main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Senate Indigenous (Native American) Peoples - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by InterestingLurker, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:47 AM.

Tags:
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hey, folks.

I thought I'd make a general discussion specifically tackling and bringing light to Indigenous issues, which I feel is a bit separate from "race issues" (hence why I did not use the general discussion thread on racial issues that was already on this forum). It seems a bit criminal not to have an all-encompassing discussion on Native Americans, though we could also include other indigenous groups in North America and elsewhere. Anyways, if the mods allow it, use this thread to discuss all things Native American. And maybe if people want it, we could discuss other Indigenous groups elsewhere, not just in North America, though I assume that we have even less of an ability and knowledge to discuss "outside" Indigenous groups.

This is mostly a Western forum, for better or for worse, in that we're mostly North American or European (and yes, I'm aware that there are people from outside the "Anglosphere" but we are essentially a forum of English-speakers). So given that the primary language of this forum is English (Anglosphere countries like USA, Canada, Britain, Australia, etc.) with a good chunk of English-speakers from the European mainland, I thought I'd limit it to that context... for now (due to the fact that speaking about Indigenous groups in Africa, Asia, and Latin America may be beyond us).

BUT

If anyone wants to go ahead and "break the ice" by talking about Indigenous groups outside the West, go ahead. I'm sorta just saying what I wanted this thread to start as, well, for now, anyways.

Also: I felt that one thread about Christopher Columbus just didn't suffice. It may deserve its own discussion, but Native American issues are bigger than Columbus.

So anyways:

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd show this article to drive some initial discussion:

How land acknowledgments for indigenous people sanitize history

Posted in the Christopher Columbus thread, but I realized that it deserved to be here rather than there.

study3600 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Five Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Retagged Senate.

I’ll come back later with some other thoughts.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Native Americentrism +1

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is Standing Bear taught in school these days, I wonder? He wasn't when I was in school. He should be. It was his court case that, in 1879, more than a hundred years after the Founding Fathers boldly declared that "all men are created equal," established that Native Americans were human beings.

5. study3600

study3600 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    The Pine Ridge Reign of Terror, Leanoard Peltiers innocence though imprisoned, more recent atrocities.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2014
    It goes without saying that Australia's record in the matter of indigenous peoples is probably even worse.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    What were you going to say?

Anyways:

Over 530 Arrested in Historic Indigenous-Led Climate Protests in DC

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Five Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We open our union meetings with land acknowledgments; I had not considered the idea that it sanitizes history but that’s a fair point.

I do think it’s important that American school children learn the indigenous history of the area where they live—the actual indigenous history, the fact that indigenous people had their own robust civilization and commerce, including extensive highways for transport, before European colonists arrived.

solojones, Master_Lok and Runjedirun like this.
  9. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I know literally nothing about Indigenous history here in VA. In Oklahoma I saw license plates for Creek and Cherokee tribes. Tulsa is tribal land now and one of our Lyft drivers was Creek he explained that with his new Tribal ID he can travel to Mexico and Canada without a passport. I wanted to ask so many questions, but I didn't want to sound as ignorant as I am and I don't know...I'm shy!

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview & Teh Mole Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    He is not. At least when I was there. No Native American was really

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It does always sorta surprise me that other places don't have better education on this; the local tribes were taught about in elementary school enough that I retained it more distinctly than many things from elementary school

12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Force Ghost star 4

Oct 13, 2000
    Speaking of land acknowledgements...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8268526/...-stop-making-indigenous-land-acknowledgments/

In short, the NB government was fine making land acknowledgements about unceded and unsurrendered land when it was only theatre, and now that the people who didn't cede or surrender their land actually want their rights to their unceded and unsurrendered land meaningfully and legally acknowledged the land acknowledgements must stop.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    A good starting point would be The Teaching Company. They produce university level on-going learning content, and they have a number of courses on the history and archaeology of the indigenous cultures of the Americas. They head hunt the best researchers and lectures and build their content around them. I’ve been taking courses with The Teaching Company since 2014 and all of their content is consistently excellent.

Ancient Civilizations of North America
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/ancient-civilizations-of-north-america

Maya to Aztec: Ancient Mezoamerica Revealed
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/maya-to-aztec-ancient-mesoamerica-revealed

Lost Worlds of South America
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/lost-worlds-of-south-america

Conquest of the Americas
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/conquest-of-the-americas

Native Peoples of North America
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/native-peoples-of-north-america

I
    ’ve recently started blogging my way through some of the courses that I’ve taken.

The Museum of Everything
    https://tlongportfolio.wordpress.com/category/the-museum-of-everything/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 7:10 PM
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't learn of the medieval city of Cahoica until I was in college. And that's in my state. Although I did learn about Incas, Aztecs, and Maya pretty well since I took IB history of the Americas.

Still I learned more from Five Iron Frenzy songs than I did from history class as far as Native American history teaching is concerned.