main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    You know what, David? YOU'RE embarrassingly dumb! [face_phbbbbt] I should've mailed my reply to the Marx Brothers...

Darkslayer and DavidSword79 like this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Can I get some Short Round this time???

CaptainRegor and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Sallah, Short Round and Mutt walk into a bar...

I..I don't have a punch line or anything. Was hoping maybe someone else would step in.

CaptainRegor and Darkslayer like this.
  4. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Before you condemn me, let me quantify what I meant by "fun but dumb"!

Indiana Jones And The Monkey King (aka Indiana Jones And The Garden Of Life)
    This particular adventure would have kicked off in Scotland in 1937, with Indy investigating ghostly murders. But it would be a conversation with Marcus Brody that really set things in motion, as he points Indy towards Africa, to meet with a zoologist called Clare Clarke. In turn, she happens to have discovered a 200-year old pygmy by the name of Tyki. Tyki would go on to give Indy a scroll with the directions to a lost city on. Naturally enough, Nazis block the way to said lost city. The plan for the lost city was for it to contain the Fountain of Youth.​
    Indy actually gets killed in this one, only to be brought back to life by Tyki in what's called the garden of immortal peaches (and if you're not pure of heart and eat a peach, then death awaits). Also, in one draft, Indy is forced by the Monkey King, who had migrated into a villain by that point, to play chess with real people as the pieces.​
    One nice addition to this, that ties back into Indy's teaching, is that the plan was to have one of his students stow away with him on the trip. That was one of the ingredients that never found its way into a future Indy movie, however.​
    This one did get to the point of location scouting, but eventually, Lucas and Spielberg would shelve the idea, feeling that the script was a little too far-fetched, and in danger of racially stereotyping some of its characters. Stung in particular by such accusations against Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, this was something that Spielberg and Lucas were both particularly sensitive to.​

1. Ghostly murders in the first act seem to have no link to the other events in the movie.
    2. Brody sends Indy to Africa where Dr. Clarke points him to a pygmy -- :oops:-- who gives him a scroll to the lost city to which the Nazis are blocking the road and which contains the Fountain of Youth. Why so many sign posts and direction pointers? So far this is playing like a Larry Blamire movie.
    3. Peaches of Immortality. 'Nuff said!
    4. Lucas and Spielberg both felt the script was "a little too far-fetched". This from the guys who gave a troupe of monkeys a 50s greaser haircut and made a real greaser their king. Come ooooooooooon.

;)

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    To be fair, nearly all the intro-adventures in these movies bear little to no connection to the main plot-lines.
    Damn straight: amazing. From the Cup of Christ to novelty vodka bottles to...fresh produce.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  6. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Darkslayer likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Disney castle shifts into... the actual castle at Disneyland. Henry "Indiana" Jones is there with his young grandchildren. A bored, wistful look adorns his face. He takes them home, and we become acclimated to his current life. His son Mutt died in Vietnam, and his wife Marion died illness shortly after. Indy passes his days helping his daughter-in-law raise her two children. At night, Grandpa Henry tells the kids stories about an adventurer named Indiana, who went to amazing places, met amazing people, and saw and did amazing things. To them, the fantastical stories are just that; stories. To Jones, they were so long ago they might as well be.

From this point I see him confronted by a group of men who might be government, might be mercenaries, that want him to accompany them on an expedition because they need his skills and unique experience for what they might encounter. But, they're unwilling to tell him where they're going or what they need specifically need him for. He initially refuses, on the grounds that he needs to stay and help his family, he doesn't do that kind of thing anymore, and the whole cloak and dagger thing is rubbing him the wrong way. One of the men starts to take a threatening tone, but he's cut off by another who reminds Indy of himself at a younger age, who tells him that the compensation he'll receive will be enough to help support his daughter-in-law and grandchildren for years, years Indy might soon no longer be around for. At this, despite every instinct screaming that this whole situation stinks, that something's so clearly not right, Indy agrees to do it.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't be completely disappointed if the opening ten minutes or so were like this.

Darkslayer, Ingram_I, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Dude, I would so be down for that!

Reading the ideas in this thread alone is getting me more and more excited about this. Perhaps I jumped the gun yesterday and I just needed to allow the news to sink in.

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm the kind of person who's hopelessly optimistic to the point of naiveté about stuff like this, until I have concrete reason not to be. I mean, I'm cynical enough about the world because in fairness it kind of sucks, but why extend that cynicism to the stuff I like? Even if the movie is the worst thing ever made, ever... so what? I'll get over it in a handful of days, and nothing is going to stop me from watching the original three films, or showing them to my future kids. The disappointment of a bad film is temporary, but the joy of a good film lasts a lifetime.

HanSolo29 and DavidSword79 like this.
  10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Here's an article from back in 2013 when Disney and Paramount came to an agreement of distribution rights over Indiana Jones

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/disney-acquires-indiana-jones-rights-from-paramount-1200927216/

Disney Takes Over Rights to ‘Indiana Jones’ Franchise

December 6, 2013 | 02:28PM PT
    Paramount keeps distribution rights to previous four films

The Walt Disney Studios and Paramount Pictures have reached a distribution and marketing agreement for the Indiana Jones franchise.

Under the arrangement, Disney gains distribution and marketing rights to future films, in addition to retaining the ownership rights it secured when it acquired Lucasfilm.
    Paramount will continue to be responsible for distribution of the first four films in the franchise and will receive a financial participation on any future films that are produced and released.

Disney also had to buy the rights from Paramount to market and release “The Avengers” and “Iron Man 3,” which earned Paramount a considerable sum in return.

Disney has not officially announced that a fifth “Indiana Jones” film is in the works.
    While promoting his Relativity film “Paranoia” in August, Harrison Ford expressed interest at another crack at the whip but, as of right now, no writers have been hired to write a script.
    Sources say that Steven Spielberg, who directed the previous films, would still be interested in helming future pics but, like with the other installments, a story would first need to be hashed out before Spielberg would ever commit. Insiders also added that while George Lucas has sold his stake in Lucasfilm to Disney, he still may have a part in developing the story like he and Spielberg had done in the past.

That said, Disney will likely move quickly to get a film in motion, given Disney’s desire to monetize its $4 billion acquisition of Lucasfilm.
    The last installment, “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” grossed $783 million worldwide. The entire franchise has earned $1.9 billion.

If the deal is like the deal Disney did for The Avengers and Iron Man 3 the Paramount Logo will remain.

11. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the reason the Paramount logo remained on those films is because they were already in development when the Disney acquisition of Marvel happened?

12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, pretty much. I think Disney actually ended up distributing those two films, and the Paramount logos were kept on them more or less as a consolation for Disney taking Paramount's toys. It was free marketing, essentially, and gave them association with two hugely successful movies. I don't necessarily think we'd see the same thing happen here.

SuperSecretMuffin likes this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That doesn't match any of the prior interviews he made. Regardless of what material you look at, you find countless pieces in which Spielberg mentioned his interest in doing another one. Ford, Lucas and Spielberg all went to the other two at various times during the 90s and 00s to get them to do another one. They never really found a story and script they all liked at the same time throughout all these years though.

14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The Alien is back. It is fed up with all that treasure it hoarded (that was also mostly destroyed) and instead wants one last adventure.

You see the Alien wants to find Indiana Jones, it got close last time but this time he wants to actually meet his hero. He orchestrated the whole thing just so he could meet him.

He meets him but Indiana is so happy to meet him, he gives him all his gear and like a fanboy he walks off dressed with the Fedora on his head and whip in hand.
    Out of the bushes comes Short Round.

The end.

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Yes I believe so. They paid a lot to license the film from Marvel Studios. I was just looking and Disney later went and purchased the marketing and distribution rights for The Avengers, Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Those films are now fully under Disney/Marvel Studio's control.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-four-marvel-movies-from-viacom-s-paramount

Unlike the Marvel movies Paramount will continue to control the marketing and distribution of the original four Indy films while receiving a piece of the new film(s), because of that I see no reason why the Paramount logo will not continue as a part of the series going forward. Disney/Lucasfilm will be making the film but Paramount will be paid because of the work they have done with the previous films in the past and their continual marketing and distribution of them. It's probably cheaper too then having to buy the distribution and marketing rights from Paramount for Indy 1 - 4. Since Indiana Jones is one of Paramount's crown jewels they wouldn't let it go for cheap. Also in the long term Paramount will make more off future Indy films and DVD/Streaming/TV sales from the original films then giving up everything for a one time only lump sum.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

you are correct Paramount Logo will not be at the beginning of Indy 5

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it's time to revisit the movies again with this news!

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I just watched them again in January with my roommate, but I think I'm going to do the same at the earliest available opportunity.

Not sure when that'll be. I have St. Patrick's Day debauchery tomorrow and Daredevil to binge watch this weekend.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Y
    I wouldn't be so certain yet. According to this article:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/disney-acquires-indiana-jones-rights-from-paramount-1200927216/

Paramount will still be involved by benefitting financially, so their logo may yet appear.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm not expecting it to be there, but if it is, I'll be pleased as punch. I loved the transitions in the first three films; the prairie dog hill, not so much. Yeah it was cute and maybe even clever, but I think it started the film on the wrong foot right off the bat. It lacks the sort of culture or grandiosity that the first three opened with.

But I suggested they have the Disney castle logo transition into the actual castle at Disneyland with Indy there with his grandkids so what the hell do I know.

AndyLGR likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hoping this takes place in the 60s, and yeah, bring back Marion, she was the only decent co-lead.

22. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    It bemuses me when people point the finger at the characters of Mutt and Marion in KOTCS as the weak points. Far weaker characters were those of Mac and Oxley. I have zero issues with Mutt - I don't see where the problem lies with him, it wasn't the character's (or the actor's) fault he was put in an over-the-top CGI vine swinging sequence - the Director has to hold his hands up to that.

As for Marion, I would have preferred a little less focus on humorous interaction with Indy, in favour of more serious exchanges, but I would welcome back both Marion and Mutt in Indy 5, no problem at all. In fact, I agree that KoTCS kinda obliges them to be in it, unless they get killed off off-screen, which would be kinda lame. I think if Disney want the franchise to continue, they need to back Mutt and do what they can to get Shia to be reliable enough to carry it forward. I wouldn't be particularly keen for them to continue with Indy beyond Ford's time, but if they do, Mutt is the only conceivable character to go with, unless they do a Short Round spin-off series, which seems pretty far-fetched at this stage, especially as he only features in one Indy film.

Unless, in making Indy 5, they come up with enough material to turn around another Indy film shortly after, I struggle to see there'll ever be an Indy 6 (other than the ugly potential for Indy himself to be re-cast with a younger guy), and seeing what happened to Han in The Force Awakens, I wonder whether I am going to have to prepare myself for the death of another beloved hero. Given the supernatural theme that runs through the 4 Indy films, I hope Indy 5 maintains that, and so perhaps Indy can disappear in some supernatural fashion, rather than just snuff it. In some ways though, if they were going to do that, KoTCS was the film to do it in as he could have had to have gone off with the aliens in order to save Marion/Mutt.

Really intrigued to see what story they come up with.

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

PymParticles likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I believe Disney has more of a Share of Indiana Jones then they do with Marvel, My thinking Is there will Either be a Disney Castle at the beginning, or just a Lucasfilms Logo Like TFA Hey I could be wrong. I actually really love Disney They are a great Organization, And I hope There Is no Paramount Logo. It will be really interesting and fun to see how Disney opens there new Indy Film If that Is the case?

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Totally agree on Mac and ox. But I didn't mention them (in this thread at least) because there is no chance of them appearing in Indy 5. If a film maker is obliged to include certain characters then they are hamstringing themselves. Marion and mutt do not need to be in it, they don't need to die on screen either. It could be explained in more than 1 way. Indy and Marion separated, mutt is estranged from Indy. Indy is away in another country on college business and gets caught in an adventure. Whatever they want. How the whole relationship was handled was almost slapstick and once they all got together it went downhill fast. Marion and Indy may have been winking at the audience as they spouted cheesy line after line, came out with terrible flat gag after gag, or looked on knowingly as mutt took centre stage instead of Indy. It just didn't work for me and yes that's down to bad writing and a not very good story.

I'm with though in one respect though, if they brought back old characters then I'd like to see them interact in a way that we saw in Raiders, less slapstick and more relationship / character building.