main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its a pity it may be delayed, Ford isn't getting any younger. After all hes 76 this year! Hopefully he can find the fountain of youth in real life. But TBH if he puts in performances like he did in TFA and Blade Runner 2049 I'll be happy.

Kasdan is also a logical choice I feel for this film. I just can't see it being anything as left field as KOTCS was (can you believe that film is now ten years old) and I think Indy 5 will play it safe.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  2. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don’t think this is getting made.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Indy 5 will ABSOLUTELY play it safe and be a retread of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" like "The Last Crusade" was. Lucas likes to take a change and mess with the Indy formula while Spielberg doesn't. And I'm fine with that. I think since this will be the last Harrison Ford Indy film recapturing the nostalgia of the first film will be the way to go. Bring it full circle and have Indy finally find the Fertility Idol from "Raiders" opening.

GunganSlayer and christophero30 like this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not sure I'm really feeling this anymore. I might be a sly marketing dig against Crystal Skull away from skipping Indy 5.

5. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I've been comparing Solo to Raiders since I saw it, so it was fitting to see Jon Kasdan land the rewrite gig on Indy 5. I guess Spielberg agrees with me!

That said, I still can't get excited about this movie. The time for a proper farewell to Ford's Indy was Crystal Skull and that ship has sailed. That movie also created several obstacles for this project -- saddling him with a son that wasn't compelling and a wife that he longer has chemistry with. Not to mention Indy is in the 1960s/70s now, which means we lose the pulpy 1930s setting that was crucial to the original trilogy.

If it were up to me, I'd make Indy 5 a backdoor reboot using the structure of the Young I.J. Chronicles episode, "Mystery of the Blues." Have some imminent threat in the present cause Old Indy to narrate a story from his past -- perhaps to his enraptured students -- then we flashback to a much younger Indy going on his "first adventure." For the next 100 minutes, we see Indy search for, say, Excalibur or Atlantis. Then at the end, we return to the present where Indy deals with the threat without the need for fisticuffs, proving that he's "still got it" in his own way.

And from then on, we just keep going with the new Young Indy in the now-rebooted franchise.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Considering it's Disney, I'd be shocked if they don't reboot the franchise in this way. I'd have no problem with Chris Pratt taking over bookended by Ford. But if they wait a few years more there will prob. be a Ford-less reboot. I'd rather see the former. I'd rather see one more Ford adventure but the longer they wait the less likely it is.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Out of pure nostalgia sure I'd like to see another Ford driven Indiana, up to a point - but honestly Ford is too old and tired.The Last Indiana Jones was bad enough, was just a bad and forgettable movie. His acting isnt all that great in Indiana Jones IV, Bladerunner 2 or TFA. He tried putting on a good show in TFA but it was obvious his version of the character was expiring and there to push forward the weaker new characters & he did not want to be there cept to get a paycheck. He's not a box office draw anymore either, probably not since Air Force One back in the '90's. They should leave Indiana Jones alone, let it rest.

I could be surprised and an eventual new one is actually good, but it may need a recast/reboot at this stage and for the future. Am a bit more interested in a possible Willow TV series than Indiana.

8. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    Chris Pratt as Indy --- NOOOOoooooo! I enjoyed Indy IX and hope Ford gets to reprise Indy one more time.

9. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    I wonder if the re-writes could involve Mutt coming back after all. Not that I want that to happen.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Mutt coming back...Noooooooo! :vader:[face_praying][face_tee_hee] A grown up Short Round...now we're talking. And Kate Capshaw. And a Sean Connery flashback scene.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes, this is exactly what I would do as well.

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    If they were to use the flashback storyline they could structure it more like The Godfather Part II were the stories are intercut. A young Indy played by Chris Pratt for example and Harrison Ford playing old Indy involving the same relic or quest. If the quest was the Fountain of Youth you could even do a scene at the end where old Indy drinks from the fountain and briefly turns into young Indy.

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I vote for Alden Ehrenreich as Indiana Jones :p

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Don't go there girlfriend. [face_laugh]

Darth Smurf and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  15. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Agreed.I can't see this film getting made now unless they bookend the movie with Ford while introducing the new Indy in flashback.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't see any reason why there should be a need for Harrison Ford sharing the Indy-role in the movie. This isn't suddenly getting made 20 years later than originally planned, Harrison Ford is either fit enough to do the movie or he isn't, whether he is 76, 77 or 78 when the movie gets shot doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Shooting it one year later should have no impact on the role planned for him in the movie.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Unless he's recast (which I COULD see happening), I don't think Mutt will come back. Shia and Spielberg didn't get along at all

As for Shorty.... whatever happened to the kid who played him? I'd totally be for it, but part of me wonders if Spielberg even wants to be reminded of Temple of Doom, given how much he hates that movie. Ditto for his wife, so I doubt Willie would appear

Sean Connery isn't into acting anymore. They offered him a cameo in Crystal Skull that he turned down. Plus I think he's in pretty poor health nowadays

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    That's sad about Connery. I think Short Round is a stuntman these days.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  19. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Plus they already announced Shia is not returning

Also if Connery wasn't so stubborn we would have had a photo of all the Bond actors reuniting for the first time for the 50th anniversary

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  20. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
  21. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    19 years between 3 and 4 and now 13 years between 4 and 5. Yikes.

That said, glad Koepp is off the film. If you read Rinzler's making of IJ, pretty clear that Koepp was a primary source for a lot of the film's issues.

EDIT: and it will take Disney a minimum of 9 years to get IJ 5 to screen. Double yikes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  22. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The 40th Anniversary it is then [face_party]

Will it take place in the, what would it be 1970's by then? :confused:

christophero30 and Miles Lodson like this.
  23. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    1971 by my count!

EDIT: actually I think it will be 1970

TLC: 1938 1989
    KOTCS: 1957 2008
    IJ 5: 1970 2021

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Gai' Phó and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  24. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Here are some historical events in 1970:
    • U.S. President Richard Nixon orders an invasion of Cambodia, widening the war in Vietnam. ...
    • The U.S. Senate repeals the Gulf of Tonkin resolution that had given Presidents Johnson and Nixon sweeping powers in the Vietnam War.
    • The Beatles break up.
    • Egyptian president Gamal Abdel-Nassar dies.

Gai' Phó and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  25. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    It could be fun to see Indiana cross over with the pop culture which gave birth to him. He could even go see THX-1138.

christophero30 and Jar-Jar Binks like this.