main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    OK its really picking up speed. Seems like its happening. Iam suprised to be honest!

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Why would you think it wasn't happening?

4. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It’s been pushed back a ton since it was announced in 2016, always seemed to be in a state of various screenwriters figuring out what the story would be, and I think everyone remembers the numerous false starts prior to KotCS.

KyleKartan likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, the pandemic didn't help either. I don't think you can lay all the blame for the delay on the film staff.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    True, but we got the new Indy logo at the last Disney announcement then the director was announced and over the last month we’ve been getting casting details, I never thought this was in doubt once we got all that.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    To be fair Indy movies are notorious for their delays, and Harrison saying things like "we're waiting for a script we all like."

BigAl6ft6 and PymParticles like this.
  8. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Cant believe they liked the crystal skull script.

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Why not? It's the pulp sci-fi Indy movie that George always wanted to make.

Immortiss and Gobi-1 like this.
  10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Eh, I think it's a halfway compromise between that movie and a more traditional Indiana Jones adventure. The first half of the movie sets up a conspiracy thriller in the vein of the paranoid "your neighbor could be a commie alien" narrative found in many 1950s sci-fi B-movies. The second half of the film fails to commit to that idea on any level, up to and including making the Roswell alien "a distant cousin" of the aliens in Akator instead of the same species, and instead retreads the "race to the finish line" structure that defined both Raiders and Last Crusade. It's two movies smashed together in a way that benefits neither, and I genuinely think if they had committed to one or the other, KotCS would have been a lot better and well-regarded.

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Russian is a nationality, not an ideology. That's all I'll say about that.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    DP

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm a communist.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea since this was quoted after I deleted it. I’ll explain this. I thought for some reason I was the one who wrote the Russians and Nazi comment. I wasn’t. I just got very confused when this was quoted. Just so any can solve any confusion there.

15. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    But Spielberg said that the main thing is George's story. Yes, Spielberg interprets it in his own way as a director, but it's still George's story. Kepp is a hired screenwriter. He wrote what Lucas wanted, who was the author of the story and outlines on which the script is based.

16. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Story and script are two very different things. There were a lot of wildly different scripts based on Lucas's story.

17. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    I do not argue about this. And I know that the plot and the script are two different things.

But writing a script to order is not the same as writing it according to your own ideas and structure.

If Kepp had written the script based on his own his original ideas and structure, the result would have been different. He wrote what Lucas wanted from him. Which was followed by the LAST word on the plot. So Kepp wrote the script that George wanted to see.

Spielberg himself always said that the story of Lucas is at the head. And what would GL like to see in the film. Yes, Spielberg interprets it in his own way (as director), but it's still based on the story of Lucas and his creative impulse.

Spielberg worked on the Kingdom without much enthusiasm. After Darabont's firing, Lucas's vision clearly prevailed over Spielberg.

18. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Theres something missing from KOTCS when I compare it to the other 3 that I can't put my finger on, maybe its the enthusiasm aspect, but its like going through the motions with a bad story. Aspects of it are fine, like Harrison, the opening and Kate Blanchett. But its easily my biggest cinematic disappointment in terms of a franchise that I love. I hope that 5 gets that injection of enthusiasm it needs from a new team behind the scenes.

19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Illuminerdi posted an update with plot and character details.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the last thing we need now is a title. And well the movie.

22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    The Illuminerdi are one of those weird clickbaity sites, right? I want to believe this one, 'cause I think the NASA connection is very cool given the time period. But I'm not gonna hold my breath (heh) just yet.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    They're kind of decent with their sources, although they have been wrong before. They posted an article last year about the latest Transformers film that seems to be on the money considering what is now known about it, so this may be true.

bstnsx704 and PymParticles like this.
  24. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Nice. Crossing my fingers on this particular rumor, then. Indy intertwined with the Space Race is something I'd be all for.

25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Oh boy.

The aliens were one of the things most commonly held against KOTCS, so I'm... skeptical... about a Space Race angle. But I guess we'll see.