main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. TofuJedi

TofuJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2020
    I know they say they are never going to do it, but I hope post-Indy 5 they recast the title character and make it like the Bond series. Get a new actor every four films or so.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    No. No. This is wrong. This is wishful thinking . . . even on Ford's part.

3. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I didn't particularly dislike Mutt's character myself but I wasn't betting on Shia coming back anyway--if for his own comments re Indy 4.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I recall that his negative comments on Indy 4 earned Spielberg's ire, and this is when Shia kinda disappeared shortly after Transformers 3. Which ironically sad considering that Spielberg was pretty much the reason why Shia became a rising star in the late 2000s (heck, it's the reason why he got the role as Indy's son, rather than going with Lucas' idea of Indy having a daughter).

christophero30 likes this.
  5. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Can I renew my hope that this will be a split timeline movie, with old Indy completing a quest that he began as a younger Indy in the 1930s? And that moving forward we follow the (newly cast) young Indy in the 30S?

Sarge likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, they're going to use CGI to make Harrison Ford look very young.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And he'll look at least as good as the dog in The Call of the Wild.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  8. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I don't see how that will work. Are they going to make him move like a younger person too? And what does that mean for the future of the character?

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They should replace him with Alden Ehrenreich.

10. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    A split timeline story is a good idea. I'd be down with that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Miles Lodson likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's really sad, (if that does happen), cos there's all these actors now that fans have loved in the past that are now being more or less blacklisted from Hollywood due to their behaviors...whether it be personal life-related, or attacks/speaking out against studios and directors, etc. It's really messing things up for potential continuity across franchises...

That said, I suppose I wouldn't mind a set of prequel Indy films, with Alden Erenreich once again playing him-I thought he did a very convincing job in Solo! Although I ultimately would prefer they simply lay the Indiana Jones franchise to rest. Leave us with the classics we have to cherish and enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Couldn't they recast Shia with another actor to play Mutt? Who would really be hurt by that?

Reepicheep775 and Sarge like this.
  13. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    Hopefully not. Didn't like Alden Ehrenreich in Solo ...

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I thought he was okay as Solo but a hard pass on him as Indy.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Was meant as a sarcastic joke

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    My faith in you has been restored.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Is short round returning or what?

christophero30 likes this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its going to be interesting to see what they do with the sidekicks in this one. I hope Mutt is nowhere near it. Personally I'd love for there to be no one we know with Indy, no past friends or family, I'd prefer a standalone adventure like the first 2 without the baggage of past characters. But in the back of my mind, seeing as this will probably be the last one, I can't help but think they'll trot out some old characters like a greatest hits and maybe even tie the in the film full circle with Raiders and the macguffin of the Ark.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  19. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    IIRC, Ford was in The Age of Adalind and there was a flashback where an actor played a younger version of Ford's character. There's a possibility.

20. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Indycast were reporting rumours of the filming in England, Mata, Italy and India. Hope its true, KOTCS looked terrible with a lot of studio bound stuff that was unconvincing.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    KOTCS had plenty of on-location shooting. I really don't know where this impression comes from that it was "all CGI" or shot more in studio than usual, because that couldn't be further from the truth.

- Raiders had a handful of days in La Rochelle, one week on Hawaii (partially post principal photography and with just a handful of crew), and about three weeks in Tunisia. The majority of work was done in studio in England.
    - Temple of Doom had two weeks in Sri Lanka, everything else was done in studio, apart from a minor outdoor sequence by ILM shot without the stars.
    - Last Crusade had two weeks or so in Spain, one day in Venice, two days in Jordan, a handful of (mostly second-unit) days filming the opening chase, plus later on one day filming the motorcycle-chase. Everything else was done in studio.
    - Crystal Skull started off with a bit more than a week in New Mexico, followed by not quite a week on location in Connecticut. This was followed up by a week on Hawaii, so the opening three weeks were on location. Much of the rest was done in studio, with the majority of things being real sets, not cgi. The movie was as "real" as it realistically could have been.

Add in the number of days for principal photography (73 , ~80 or so due to delays , 63, 66), and it becomes quite clear tha KOTCS was one of the less studio-based movies of the franchise.

Apart from that, "shooting somewhere" doesn't imply that the places play any significant role in the movie, or that they make use of exterior locations. England might very well just refer to the studio, because the majority of them were shot there. And as can be seen with Venice, one day is enough to be considered as having shot the movie there, so mentioning a place doesn't somehow mean a lot of work will get done there.

22. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    England is Pinewood studios. I wasn't specifically talking about CGI. Theres nothing wrong with the exterior work around the college, but the point still stands that IMO theres something about Crystal Skull that doesn't look right in comparison to the rest of the films, especially the last half. Whether that's down to the sets or the lighting or the effects I don't know.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  23. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I think it has to do with technology advancing since 1989 idk

24. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I think that it is the look of the movie in many of it's locations. It just looks "off" and as if filmed inside a studio. The first scene where it is obvious is outside the hangar at the start, the lighting looks really fake. Then the other locations such as the graveyard, the jungle etc. There is a definite lack of authenticity that was far more prevalent in the first three. I get that technology evolves and studios will look to recreate environments in the most cost effective way that they realistically can, but the sheen of CGI backdrops is much more noticeable in Skull.

AndyLGR likes this.
  25. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    You're mostly right, but there are a few bits that you are forgetting (the work in England did sometimes involve location shooting, for example).

5 days in La Rochelle, 20 days in Tunisia, 4 days in Hawaii (plus another 4 by the second unit), 2 days in the Royal Masonic School in England (Indy's college) and 42 days of studio shooting (plus pickups)

13 days in Sri Lanka and 67 days of studio shooting (plus pickups). But don't forget the second unit work in both Macao (Shanghai chase) and California (mountain and river).

16 days in Spain, 1 day in Venice, 2 days in Jordan, 1 day in Westminster (Berlin airport), 2 days in Blenheim Palace (Berlin), 1 day in the Royal Masonic School (college), 1 day at the Tillbury Docks (Venice), 39 days of studio shooting. and about 15 days of US shoot in Colorado, Utah and LA stages. (plus pickups)

KyleKartan likes this.