main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm onboard with that as well. Always have been. But what frustrates me about the woke movement is that it paints anyone who disagrees with it as sexist, racist or homophobic. So for example, I've always been a huge fan of the first two Terminator films, and love Sarah Connor as a character. But then Tim Miller came along and told the media that his film Dark Fate would "scare the **** out of misogynists." OK, I guess people who like Sarah Connor are misogynists?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Only really seen her on SNL and Solo but I loved her in Solo “Why because you’re my organic overlord?!” honestly, the whole thing is trending towards universe crossovers anyway, just have L3 land on 1970s Earth because reasons.

3. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    New Indy set in 1977: Early in the film, chase scene with elderly Harrison passes by a theater premiering Star Wars, with lines of people stretching down the block. Universe explodes. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

indydefense and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. Take this to the Senate Floor if you want to discuss it. This thread is about Indiana Jones.

5. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    To be fair, Indy fights both of the groups I mentioned (commies and nazis), so it really is part of Indiana Jones. And it goes even deeper if you bring the Young Indy TV series into the mix, because Indy's life is tied into some of the most of the important political events of the 20th Century.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

If you want to discuss Indy fighting Nazis and communists, or Indy’s potential involvement in political events of the 20th century as someone referenced earlier regarding the setting in the 70s, this is the thread for it.

It is not the thread for your opinions on “wokeness” which was in the quoted post. That belongs in the Senate Floor.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Well she was a droid in Solo with a modulated voice. In Indy 5 she will be most likely Human only the astute eye will be able to tell its the same actress or a Star Wars/Indiana Jones Fanboy!

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There gonna be many Nazis left in the 1970s? I dunno if the response to the Russians in KotCK would scare them off being the big bad/ we've already had Russians anyway. Generic baddie looking for a magical artifact. Hell, make it a Disco Star who stumbles upon the Widget of Glowy Power.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    they could make the film in the 70's just not a lot of gimmicky stuff to tell your in the 70s is all i ask. but didnt Mangold say all 4 of his next films will be set in the 70s?

Sarge likes this.
  10. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    I really, really hope they don't try to shoehorn the Nazis into the 1970s. It would be such a joke. But I wouldn't put it past them, since Lawrence Kasdan said the Argentinian neo-Nazis were his inspiration for the First Order in the ST.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd hope not if only because I really really want that Logan sequel, unless he meant 2070s for Laura? Which I'd be totally okay with.

Anyway, I love me some Logan and Mangold isn't exactly a hired gun Disney hack noob so I think Indy V is in good hands. I mean, probably not as dark as Logan for Indy but I can see Indy hitting the road with young charge kinda deal. As he often does anyway.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I still haven't seen Logan. I tapped out of the X-Men movies ages ago and still haven't watched that one, despite liking Mangold and seeing all of the acclaim had it has gotten. I should change that. I do remember enjoying the first two thirds of The Wolverine. The Silver Samurai mech suit finale didn't quite work for me, though. Thinking back to earlier in Mangold's career, I also thought Identity was a fun little horror movie.

Weirdly enough though, it is more so Ford v Ferrari that makes me think that Mangold is a good choice for a new Indy adventure. Even though my heart longs for more George Lucas DNA in the project, and Spielberg's directing.
    ---

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The only real difference is that she’s got the ability to hire and fire now. Why would she have more creative input than before?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    She's the head of the studio, she definitely has more creative input now. How much of that she exercises, I couldn't say. It's also not something I'm terribly worried about quantifying. The movie's either good or it's bad, and we don't get much behind-the-scenes insight with Disney, so as usual we won't know who's fault it is or isn't.

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes but it was put to us that she will have more creative input than before. Given that she was already close to GL and Spielberg during the previous film, I don’t necessarily see why she would necessarily have greater creative input than she would have exercised, if she wished, before.

16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I missed this earlier, but James Mangold put out a statement to Hollywood Reporter earlier when the news broke:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...oebe-waller-bridge-to-star-with-harrison-ford

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Pre Covid Harrison signed on to do a TV series. Hopefully that won't interfere. A remake of an acclaimed British miniseries.

18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    With the official channels still touting the July 2022 release today, this thing has to be gearing up to film any day now, so any other commitments that Ford has must be happening after he wraps on this one. It feels strange to have gotten here, after so many delays and creative shakeups, but it is actually, for real happening now. I just hope that it manages to keep that Lucas/Spielberg spirit intact while brining Indy into another new era, without coming across like a The Force Awakens-style "Remember that!?!" retread.

I wonder how long before we get a title?

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Mangold is a much better filmmaker than JJ, so probably not.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    But he also knows what he is and isn't supposed to deliver. There may be a lot of room to maneuver within that space, but in practice he doesn't have as free a hand as, say, George Lucas did when he said, "Let's do aliens."

bstnsx704 likes this.
  21. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Boys from Brazil is an obvious thing to riff on re Nazis in the 70s, and we've had Amazon's Hunters more recently I guess to get currently audiences primed for the idea. Timeline-wise their more younger fanatics of WW2 would be middle-aged in that decade.

Otherwise, the only other realistic (as in what the filmmakers might find marketable and viable) possibility could be some general evil millionaire baddie or syndicate leader, harking back perhaps more bluntly to Indy's James Bond inspirations.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Corporate megalomaniac teched up supervillain would be fitting with the James Bond inspiration. Hell, I'd be overjoyed if they stuck Bond/Roger Moore on a marquee or a poster somewhere. But I'm just going to pretend that Indy is fighting against mind controlling disco balls until something confirms differently.

christophero30 likes this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Nobody Does It Better by Carley Simon as the theme song.

24. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Pretty bummed that we won't be seeing the Paramount logo fade into a (sometimes fake) mountain to open this one up. This is very much akin to losing the Fox fanfare before "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

---

I guess that means Jon Kasdan is no longer on board, then. I have no idea if they're building off of Kasdan's draft, or if Mangold and the Butterworths started from scratch and tossed Kasdan's stuff once Mangold took over the project from Spielberg. I know it was around that transitional period between directors that Koepp completely departed the project.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  25. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Those are actually the things that make me optimistic about it.
    Obviously, nobody can deny that Lucas and Spielberg did a great job with the first three Indy films, and while I enjoy bits of KOTCS, it's clear that Spielberg had already moved on from doing those kinds of movies, and Lucas's ideas for it weren't the best. Bringing in some fresh blood, especially a talented director like Mangold, could give the series the boost it needs. As for Kathleen Kennedy, she's been involved with a ton of movies I enjoyed tremendously throughout the years, including the most recent SW movies. The main problem I had with the recent SW movies is the lack of a cohesive plan for the trilogy, but Indy 5 will be a one-and-done film, much like Rogue One and Solo, so that won't be an issue.