main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I know the Scotland "haunted castle" story/script idea from the start of Chris Columbus' draft gets a lot of flak, but I honestly think a smaller scale story like this could work really well for both Indy as a character and for Ford's older age. We know and love Indy for his globetrotting adventures, but I think it's still possible to tell a fun and exciting movie on a much smaller scale. That it is to stay, I'd be opened for such a story.

Of note regarding the new comments from Spielberg: he says they're filming in April in the UK. Crystal Skull was basically shot entirely in the US. I imagine Lucasfilm's surge in a plethora of Star Wars activities in the UK partly lead to that decision. Hopefully we'll officially know more about this film by the end of the year.

christophero30 likes this.
  2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I hope with this one they learn from the mistakes of KOTCS. That seemed too fake and set bound to me with no where near the scope of the others.

Sarge likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I actually always liked the haunted castle story. It fits the general vibe of the first three films, and I can only imagine how much fun Spielberg would have with that kind of setting. Agreed that it would help accommodate Ford's age. However, if they go for more globetrotting adventure, I'd love to see something set within Russia. Maybe Jones having to lead a group of American government sanctioned archeologists on a trek through the Siberian tundra without being discovered by the Soviet government.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Set in the late 60's according to Spielberg

7. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Good scoop there.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    A
    Although KOTCS wasn't my least favorite, I do agree it felt more "set bound" than the others-especially LC. And although I agree that the scope was more narrow than LC and Raiders, IMO the scope was actually more broad than TOD (which is my least favorite).

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I have to say I am looking forward to this. It will most likely be ford's last go at the character and for that reason they should go big and end the series as well as possible.

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jonathan Kasdan, who I personally think is a hack, is taking over scripting duties from David Koepp for Indy 5.

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Here’s the report. I thought the script for Solo was fine, so I’m okay with this.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-jonathan-kasdan/

And here’s Birth.Movies.Death saying they’ve heard more than once that he plot revolves around the Fountain of Youth.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/06/28/indiana-jones-5-news

They backtrack and say that it was also a rumor prior to KotC (I remember that and Atlantis being the top two theories) but it would be... one way to go about soft rebooting the series, de-aging Indy. Less logical than just doing films set in the 20s with a younger actor, in my opinion, and it means you perpetually move him forward in time which loses the pulp feeling. But definitely one way of doing it.

12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Does Alden Ehrenreich get to be Indiana Jones as well?

13. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Variety says the movie has been delayed for months and possibly a year due to disagreements over the script. Spielberg is flirting with directing a different movie next year instead of Indy 5.

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Bummer. Mr. Ford ain't getting any younger. PS Sign me up for a haunted castle Indy!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    GunganSlayer and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    He was between doing West Side Story and Indy 5 initially, so if I had to guess, he'll probably do that while waiting for the script to come together. If nothing else, I'm happy they're waiting until everyone involved is pleased with the script before moving forward. Spielberg and Ford deserve to go out on a high note.

christophero30 and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd argue they already did.

L110 and ezekiel22x like this.
  17. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Birth Movies Death reporting they’ve heard the movie will deal with the hunt for the fountain of youth.

18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This possible delay is very disheartening news.
    There were prior indications that Indy 5 was Speliberg's next priority (while he continued to work on putting West Side Story together), and even with a change in writers, there's still plenty of time to meet the 2020 release date. I mean, we're about half-way through 2018, that's enough time to put together a good script and still shoot in early 2019, as planned. What a bummer.

I'll also add I am not a fan at all of this fountain of youth rumor.

19. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The fountain of youth is a little to close to the holy grail

christophero30 and GunganSlayer like this.
  20. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Obvious all the news about the film entering production was contingent on the script. I loved Solo so I'm all on board for Jon Kasdan taking over scripting duties. I would imagine that Lawrence Kasdan will at least take a look at it if not do a polish himself. I think we're looking at a 2021 release date to celebrate the 40th Anniversary(!) of "Raiders of the Lost Ark." If the film doesn't come out then. I'm guessing it's not coming out at all.

21. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Don't you say those mean things :p

22. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I should clarify. An Indy 5 with Harrison Ford probably won't come out if they miss the 2021 date. I'm sure the series will be rebooted with a new actor at some point.

23. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Whoops, didn’t see that another poster beat me to the fountain of youth news .

24. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    I’m surprised it hasn’t been rebooted already. There are rumors that Disney is planning to add an Indiana Jones land to the Animal Kingdom park in Florida so they obviously have plans for the Indy IP.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    This could be the start of bigger news. Are we going to hear about shake ups at Lucasfilm next?