main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 still on the cards?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DarthVaderfan1889

DarthVaderfan1889 Jedi Knight

Oct 20, 2015
    Theres going to be a new movie? o.o

2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah. Picked up on this elsewhere. It is for me, without a doubt, the single best news to come from any-and-all things Lucasfilm post-Disney takeover ...putting an end to all that Prattly Cooper nonsense once and for all. I've already detailed my thoughts on the matter a few pages back; suffice to say, this is the only true way to go with the franchise.

Thank you, Frank Marshal...

[​IMG]

Defensor, TK327 and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The only thing I'm worried about is passing off the torch to another character. I'm kind of hoping it's not Mutt, because although I didn't hate the character (KotCS had many problems, Mutt was not one of them) I don't think he has the same spirit for adventure as Indy, and that's 100% necessary. "If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones." The name "Mutt Williams" does not fit at the end of that sentence.

I've long thought that if they were going to do a soft-reboot, the way to do it would be to utilize a split-narrative in the fifth film. One part would act as a swan song for Harrison's tenure as Indy, and the other part would kickstart the new guy's tenure, who would be playing a pre-Temple of Doom Indy. I figured since they're casting a younger Han Solo for the Anthology film, they might as well use the same actor for Indy just to keep things consistent.

I don't really mind recasting younger, but this creates the problem that you can only continue on like that for so long until you reach the general time period of Temple of Doom. You can't perpetually make these films with the same character, because there are only so many years you can place so many adventures in before either A) It starts to feel ridiculous that the character did this much, B) you run out of years and start superseding the original films, or C) both. Because of the historical setting, you don't get the benefit of a sliding timeline like James Bond has.

I almost think the solution might be to simply not do anymore Indiana Jones movies (despite its faults, the closing moments of KotCS are a nice conclusion for the character), but maybe carry on the "Raiders of the" series name with each film featuring different characters in different settings and time periods, but all possessed of the same devotion to high-octane pulp adventure. I think something like that would get actually me more excited than another film with Ford as an aged Jones or a soft-reboot with a new actor as a younger version of the character. You get a lot of freedom with the Who/What/Where/When/Why, and you allow different directors to leave their mark on the series without encroaching on the territory of the original films.

As far as getting older is concerned and why I don't think a fifth film with an even older Indy would work quite so well, Indiana is less of a "character" and more of a Platonic ideal wish fulfillment embodiment, and I think you lose that aspect entirely as he gets older. And I don't mean that as a criticism; alongside Han Solo, Indiana Jones is my favorite film character. He's like James Bond, but smarter and cooler and less misogynistic. As a contrast, take Han Solo. Seeing him as an old man in The Force Awakens feels appropriate because, despite the space fantasy genre, he feels more like a real person to me than Indiana Jones does. This is because has a very clear character arc throughout the original trilogy. It's evident that he grows from film-to-film, and I think this is something we'll continue to see in The Force Awakens. On the other hand, Indiana has character arcs on a film-by-film basis, but remains relatively static from film-to-film.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "(...) But there’s a bunch of people who could probably take the baton."

Still worried.

Honestly, without Ford, Spielberg, Lucas (and Williams?) it's not the same anymore. They might as well create another franchise.

I'm fine with Crystal Skull being the last one though.

BadCane and BoromirsFan like this.
  5. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    This has been my stance for some time now.

TK327 and PymParticles like this.
  6. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, I still have plenty reservations on the matter myself. I'm actually more willing to bid Star Wars adieu as it morphs from the Saturday matinee vehicle, as driven by Lucas' eccentric formalism, into conventional blockbuster fare, along with whatever other "slicker" trends it'll pickup in the process. Not saying I'm altogether happy with where it's going or what it's shaping into (we'll see) but, at the very least, there was always something a bit more abstract and experimental about the franchise to begin with; something potentially, intrinsically amorphous. Less so with the Indy series, if at all ...in fact, not at all. These movies truly are Republic Serials/Hawks-Curtiz incarnate with their earthbound period travelogue settings, rough 'n' tumble, fisticuffs action style and classic Hollywood visual language—all of for which team Lucasberg had boy-brain intuition, with Spielberg himself possessing the technical craft seemingly within his very DNA.

Bringing in new filmmakers to maintain such standards? [face_worried] That's nearly a Grail quest in and of itself. Most of today's young(er) directors are all born from advertisement, music videos or contemporary television composed of similar sensibilities. Rebooting or re-imagining the Raiders franchise by "updating" or "modernizing" it à la Abrams' Star Trek, even if only to half degrees, entirely defeats the underlying aesthetic-identity purpose of making another Raiders adventure to begin with. New characters and story-lines, yes. There's nothing sacred in the idea of making retro B-serial treasure hunter adventures with A-budget/production quality; it's a wheel that can keep on spinning, indefinitely (albeit in theory). But modern style with moody seriousness and/or flippancy tone? No.

I'd be equally content with the franchise, in whatever name, remaining closed with Crystal Skull. Realistically, though, that's just not gonna happen.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think it's something bad to come from advertising. It's the most available starting point to gain some experience and apply your skills before going into the big game (movies, TV, etc). You gain experience on production, camera work, time constraints, etc... Ridley Scott, for example, started in advertising.

I think the problem with new filmmakers getting control over existing franchises is their positions as fans. I believe being a fan is a drawback on this kind of thing. I would never trust a fan over creative decisions (at least on something so tied to a single person or an handful of people like Star Wars and Indy).

There's always an attempt to emulate (only) what they liked and an inability to take a step back to see if it works or makes sense. Star Wars has always suffered from that, and I fear the same will happen with Indy.

The franchise has yet another problem which is that it's tied to the character. You can't have a spin-off without him. That's why I'd rather have a new franchise than a new interpretation of a character that has already been so well explored by his creators.

8. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    This is same as watching a pro sports boxer fight too many matches past his prime.

Iron_lord and darthtimetraveller like this.
  9. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm glad to hear of another Ford themed Indy film. They seem to have decided long ago that only Ford should be the "modern" Indy and that the franchise would be handed off to others. But the problem with that is:

A) Who are you going to find as a suitable substitute for Indiana Jones in his own franchise?

B) The time period is going to be drastically different for this new character. (Anything post 1950's will definitely have a different feel) Thus, it will probably have even less in common with Indy.

C) I wouldn't have a problem with further "Young-ish Indy" stories. (Heck, the show was over long before he ever got to the good stuff. Like meeting Marcus, Marion, Belloq & Sallah and studying under Abner) but the problem is that window is extremely limited. You can't build a franchise that is to last potentially decades, if it's all set within a narrow 10/15 year period.

So, I'm happy to see another Ford Indy film, but I'm a bit dubious as to what they do once Indy hangs up the fedora.

10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    So a few weeks ago Spielberg brought up Indiana Jones 5 during a Yahoo interview on the Bridge of Spies publicity trail. Now, at yesterday's BAFTA Britannia Awards, in which Ford was awarded the Albert R. Broccoli Britannia Award for Worldwide Contribution to Entertainment, Spielberg brought up a fifth Indy film once again, during a tribute session to Ford.

That's like twice in the past 2-3 weeks Spielberg brings this up, although in neither occasion was it entirely serious, however, could there be something brewing in the works in the background? I sure hope so.

11. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    http://makingstarwars.net/MakingIndy/2015/10/31/spielberg-urges-ford-to-return-for-indiana-jones-5/

Exciting. Spielberg seems to be very excited about it at least. Can't see Harrison turning it down either, he seems to be doing a victory lap of his career with Star Wars, Blade Runner and now Indiana Jones.

TK327 and Darkslayer like this.
  12. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I'd actually love to see a Godfather 2 scenario, where we have flashbacks of a recasted younger Indy, and then current Indy. The flashbacks could match up with the story in the current time, maybe the events in the flashbacks haunting him today, and he has to confront and end the problem. Anyone ever read 'Star Wars: Blood Lines - Jango and Boba Fett'? It'd be somewhat similar to that.

You'd see young, prime Nazi-fighting womanizer Indy we all know and love, as well as older, Harrison Ford Indy on his last adventure.

I really can't see Disney not trying to squeeze as much money out of this franchise as possible, and doing a soft Bond esque reboot is the best way. This could be a slow transition that brings closure to Ford's run as Indy, and welcomes the new actor.

Then again, didn't they try to do exactly that with Mutt Williams?

Sarge likes this.
  13. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I think Ford may have one more Indy film left in him. I'd like to see him do at least one more just to give him a chance to go out on a good note because KotCS sucked large lol.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I liked KOTCS. Sure it could have been better, but I thought it was far superior to Temple of Doom, which I just do not like.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Temple of Doom is perhaps the most polarizing film I have ever encountered. People other love or hate it, and quite often with vigor. It's a film I detested all throughout childhood up until earlier this year when I watched it again for the first time in forever, and this go around I absolutely loved it. It jumped up from last place to second, right behind Raiders.

AndyLGR likes this.
  16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Big fan of first, second, and fourth IJ films & the YIJC TV series.

I liked KOTCS & wouldn't mind seeing just one more film with Ford, but I think that should be it for him. I also wouldn't mind seeing a "prequel" film, either in addition to a 5th Ford film, or instead of a 5th Ford film. Casting will be critical here for a Young Indy - they would have to get someone that would not only be believable as a younger Ford/IJ, but also someone who has the appropriate screen presense. Sean Patrick Flanery was great on the YIJC in the '90's, but is too old to play a young IJ these days.

17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Since they're casting an early-twenties Han Solo for the Anthology film, it'd be interesting to see if they use the same actor to play a younger Indy, just for consistency.

18. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Looks like Spielberg continues to be game for directing another installment with Ford:
    Still no word on Lucas' involvement, though I can't imagine him not making some story-outline contribution, at the very least. Just not sure how that would go over in light of his 'creative consultant' break with Disney/Lucasfilm regarding that other franchise, whose name escapes me at the moment.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If possible, I would definitely be looking forward to it. I know it's not a popular opinion but I think Kingdom was the second best behind Raiders.

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh Gawd...Indy 5?

What tired Stargate SG-1 plot are they going to go for, this time round?

They did the Crystal Skull last time; what next, Replicators?

Indiana: There's a big Wraith in the plane, Jack!

Col. Jack O'Neill: Oh, that's just my pet wraith Reggie.

Indiana: I hate wraiths, Jack! I hate 'em!

Jack: Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya!

leiamoody likes this.
  21. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    After seeing TFA, it is clear that Harrison Ford still has it. Only reaffirms that Indy 5 should happen (with Kasdan writing and without Shia).

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Have there been any more recent interviews with Shia regarding the Indy series?

To outright get rid of him would seem entirely random

I'm all for another Spielberg-directed Indy starring Ford, but story sensibility is good too

Defensor likes this.
  23. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

I would also value some continuity - or at the very least, to set the film before KOTCS. Indy is now married and has a family, I wouldn't like that to be stripped away from him just to regress the character to a more Raiders-like persona.

That being said, I am fine with Shia appearing for a very brief scene, if that's all they want him for.

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They don't owe the characters of Mutt or Marion anything. They can easily ditch them for an Indy 5 (if there is one) and I hope they do ditch them. Its too much baggage. Frankly they were 2 of the big negatives of KOTCS. Get back to basics of Indy with a minimum amount of side kicks.

If Harrison returns for one more, judging by TFA he is capable of putting in another good performance that isn't his grumpy old man persona of recent films.

25. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    What are the chances of this being a young Indiana Jones film cast by the same actor in the Anthology films?

Before Indiana Jones goes after something large like the Ark of the Covenant he does Noah's Ark or something else.