main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    If true, I absolutely love the MacGuffin they've chosen.

I had never even heard of the Wałbrzych gold train legend before, but it would be the perfect capper to Harrison's time as Indy while saving the juicier, more accessible legends (e.g. Atlantis, Excalibur, Fountain of Youth) for a new Indy actor.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    christophero30 likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They need to rev things up if they want Harrison aboard.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I would do both for Indy 5. I would do a split-time story where we see a young (recasted) Indy on an adventure in the 1930s which he never completes, but then have Ford in the 60s completing the final steps of the adventure. Then, moving forward, do movies with the new, young Indy in the 30s and 40s.

cwustudent and christophero30 like this.
  4. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I think many/most fans are on-board with that approach. There's even a template for it in the Young I.J. Chronicles episode, "The Mystery of the Blues." The big problem, I suspect, is that Harrison wants to be the star one last time. Not share the spotlight with a new young Indy.

Kathleen Kennedy and Disney are in a tricky place. On the one hand, Ford may have Indy 5 (and script approval) in his contract. On the other hand, they can ill afford another dud I.J. film after Crystal Skull. And a 70+ year-old Indy will make it very hard NOT to be a dud.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    The best role Ford could fulfil in No.5 is sort of a similar role to Sean Connery in The Last Crusade.
    The best option in my opinion is a reboot though.
    Ford is not at all suited to play An energetic constant on the go wide cracking swashbuckler.
    It took 20 years to come up with Crystal Skull, now that's sad really.

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Paging Short Round, who could be played by Jin from Lost.

7. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I feel like a story about Indy at the end of his life so to speak deserves to be told

Just because he is old does not mean there are not stories to be told

Why wouldn't you want to see Indys story concluded

8. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Indeed.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I agree. I think we need to see old Indy passing the torch to new Indy.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Werner Herzog should be the new Indy

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Atlantis would be cool. Like the video game. There could be some secret weapon hidden down there.

12. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. That game was great. They should simply take the plot

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Latest update on the project comes from Variety, from the premiere of The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Ford's first animated film):

-Ford says the film "should be starting to shoot sometime next year.”
    -Also says, “I’m looking forward to it. Things are coming along well.”

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  14. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005

Harrison Ford weighs in on who should next play Indiana Jones: 'Nobody'
    https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/24/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-future-actor/

15. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I don't think Indy should be recast and more than that I actually think if they introduce a new character it might well be best not to try and make them TOO close to Indy. I mean we get constant moaning from some quarters about switching the gender/race of characters but here I suspect people might be more willing to follow a new character if there not viewed as a Faux Indy.

I mean Indris Alba has often been mentioned for Bond but I could see him play this kind of character well personally, has the same rugged adventurer look./personality as ford but with more of a strong/silent edge to him. Equally if she was finished with the MCU I could see Scarlett Johansson work more as a femme fatal kind of character in Indy like films.

I really don't want to see a self aware Indy franchise either ala Abrams work.

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think I've heard Ford give those exact same comments a time or ten over the years :p.

I've no doubt it's going to happen, but I'm very curious to see what approach they take. If this is Ford's last go-round as the character, he needs to be front and center, not a supporting player. Connery was great in TLC, but that's not the role Indy needs here IMO. And I don't want an handing off of the baton either. Whether they re-cast Mutt or bring in another young character/sidekick, I don't want this to just be a set-up for "Phase 2". Let Ford have his moment. Stick the landing this time (I'm looking at you Crystal Skull). Then figure out what to do next. Prequels w/a young pre-TOD (technically the first movie chronologically speaking) Indy? Ehh, sure there was the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but I'm not so sure how audiences would take to a new actor in the role on the big screen. Indy is often compared to James Bond, which has done it several times, but none of those actors was associated w/the character for 40 years the way Ford has been here. He is Indy at this point. Even more so than he is Han Solo I think. And that particular young recast production wasn't quite smashing success, whatever one's opinion of it personally.

17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I like the way you think juke

18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm getting increasingly worried with all the delays. It's been moved back two years when we would have had it released by now. Harrison's getting older and older, and while I'm not opposed to a recast for future films beyond Number 5 (it sounds like Spielberg intends for this to be more than a one-off, unless that has changed since 2017), he shouldn't be denied at least one more chance if he has already agreed to it.

All we really know is that Harrison Ford is (hopefully) in it and that Shia and Mutt aren't. As it stands, I'm terrified that this movie will become another Spider-Man 4.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Indiana Jones and the search for actors

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I was just listening to the latest Indy Cast podcast there are actually rumors that Indy 5 starts filming April 2020 Hopefully this is true!

Emperor Ferus and christophero30 like this.
  21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They'd probably pair him with his estranged daughter from another woman and write off Mutt Williams.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  22. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Indy will be even older than the Grail Knight from TLC at this rate.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Given Ford’s age now and then, I’m guessing the film will take place 1965-1980.

Iron_lord and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I would love it if they brought back Short Round...

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Odd thing is both Indy III and IV had great endings for the character which they keep ignoring. Not sure how they can top it after getting married in the last movie, probably dying.

Sarge, Emperor Ferus and BigAl6ft6 like this.