main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If this film deals in some way with Nazis that fled to Argentina after WWII, I won’t complain. Indy punching Nazis is fun in any decade.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Odd numbered Indy movies tend to fall back on the Nazi angle after the previous installment wasn't as well received; if I were a betting man, I would put money on something similar here.

3. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    But an elderly Indy punching elderly Nazis? Sorry, just doesn't sound exciting to me. I wish Ford, et al would just retire the character with dignity.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Did you see Blade Runner 2049? Dude can still throw a punch.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    They cast Mads Mikkelsen sorry if I Butchered his first name is it Mads or Madds or something totally different? But you have Mikkelsen and then they cast a German Actor I could see Nazis in the Jungles of South America. I think that would be cool! Spielberg said he would never direct Nazis in a comedic way but Spielberg isn't Directing just producing James Mangold is Directing. In a Nazi in South America Indy film they could mix in The Fountain of Youth! In the past 4 years Nazi shows have been big Man In The High Castle which was incredible and Hunters which is really good! So I could see this being the direction they go plus it would appease fans who didn't like Russians in Indy 4...

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    They should do all principle photography via zoom and green-screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    According to J.W Rinzler's book about the Indiana Jones movies, Spielberg tried pitching different ideas to Lucas to get him to drop the aliens/inter-dimensional beings premise for Indy 4. One of those ideas involved Indy dealing with Nazis hiding out in South America but Lucas basically said it's either aliens or the movie isn't happening.

My main issue with the Nazis in South America idea is that we just had an Indy movie taking place in South America with KOTCS and part of Raiders took place there as well. We've kind of done South America to death in my opinion. I would rather see Indy going somewhere else in the world for an adventure. That being said, there are definitely intriguing story ideas with Indy dealing with post WWII Nazis.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Why does he have to fight? One of the most iconic Indy scenes involves him shooting the sword wielder and choosing not to engage.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I mean either it’s Nazis or the Russians again and we’ll the Russians had a poor outing.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The planned sequel to Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix, actually did have that exact storyline. It was set in 1947, and had Nazis in South America looking for the Philosopher's stone to revive Hitler, and use some sort of wonder-weapons to destroy the world powers. It involved a female Soviet operative who would first work against Indy, and later team up with him to stop the Nazis.

That game never made it, as it ran into severe production-issues and they realized it couldn't be sold in Germany, which at that point was the most important market for these sort of games. There was however a 4-issue comic series based on the story. The first three issues stuck to the ideas of the game, before apparently deviating drastically towards zombie-Nazis in the last issue.

It certainly is something that could work as a story, even if you push it 20 years further into the future. Come to think of it, even if it won't have anything to do with the upcoming movie, it would actually be quite interesting to have them try and make that game now.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Punching either Russians or Nazi's is always a good thing. Could you imagine Indy punching Putin's father? I would enjoy that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Harrison Ford was looking pretty old at the Oscars tonight. Father Time has finally caught up to him.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well I doubt they two two films in a row with Russians. the film either takes place in the late 60s or early 70s that leaves Vietnam Asian enemy which is to contreversal right now but i wont bring that up or why in this thread its for another thread. or may be Cuba but i doubt its Cuba. so that leaves Nazis in South America what other enemy of America was there in 60s 70s unless its a cult thing like in Temple Of Doom or something original no world power. I loved the Alien stuff in Crystal Skull i always liked Alien stuff like,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love all this Alien stuff ever since I was a young kid and Unsolved Mysteries. If you like this stuff you most likely liked Crystal Skull Indy 4 to me Alien stuff is just as plausable as mainstream religion!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the movie will be good. I have faith

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well Mangold is a really good director i mean, Logan and the Wolverine one where Logan goes to Japan I really liked that one saw both in the theater! Walk The Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Copland and Ford vs Ferrari all good movies!

16. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Why is no one talking about the CIA as potential baddies?? That would be different and refreshing IMO.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That would actually be pretty fun. We have precedent for the government not trusting Indy, considering he was interrogated and blacklisted under suspicion of Communist ties in KotCS.

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It would also be an interesting way to frame some American-based antagonists in the Vietnam War era.

19. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    There is also precedent with Indy not trusting the government after they ultimately took the Ark in Raiders.
    They could have one main goverment bad guy in charge with a sadistic streak. I'm thinking an unhinged Gary Oldman type character.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Could be Mads Mikkelsen's character with Thomas Kretschmann being the Vogel-type character?

darthfettus2015 and StarYogi like this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This sounds okay, but the only thing is I'd prefer the story takes Indy to a part of the world we haven't seen before. They spent most of the last film in South America. (My personal vote is for China or central Africa)

I ultimately agree with this. Although I would be intrigued to see what they do with a new Indy film, I really would prefer they simply lay the series to rest, and leave us to enjoy the classics we have.

True, but even Blade Runner 2049 was several years ago now! (where did the time go!?)

I actually love this idea-or at least the potential of a variation on it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    AndyLGR likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, there are only two continents that haven't been in any Indiana Jones film: Australia and Antarctica. ;)

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I was under the Impression principal photography starts late spring that is getting close May June!

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Since we've never had a Buddhist artifact yet, they could go that route (one of the better comics had an adventure all across Asia chasing a "Testament of Buddha"), set the story in Tibet, and have the bad guys be Chinese Communists.

All things being equal, at least, that would be pretty great and totally something I would watch. Alas, never going to happen, because The China Market.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    You could also just use garden variety European colonialists.

There were still countries in the sixties where the old colonial empires were hanging on by their fingernails, and other countries which were technically independent, but really might as well not be.

GunganSlayer likes this.