main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Indigenous (Native American) Peoples - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by InterestingLurker, Oct 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Love And Blood Quantum : Code Switch : NPR

"If you're Native American, there's a good chance that you've thought a lot about blood quantum — a highly controversial measurement of the amount of "Indian blood" you have. It can affect your identity, your relationships and whether or not you — or your children — may become a citizen of your tribe.

Today on the show, we're revisiting one of our favorite stories from 2018, when reporter Kat Chow spoke to two families grappling with where to live, how to identify, and how those identities might get passed down to their children."

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    the third bullet seems to be about appropriate uses of the Haka Ke Mate. If so, not surprising as it seems to have become popular and ripe for cultural appropriation.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Nobody need ever witness a Kiwi white boy doing the Haka in an English bar, peacocking ladies.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Y'all should subscribe to this channel.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's tricky because it seems most Maori love the haka being used for the All Blacks (the national rugby team). But maybe that's just the voices I've heard? I dunno.

8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    From what I understand, the FTA provision is about looking into ways to have the rights Ngāti Toa has over Ka Mate in New Zealand recognised in the UK as well. An agreement is already in place with the New Zealand Rugby Union over its use.

Here's an explanation of the Haka Ka Mate Attribution Act 2014, and a 2019 article arguing for more protections overseas that I found informative.

And the origin of Ka Mate.

(Frankly I know very little about this issue as well, and am unsure now if it was worth me posting about originally, but I have learnt marginally more than I knew previously.)

Lordban and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Huh so yeah the All Blacks and the Maori have an agreement of mutual respect. Very interesting.

I hate to kinda tread into these waters, but I know the Kansas City Chiefs have tried to do a similar thing with their ceremonial drum. Before the game last week, as is done every November, the drum was blessed by Native American singers from the Omaha tribe with a chant and drumming. A member of the Kickapoo tribe locally also gave a verbal blessing.

So I know they're trying to do something like the Seminoles have done. The difficulty is the term Chief and the notion of war drums are not singular to a specific tribe. So having a couple tribes' blessing doesn't stop others from being offended. It's tricky to me.

Personally I don't do the Tomahawk chop anymore. But I don't really have a problem with the name or with Native Americans who want to give their blessing to the field or drum.. that's sorta their business. But as a totally white person, it's also my business not to immitate them in a way that could be perceived as mocking.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think that, as a general rule, it's not a good idea to appropriate-- for a billion-dollar business, no less-- the culture of a people one's own culture exterminated and continues to persecute. There's no getting around the genocide and land theft thing.

harpua and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

So should the All Blacks stop doing the haka?

Edit: I mean this genuinely as a question.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno. I am not as familiar with Maori history. Maybe the current dynamic is different in NZ, though I'm skeptical. Anything in the US absolutely should stop. Perhaps the issue can be revisited when the condition of indigenous people isn't so dire.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm personally for the team being rethemed to Fire Chiefs personally. The colors can even stay. If a name change comes, our mascot is KC Wolf so I'm for the KC Wolves.

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I believe it is solely up to the Maori people to decide whether the use of the Haka by the All Blacks team is appropriate or not. No one else (especially not people who don't even live in NZ) should get a say in whether it's appropriate or not.

Lordban, VexedAtVohai and mnjedi like this.
  15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I don’t think they should be able to do it at all. Why should one team have to stand still and get cold, while the other team essentially gets to limber up.

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Well I'm Anishinaabeg from the North (Michigan) and I know a little bit of history. There is two Anishinaabeg Tribes in Oklahoma that I know of. One is the Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma and the other is the Citizen Pottawatomie Tribe. Now the reason that those Tribes are there is due to the Indian removal act. I'm still not 100% up to speed on that as I should be, all I know is what my Grandparents had told me. Suffice it to say, it was the pits. Some of my Grandpa's Aunts and Uncles got forcibly removed from their original homeland in Michigan to Wisconsin.

But other's got removed to Kansas and Oklahoma. And just like my cousins in Canada who had Residential Schools, we had Boarding Schools. Pretty much same damn thing just with a different name. Those Schools were harsh to say the least. I don't know if my Grandpa got forced to go to one, but I do know that my Grandmother was sent to one in Harbor Springs, Michigan called Holy Childhood and that one is quite infamous and information can be found on the Internet. My Grandma was a Genealogist before computers so she knew an awful lot, but she never talked about her School days when she was younger. After researching Holy Childhood, I understand why.

Ironically enough the place that I currently live (Mount Pleasant, Michigan) also had 2 Boarding Schools. They were called The Mount Pleasant Industrial Schools. They closed in 1938 and from what I gather most of the younger students who didn't Graduate got transferred to Harbor Springs. My Grandmother's parents went to the Industrial Schools.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Put simply yes.

18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The whole Native American mascot situation is strangely enough pretty divided even in Indian Country.

Speaking of Mount Pleasant, the University here Central Michigan are known as the Chippewas, they don't have a mascot as they do for Florida State. The Tribe here in Mount Pleasant, The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe doesn't have an issue with them using the name of Chippewas as far as I know?

19. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Why?

20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Native Writers Power Rutherford Falls, Reservation Dogs : Consider This from NPR : NPR

DarthTunick and Rew like this.
  23. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Ngāti Toa tells anti-vaccination protesters to stop using its haka
    tupuna - ancestor/s
    iwi - tribe
    taonga - possessions, treasured possessions
    whānau - family, extended family
    rohe - region
    ---

Just to be clear, this was just me asking for elaboration, not necessarily saying I disagree.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We've had this exact debate on the forums before, some years ago. Not about this one aspect of it, but as an overall practice.

I agree that it's primarily up to the cultural inheritors of a practice to dictate how it is or is not perpetuated or changed. But I guess I'd make a couple points. Firstly, there's a difference between an official body or communal organization offering assent for its outside adaptation--especially as some kind of for-profit marketing venture--and everyone affected actually being comfortable with it. I think as outsiders, the choice of whether to imitate should be guided by the later, not the former. In other words, a few people telling you know is potentially more important than finding one person to tell you yes.

Secondly, I think we have to recognize that even when done "respectfully" we're very much changing context and meaning. The primary display in a sports game is about dominance and aggression. While it's true that the original meaning also encompassed some of these points, they were not limited to them. There was more nuance and expression of other values in that society, but are lost when it just becomes "big strong sportsman dance." Third, I think you have to consider the second-order impacts. Even one group handles something respectfully, it might create a zone of permissiveness wherein many others do not, and there is net harm.

I appreciate these are complex questions. Based on the experiences I am most familiar with, which are both my personal ones as a minority in the US, and what I have learned of the First Nations experience in the US, I would be most comfortable stopping this, as I said years ago.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Native Americans without clean drinking water get help from infrastructure bill : NPR