main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Lucas sold the Indy rights as well though and is retired. At best he'll offer some ideas.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Couple of years old, but this is the quote from Spielberg

Spielberg’s latest update on Indiana Jones 5 during a press event for The BFG. “George is going to be an executive producer on it with me,” Spielberg said of the swashbuckling archaeologist’s next daring adventure. “I would never make an Indiana Jones film without George Lucas. That’d be insane.”

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  3. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    is that like Lost with the 30 executive producers? :p

cwustudent and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Exec Pro can mean actually doing stuff, sorta depends on context. Mostly it's a formality though, pretty secondary. Spielberg on the Bayformers movies type of deal.

I don't have much doubt Steve's gonna talk to George about it, but seems that'd be about the extent of it unfortunately.

oierem, BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Of note, I did watch the new Clone Wars episode that aired today and the end credit was changed from "Created and Executive Producer George Lucas" to "Created by George Lucas". (even though the episodes themselves were developed while Lucas was still around). Overall, I doubt this movie won't have any involvement from Lucas although how much what he'll be credited for is up to debate. Spielberg got credit on the Transformers movies which he had minimal involvement with the sequels but on the first movie he was the one who picked Bay and apparently Spielberg came up with the core idea of the film that it's about a boy and his first car, except the car is a Transformer hook. So it could be Lucas has a McGuffin/vague storyline idea that everyone else is working on.

The real important thing is, has there been any extra information gleaned from Harrison Ford on the promo tour for Call of the Wild. Saw it today, he's the best thing about it, and while it's not very action heavy, Ford can still do gruff and amusing and determined which is a huge part of Indy anyway. Indy has sidekicks in all his movies, I get the feeling the sidekick may do more of the action stuff this time but Indy can still throw a punch. There's a few references to him getting older in Crystal Skull but not quite a lot, this would probably have more.

christophero30 and Immortiss like this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Ford, “we'll see new developments in his life, his relationship. We'll see part of his history resolved."

Could this be something to do with his mother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    that would be interesting. Re: Call of the wild I may see it Sunday. Ford is getting very good reviews for his performance. Some are criticizing the CGI but Ford still seems up for action. Holy cow Call of Wild is up on Sonic so far at the weekend box office and may do 27 million! This is better than expected.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Jar-Jar Binks and Immortiss like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm seeing it tomorrow

Immortiss and christophero30 like this.
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    it got an A minus with audiences, which is very good. Seems like an old fashioned crowd pleaser.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I’m taking the family tomorrow, too. Looks great and Harrison looks really good these days too. Indy’s back and I’m pleased.

Jar-Jar Binks and christophero30 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    don't know why but this moment in the movie reminded me the most of Indy. Maybe it was just cuz he's talking about maps and getting down on the ground under his own steam

Ford's great in the movie, he narrates it but is really only in the 2nd half of the film so you have to wait for a bit. the CGI dog bounces from believable to dicey pretty much the entire film and never quite stops. It does steal Ford's character's booze, though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  12. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Man, that CG dog for every shot is so unnecessary. [face_laugh]

I get that the book's got some intense stuff in it, but just use a CG dog in the disturbing/rough stuff and a real one for everything else. Actually liking the look of the movie, but the frickin' videogame dog takes me so out of it.

13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I saw it yest.morning. The dog definitely looked fake. Other than that I pretty much liked everything else about it. It's like an old fashioned Disney live action movie. Ford is so good in it; it's his best role in years. Very moving and well done. But yeah; the dog looks fake. No getting around that. Funny to see Downton Abbey good guy Dan Stevens as a villain. The audience clapped after, which is rare. An old fashioned crowd pleaser.

Immortiss likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Reviews in the UK weekend papers I got were favorable - most gave it 3 out of 5 stars. The dog was mentioned prominently and not in the most favorable way. Ford got good press though.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Jar-Jar Binks and Immortiss like this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    LAJ_FETT likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    @Bazinga'd perhaps this played into his decision?

Bazinga'd likes this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think that could have played a very big hand in Spielberg's decision.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I honestly, genuinely, highly doubt it. I think it has more to do with Spielberg, as the director he is in 2020, not having very much interest in doing these kinds of movies anymore. He hasn't really shown that interest in years, and his recent attempts (recent being the past couple of decades) have been halfhearted at best. You can tell he has far more interest in dramas like The Post or Bridge of Spies, or even West Side Story since he's wanted to direct a musical his entire career.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I think this realization for Spielberg came approximately half way through KotCS.

Sarge likes this.
  21. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Bye Indy. Perhaps in a thousand years, even you may be worth something. ;)

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well if Spielberg walked away on his own without outside pressure, can't really do much about it. I do actually love James Mangold. He isn't the first pick I'd think of to take over Indy, I'd rather think that only Spielberg can do it. But if he's Spielberg's pick and his movies are generally great, I would be okay with that. But, yah, Spielberg not making the movie is pretty heartbreaking, I'd love to see him take a crack at it one more time. Although the piece does note that Spielberg wanted to pass it on to another generation, whatever that means.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    R.D. and Immortiss like this.
  23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Mangold co-produced The Call of the Wild, so there’s an interesting, direct connection.

BigAl6ft6 and Django Fett like this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What's the odds Hugh Jackman will be the villain?

Immortiss and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    When was this supposed to begin shooting?