main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Is there any good Irish folklore for Indy to dive into? Maybe he could find the Blarney Stone.

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Is there?
    Uhm All civilisations have folklore, legends and myths. Whether they are interesting is up to you, it's subjective.

I did have an interesting idea, do an "Outlander" story with Stone Circles. He goes into one and we get then flashbacks with a young indy to stories we haven't seen.

3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay, but how is that a contradiction? The two go hand-in-hand as Spalko's obsession for ultimate psychic knowledge granting her the means of mind control.
    Indy was there to help Mutt rescue his mother and Oxley, and to discover the origins of the skull. The eventual motive of its "return" was furthermore a psychic calling, essential to the aliens retaining their hive-mind form. That's why Indy (and Ox) felt compelled, along with Spalko desiring the same for her own aforesaid reasons. Indy helps the Russians inasmuch as he's forced to but also because he and Spalko share a common fascination in solving the skull's mystery.
    It's certainly a jauntier affair in that respect, no doubt, though I'm not sure how much more so than Last Crusade for similar factors. However, I don't recall any genuine mystery invested in Marion as Mutt's mother. It was merely a tag-in plot point that in part got the narrative underway. It's not as if the movie spends an inordinate amount of time (or any time at all, really) with Indy trying to figure that one out.
    It didn't have to be, no, but for reasons mentioned in my previous post, anything else would've been a sorely missed opportunity.
    How so? As a backdrop, it entirely informs what the villains are after and why throughout the second half. It's not as if the movie -- an Indiana Jones movie, no less -- was going to wade any deeper into the sociopolitical climate of the era, anymore than Raiders or Last Crusade did with the Third Reich and other historical prologues to WWII. They're all just backdrops meant to provide thematic context and motifs. The only arguable plot-point from the first act that was dropped was Indy under suspicion by the FBI. Except, I never saw it as a plot-point at all, but merely a story aspect meant to establish an older Indy's place in a 1950s time frame; specifically with him being out of placean anachronism who's no longer treasure hunting for Uncle Sam amidst the simpler prewar 1930s. At most, it can be reasonably assumed that he gets his teaching job back after proving his loyalties in thwarting Spalko and her cronies; fundamentally, no bigger a plot-hole than how he and Marion escape a Nazi island stronghold, to the safety of Washington D.C., and with the 200lbs Ark in their possession.
    Eh, to each his own. The franchise had since aged 20 years, along with its star and principle filmmakers. I for one thought the transition was rather organic, not to mention clever and inventive.
    I just don't think its realistic that long-time executive producing collaborator Kathleen Kennedy would all the sudden dictate Spielberg's creative authority simply because the franchise has switched umbrella studios. But then it's certainly feasible that Spielberg himself will proceed to some degree simpatico with a kind of sensibility of which you speak. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

darskpine10 and oierem like this.
  4. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    What's the time frame for this new film to take place in? Not the 1960's. Perhaps a year after KOTCS in 1958 where Marion has died and Indiana Jones is left grieving.

The Russians wanted to use the crystal skulls for its unlimited knowledge collected within it. It also could be used as a mind weapon because of its psychic powers to spy on the United States, take control of the thoughts of leaders, make Manchurian candidates, and more. It was a brilliant idea.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm actually hoping for the 1960s with a very much alive Marion.

I agree about the crystal skulls; I'm old enough to remember the Cold War though, and it makes sense in that context.

Defensor likes this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Late 1960s with a Vietnam War backdrop would be perfect. Maybe Mutt's off serving, or was killed in the War (since I seriously doubt Shia is going to want to come back even if he's asked). That can really get to Indy's head, give him a bit of a different mindset this time around. Something a bit more jaded (note that by "jaded" I'm not looking for "DARK AND GRITTY" because that's not Indiana Jones at all).

GunganSlayer likes this.
  7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    True but we don't learn this until well over an hour into the movie. The stakes of the other films are laid out far sooner. It's actually one of the strongest scenes in the film if not the strongest. I would have liked to seen more of that. Like actually start having Spalko mind controlling people in the film. Her soldiers, the Ugha warriors, even Mutt and Marion. It would dramatically raise the stakes in the second half of the film. Have Indy be the only one able to resist as the skull wants Indy to take it back to Akator.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Funnily enough KOTCS was on tv last night here in the UK. From the decontamination scene through to the diner fight is clunky exposition, really bad, it doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing. As a whole I find it hard to watch. Possibly my biggest let down at the cinema in terms of the franchises I really like. However that hasn't diminished my excitement for 5......

9. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    We haven't had a macguffin deal with resurrection yet or be an impenetrable weapon. Perhaps there are some Nazi survivors still out there aiming to resurrect Hitler, Stalin, or Lenin.

10. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    The most likely ancient Greek macguffin which makes sense to me is the impenetrable armor of Achilles. It was left in Odysseus sunken ship when attacked by the Kraken. Perhaps KGB find the location of the the mythical kingdom of Ithaca from the Odyssey where King Odysseus was from and his tomb. The tomb has a map which tells the life story of Odysseus and reveals the sunken location of the ship. At the end there is a large battle with the Kraken, which was not a piece of mythology in the story which consumes the ship and those intruding into its native waters.

AndyLGR likes this.
  11. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Something from Greek mythology is an idea I like:)

12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I wouldn't mind it but it brings up, Clash of the Titans and Pirates of the Caribbean which isn't a bad thing it just sounds too samey.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    to me the macguffin isn't that big of a deal, it's more the adventure. just don't go so over the top as the end of the last one. sankara stone level supernatural please.

oh and rewatch Raiders over and over for TONE and bring back Sallah

14. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    That beard Ford's been growing out really does make him look a lot younger.

[​IMG]

If he could just keep it during filming of the next Indy film, that'd be nice.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Sallah returning is one of my biggest hopes for this film.

Get everyone back for one last ride (except for Marion, I think I've seen enough of her)!

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    my biggest disappointment with a sequel in a series I really like has to be Jurassic Park 3 JW was a big improvement and back to form for the JP Franchise, I actually Really Liked Indy 4 and felt, yea It had It's faults but felt like it belonged in the Indy Franchise And It looks really good on Blu-ray on my 42 Inch LG HD TV !!!!!!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I had a horrible thought today what if after the bad reception to KOTCS Disney decide to go the TFA route with Indy 5 and make it as much like Raiders of The Lost Ark as possible[face_nail_biting]

Imagine it the film starts with Indy traipsing round a lost temple before suddenly being chased by a massive bronze cylinder, he narrowly escapes only to be confronted by his Italian rival, Bellochi. Later in the film Indy has to pass through a crypt of venomous cobras and then has a boat chase whereupon he is thrown into the water but manages to climb back up by clambering along the underside of the boat and speeding of with the golden chest of treasure while the Russian baddie colonel and Bellochi get splashed by seals........

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That's my biggest fear

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Don't doubt it. Spielberg has always been the most conservative of the Lucas-Spielberg duo concerning the franchise, and he's always been againts the most extravagant or supernatural aspects of the series (including the aliens of Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom as a whole).
    So, if you team up Spielberg with a big studio that wants to exploit a succesful formula...

The thing that I don't like about it is that nobody has said "we have a great story in mind and therefore we are going to make the movie". This is just doing another movie for the sake of doing it ("the more the better").

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Spielberg will rehash Raiders regardless if Disney wanted to or not. Lucas likes to mess with the formula while Spielberg doesn't. Indy 5 will very much be in the tone of Raiders and Last Crusade.

oierem likes this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Actually wouldn't mind seeing Indy with a beard. Taking after dad!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    From yesterday's CinemaCon:
    http://variety.com/2016/film/news/frank-marshall-indiana-jones-harrison-ford-cinemacon-1201750527/

Still no mention of Lucas, though. [face_sigh]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If the Indiana Jones Chronicles are still canon, then Indy with a beard in his old age is not out of the question! I'd welcome it. Very "True Grit."

I love the Vietnam tie-in idea, actually. Crystal Skull was set in, what, 1954? Place "Indy 5" in 1968 and set it in Laos or Cambodia or somewhere else near Vietnam jungles. Definitely don't cast Shia again. Just have a reference to Mutt in dialog somewhere or other. I do think Marion should be dead by this point. She was a very heavy drinker after all, and her heart health could not have been too good in her 50s and 60s..That would be interesting to see how Indy is dealing with that, as well as Communists of course.

24. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I'd like the film to involve time travel. That would give them a plausible reason to pass down the torch to a younger actor playing Indy.

If not in Indy 5 (which obviously is going to be a rehash of Raiders and Last Crusade) I'd like them to do it in Indy 6.

25. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    In an interview this week Frank Marshall said the film would be a continuation of the KOTCS story. Read in to that what you will.