we had biblical stuff in middle east, hindu magic, south-american legends/ancient astronauts....i suppose it's the right time to get some greek myhology this time? I strongly suspect this is what we're getting with Indy 5.

Gobi-1 and paradigmes like this.
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Greek philosopher Plato makes multiple references concerning Atlantis in two of his later dialogues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  14. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    There was the Fate of Atlantis game from back in the day, though I've heard mixed things about that.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Filming in Hatton Wall, London Saturday October 24-Sunday October 25 London Doubling for Manhattan New York kind of like Glasgow did!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yay, new set photos!! Cool!

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    there doing night shoots all night Harrison is on set! Last night and tonight!

18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Good news Harrison is back.

19. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
  21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    The other thing there is that Connery was replaced fairly early, relatively speaking. His first movie was in 1962, and the first movie without him after that was in 1969. It was a bit of a rough adjustment, but that's still less than a decade before people had to acclimate to the idea of James Bond being played by different actors.

Whereas for Harrison Ford's characters... Han Solo was introduced to the public in 1977, and the first movie with a different actor was in 2018. That's four decades for fandom to settle into the idea that Ford is Solo, for Ford to go from the guy who plays Han Solo to the only guy who can play Han Solo, for entire generations of diehard nerds (like me!) who weren't even born when the original trilogy was released to grow to adulthood with Harrison-Ford-as-Han-Solo burned into their brains. Toss in the fact that fandom culture is a lot more developed now than it was in the sixties, and... yeah, there's going to be a lot more resistance to the idea of a different actor. (And there will be for Indiana Jones, too).

Yeah, I agree. To this day I absolutely don't know what the hell they were thinking, both releasing it out of order from when those movies go, and absolutely refusing to do any marketing for it. I don't think there was any kind of conspiracy, just terrible planning, but if you were trying to make the movie fail you wouldn't do much different. It's a Star Wars movie for God's sake, the audience is mostly built in, it should be next to impossible not to turn a profit on these. But if most people don't even know it's coming out...

R.D., Sarge and PymParticles like this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Do we know if these London pics are pick up shots with Harrison from the stuff he missed in Glasgow?

Gobi-1 likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    There not pick up shots because there filming at night the Glasgow shoot was day time! Different scene in the movie I suppose.

I agree marketing was a big factor not enough trailers and they waited to long to market the film. Also We got Last Jedi in December then 5 months later we get another Star wars film it was burn out and yeah a lot of people didn't even know it was in theaters when it was opening day/weekend and may be for weeks to a month plus the bad press from Lord and Miller getting fired. Solo A Star Wars Story was a great movie Ron Howard made a really good one it's a shame hardly anyone saw it in the theater. I still want to see a sequel even if just on Disney +

Kuestmaster and AndyLGR like this.
  24. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    I agree completely.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I would also argue that Harrison is probably more associated with Indy than Han Solo. A reboot could work, but I think they would need to wait a while.

Scoffed-Gherkin likes this.