main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Excitement leads to heightened expectations, heightened expectations lead to the possibility of let downs, the possibility of let downs leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate.. to suffering.

The circle of life continues. :p

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    If you don't like the idea of an Indy 5 or a Ghostbusters 3, don't watch the films. Re: an Indy 5, without knowing anything about the film I have a feeling I'll like it more than LC - which I felt was sub-par.

Re: Ghostbusters 3, I have a strong feeling I'll like it more than Ghostbusters 2 - which was crap.

I personally like re-boots/re-imaginings of older franchises, as well as sequels/prequels/etc. - but that's me.

PymParticles likes this.
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There's a ghostbusters thread in the community section of the forum as well.

4. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    The Ghostbusters reboot is a mockery it I going to destroy the original

It shouldn't be made because Ghostbusters is iconic it'd be likerebooting star wars

5. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Who's not going to watch a new Indy movie? Bring it on.

(just no prairie dogs please).

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    From what I've heard, Lucas had the idea of Indy having a daughter instead, but Spielberg wanted it to be a son. Honestly, I feel like the daughter angle would have probably been more interesting.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  7. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I am soooo excited for Indy 5!!! I really hope they can knock out a 6th one to round out the saga as well.

But for it to work, they need to dump excess baggage and focus on Indy himself. No need to keep bringing sidekicks and focus on his relationships with "other people" or family. Go back to what made Raiders worked and bring some fun and action that TOD had. I want a fun, pulpy, serielistic adventure ride with Indy solving actual archeological puzzles like he did in Raiders and a bit like he did in LC. And bring some better physical action and stunts. I can let my imagination take over and let a stuntman do the heavy stuff.

And please I hope Kaminski is gone. Bring a better cinematographer. His work was horrible on Indy 4.

Do you think Williams will score this? I sure hope so.

AndyLGR likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    "Oh for the love of God, shut the hell up!"

[​IMG]

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Folks, don't facilitate the derail attempt.

Gobi-1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    So David Koepp has been tapped to pen Indy 5.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/indiana-jones-5-enlists-crystal-876684

Pros: He wrote the screenplay for Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds (which I feel is one of Spielberg's more underrated films).
    Cons: He wrote Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Counterpoint: Much of what was wrong with KotCS was at the basic conceptual level and inherent to the actual story at play and some of the creative decisions, and are not necessarily the fault of the script itself, the job of which in this case would have been pacing and dialogue, both of which I felt were fine.

As long as the actual story itself is one worth telling, and as long as the creative decisions being made by Spielberg and presumably Kennedy are sound, then I think the script should be fine. I'm also presuming that he's already been at work on the script for some time now, much as Michael Arndt had (so far as I'm aware) started work on Episode VII before the film or his involvement with it were announced.

11. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Agreed. Even if they were to pull a "they died/split up offscreen", I may be willing to overlook it if the film was good.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    KOTCS may not be my favorite Indiana Jones movie but I still liked it. No matter how good or bad Indy 5 turns out to be I'm sure it'll be worth watching at least once.

13. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I can roll with this. I was actually hoping that Spielberg would reteam with the Coen Brothers to write the script after they made such a great pairing with Bridge of Spies, but this works.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is just a first draft and another writer will eventually be hired to polish it up. Wonder if Lawrence Kasdan or Frank Darabont would be up for it?

14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd love if Kasdan did a draft or even a polish. He did young Han (that script was written before he was tapped for TFA), then returned to old Han, so it would be nice if he could have one list ride with Indy as well.

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I would also like to see Kasdan come full circle with Indy and write and or polish the next film. I believe he did some unaccredited dialog work on KotCS.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't at least ask Kasdan if he's even remotely interested in working on this project, given his rejuvenated relationship with Lucasfilm and Disney. I'll be honest, I am rather disappointed they went with David Koepp, but I'll maintain my optimism for this. I'm just happy Ford is back, and Spielberg, too.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Assuming he's able, I couldn't imagine him not doing so. He's still working closely with Spielberg to this day

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    As long as he's able/willing, it's a surefire thing. I do hope that it turns out better than the last Indy score though if the film itself is good I'm sure that won't be a problem.

19. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    I laughed out loud when I read that headline.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Kasdan himself said that he is only interested in making his own films again, no more scripts for other directors, with the Han Solo spin-off being the last work.

According to the making-of book from Rinzler, the original idea was a 13 year old daughter, but Spielberg didn't want such a character because it was too similar to a character from The Lost World. It was Koepp who turned the character into a son instead, and Lucas who suggested that he should be like he ended up in the movie, instead of a nerd, which was the first plan.

21. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    So which artifact/macguffin do you think should be the focus of the film ?

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    PymParticles I think KOTCS is a pro :)

It's nowhere near Raiders and Crusade for me, but it's still a good movie and far better than Doom. Just IMO

24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'll agree to disagree on KotCS (on the whole, I feel the actual script in terms of dialogue and pacing is more or less fine), but man, Temple of Doom is one of the most weirdly polarizing blockbuster films ever made. If you love or hate it or think it's awful or great, it's one of the few films we're I'd be able to fault someone either way.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    TOD is certainly an odd one. While Raiders is no doubt the better film, TOD is the one that I'm always drawn to. When I'm looking to watch one of the Indy films, that is the first one I grab.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.