main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    "Nice try, pal, but I think you just brought a knife to a gunfight."
    "Oh, that's not a knife... THAT'S a knife!"

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Chinese is too risky to go with a villain because of all the Asian racism in America right now.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think it’s moreso the tensions most of the Western world is having with China right now that might make that tricky. Plus, Disney would never alienate a market that huge that they want in on.

Clever idea though, and a good spiritual successor to the Nazi stuff in the earlier films.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sarge like this.
  4. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It's both. I think "but the China market!" is definitely the bigger consideration, but you're right that right at this moment, they probably aren't keen to feed that monster.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Exactly but America Is the biggest country out there and Indy 5 Is an American Production Disney Produced!

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He will fly with Apollo 20 to the dark side of the moon to hunt Nazis in their Haunebus. Silly? Well we had Aliens already.

Sarge likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Mads Mikkelsen had a few comments on the film in a recent interview, including praise for the script:

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-script-mads-mikkelsen-comments/

bstnsx704, Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm just happy there is a completed script.

9. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Not exactly hyped yet, but I am certainly curious.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  10. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

christophero30 likes this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Hold onto your potatoes.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  12. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I do really like the idea of using the CIA/other governmental organization as a primary antagonist (even if they used a "made up" organization). The 1960s, and especially the 1970s with Watergate, were rather turbulent times domestically in the United States. You have a lot of paranoia and distrust in the CIA, FBI, and other government agencies, there was the Civil Rights movement and related oppression, violence, etc, poverty and the housing crisis, the anti-war effort, and eventually the energy crisis, among many other events. Indy already has distrust of the government and its intentions (re: Raiders, as an example. You also have the gov's suspensions of his intentions during the Cold War in KOTC). There are many parallels with this time period and themes to the present day, so it could connect really well thematically. Some of the best thrillers in film history were also made during this time period, exploring such themes.

From an international perspective, you of course have the ongoing Cold War, with the Vietnam War being one of the primary hot conflicts. De-colonization was ongoing during this time, too, and I think this could be a fascinating topic to explore, as former world powers are in decline and dismantling their empires and/or overseas possessions. The repatriation of cultural artifacts by many nations around the world is an ongoing issue. Many important artifacts to former colonial nations are currently held in universities and musuems of former colonial powers. Indy is an individual that contributed to this problem. Lots to explore there.

The "Nazis in South America" trope I feel like has been pretty well covered in a variety of media over the past decades. I don't know if we really need another movie with that theme and setting, but I will admit it does intrigue me with Indy in the mix. Having Mikkelsen and Kretschmann in the cast does lead one to think in this direction, but, maybe, and just maybe, it's "too obvious?"

StarYogi and Sarge like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hell their are countries today that are basically colonies. If not in name.

14. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I just thought of a perfect comedic side-plot that could play out beneath the action:

The 1970's media is somehow tipped off that an American archeologist may have discovered the Ark of the Covenant in the 1930's, and word gets out that Indy was the guy. First have the CIA approach Indy at his office early in the film and warn him to keep quiet (about the aliens thing too). Then introduce a new Macguffin with new CIA/ government antagonists, etc.

Meanwhile, in the midst of the plot have a couple of 1970's film-makers (Lucas & Speilberg look-alikes) show up to pitch the concept of an action movie series based on his adventures. Indy of course scoffs and dismisses them immediately, but then Marion becomes enraptured with the idea and pesters him about it throughout the movie!

The real Indy being approached as a possible inspiration for a fictional 70's action hero would be so meta!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't hate that. That's not unlike the whole side story in Logan about how the X-Men were made into comics, and Logan mentions how only like a quarter of those stories actually happened. I thought that was kind of cool.

StarYogi likes this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's the Logan director; we could see a similar tone. (I doubt they will go that dark) but more character driven perhaps.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  17. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Indiana Jones Meets the Mickey Mouse Butler

I wonder if the movie is set in Scotland, or if the highlands are standing in for another location.

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Interesting. Indy is usually in a desert or jungle. Sounds like the film is finally a go, which is exciting.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Indiana Jones and the Curse of Hogwarts! The ultimate multiverse crossover!

...But seriously, I'm intrigued by this news. I've always been fascinated by the Highlands. But I still maintain what has been said-that's a bit out of pattern. Usually a more exotic locale is used-like jungles or whatever. Again my vote would've been for somewhere around central Africa. Then again, Indiana Jones films have been known to feature more than one locale-technically LC had three, not including the intro! So there's no guarantee after all that we won't still see something else.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Indiana Jones and the Loch Ness Monster?

22. 19nazzy

19nazzy Jedi Master

Nov 9, 2004
    I’m just happy they’re actually filming internationally again.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Maybe a Connery tribute/flashback? A beginning sequence with a young Henry Jones Jr.

Jar-Jar Binks and Freelancer257 like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There Can Be Only One Indiana Jones: The Haggis of Doom

Freelancer257 and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  25. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    That'd be awesome, reminiscent of young indy in crusade

Freelancer257 and christophero30 like this.