main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinite Possibilities (L/M romance, completed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Oooooooo. Wonderful post. :)

~~Jilly

2. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    One of your best posts Gabri!

Her 'date', as she was now thinking of him, to her mild discomfort, raised one right back. "He's easy to outrun; what more can you ask of a chaperone?"

Hehe, mental image of a giggling Lukie and Mara outrunning a trailing Artoo.

Cannot wait for the dance!

3. HandmaidenKenobi

HandmaidenKenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2003
    Excellent post Gabri_Jade! I just love this story, I think it may be my favorit L/M fic. :)

Maybe she should do that, just for the fun of seeing Leia pass out cold. Once she was revived, Mara could always deny everything and act extremely concerned about the inexplicable hallucinations Leia had suffered from just before her fainting spell.

LOL, I would have liked to see that conversation between Mara and Leia.

I can't wait for the dancing!

(Oh, BTW, I've been following your story almost from the beginning, even though I've only just started posting. ;))

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Wonderful, Gabri_Jade!! I loved the banter and Mara's thought processes prior to Luke' arrival. I really enjoyed Mara's reminiscing over her life in the Imperial Palace prior to the Battle of Endor. I hadn't thought much of what her youth would've been like.

Yes, Leia, you remember when I told you that your brother ruined my life and I was going to murder him for it? Well, I've changed my mind and think I might be falling in love with him instead. Any advice? Mara giggled involuntarily at the thought. Maybe she should do that, just for the fun of seeing Leia pass out cold.

* giggles *

Actually, I don't think Leia would be surprised at all. Although Mara would probably pop a gasket if she realized that!

We've been through a lot together

- Classic line!

"Wait until they see you dance. They'll all be turning green with envy." He mock-frowned as if in deep thought. "Except the ones who are already green. I don't know what color they'll turn."

LOL! That was wonderful! Great lines, there, Skywalker...er, I mean, Gabri!

Who knew a simple stroll down a hallway could be so interesting?

Can't wait to see the ball!

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Jedi_Liz: didn't they skip breakfast?

Nope. We did. Crucial difference. ;) I think the dance will be interesting too...

Inez: I love how they are gradually falling in love and not slobbering all over each other within five minutes.

*giggles*
    I've read a handful of fics where they are, um, 'slobbering all over each other within five minutes', and it just never rang true to me. Any serious relationship requires an emotional connection, and that's not something that happens instantaneously. As it is, things move faster in this story than they probably would in real life. Glad you like it. :D

maramijade: Thank you!

And why do Luke and Mara in your fic remind me so much of my boyfriend and myself????

Now that I just can't answer. You must have an interesting relationship. ;) :)

Rivad_Bacar: I'm glad you liked my brand of humor. :)

I highly enjoy reading fics that show such well thought out introspection, as well as the complexities of a developing relationship.

I may have mentioned before that I'm overly analytical. Nice to know it's good for something. Thank you very much!

Jedi-2B: Oooohhh, mint ice cream! I knew I liked you. ;) I enjoyed seeing your favorite quotes. It's always interesting to see what different people get out of the same story/post.

This last one reminded me of "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from." Wrong, Luke. YOU are the bright center to the universe; especially Mara's universe.

Case in point. I hadn't thought of that at all, and I really like it. :)

And I really liked her and Luke's comfortable teasing of each other, and how Luke can casually bring up subjects like Mara's mission on Tatooine without the least bit of bitterness.

Well, if Luke can see good in someone like Vader, I doubt he'd hold a grudge against Mara for a failed assassination attempt. Especially since he really, really likes her. ;)

The_Hooded_One: Thanks! :D

JainaDurron: Glad you liked it! :)

Jaded Skywalker: Yes, I like the image of Artoo as a chaperone too. Thanks very much! :D

HandmaidenKenobi: I would have liked to see that conversation myself. ;)

Oh, BTW, I've been following your story almost from the beginning, even though I've only just started posting.

I'm flattered -- thank you very much! Happy to have you here. :D

LadyPadme: Thank you!

I really enjoyed Mara's reminiscing over her life in the Imperial Palace prior to the Battle of Endor. I hadn't thought much of what her youth would've been like.

I hadn't either, honestly, until I got to this point in the story and realized how weird it must be for Mara to live in the Palace again with the NR in charge. It had to have been disorienting, don't you think?

Actually, I don't think Leia would be surprised at all. Although Mara would probably pop a gasket if she realized that!

I think you're right, on both counts.

We've been through a lot together

- Classic line!

I couldn't resist. :)

"Wait until they see you dance. They'll all be turning green with envy." He mock-frowned as if in deep thought. "Except the ones who are already green. I don't know what color they'll turn."

LOL! That was wonderful! Great lines, there, Skywalker...er, I mean, Gabri!

*laughs*
    Those lines were born when I wrote the bit about turning green with envy and suddenly remembered the existence of Rodians.

Can't wait to see the ball!

Now I have the picture of Mara in glass slippers stuck in my head. :p

As always, a big thank you to everyone for your feedback. :D

~Gabri

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I also enjoy introspection. It makes it easier to relate to a character. I like how you are building their relationship slowly - very realistic.

ONe of my favorite lines: "With my dazzling charm or a vibroblade?"
    :)

Jedi2B: Glad you enjoyed my story. Ben was fun to write.

7. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    R2? As a chaperone? :p I must admit even I had a vision of Mara and Luke been chased by a twittering droid ;)

8. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I'm too far behind to appropriately comment on all the good stuff, but I loved all three posts very much.

I must say that little couch-snuggling scene was both sweet and exhasperating. Just kiss her, for crying out loud! ;) :p

Well, I guess considering it is Mara we're talking about... poor Luke, he must be particularly bewildered.

I like the added touch of the slight resentment people might feel towards Mara. It would be only natural and much more prevelant in the time frame of this story as opposed to the canon version of their requited love. ;)

Did that make any sense at all? :p

9. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    RebelMom: I also enjoy introspection. It makes it easier to relate to a character.

Agreed. I suppose everyone has a tendency to write what they themselves enjoy reading. I'm very pleased you think their relationship is realistic thus far. :)

ONe of my favorite lines: "With my dazzling charm or a vibroblade?"

Me too. That's one of my favorite lines in the whole story. :D

Sash: *giggles* You know Artoo's sense of duty -- it's as bad as Luke's own. If he thought he should be a chaperone, I have no doubts he'd be very devoted about it. Just a little on the slow side. ;)

Sache8: Good to see you again, Sache!

I must say that little couch-snuggling scene was both sweet and exhasperating. Just kiss her, for crying out loud!

*laughs*
    I live to exasperate my readers. :p Patience, young padawan. You don't really think they'd get this far without something coming of it, do you?

I like the added touch of the slight resentment people might feel towards Mara. It would be only natural and much more prevelant in the time frame of this story as opposed to the canon version of their requited love.

That makes perfect sense, Sache. It's exactly how I feel, and one of the reasons I wanted to set the story in this time frame. Even in Union, there was still some serious opposition to their match; and that was ten years after they'd met and fifteen years after the Emperor's death and the end of Mara's Imperial service. I liked the tension that was added by moving their relationship back to just post-TLC, where the opposition would be stronger. Luke would likely be -- as you so eloquently described him earlier -- 'delightfully oblivious' to it, since he doesn't see any reason to hold Mara's past against her. I think he'd be slower to see that others might; but Mara would undoubtedly be sensitive to it. I'm happy you liked it! :D

~Gabri

10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Luke, Mara, you're in it something big!
    Can't wait to see the party.
    I've got that bit form My Fair Lady stuck in my head:
    "I would have danced all night,
    I would have danced all night,
    And still have begged for more.
    I would have spread my wings
    And done a thousand things
    I've never done before..."
    Makes me think of what Luke and Mara could be feeling at the end of their soirée.

UP!

Laure ;)

11. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    Ooh Gabri, wonderful post! I can't really say anything more than what everyone else has said, darn that I'm late ;) Looks like Luke isn't the only one with a punctuality problem :) Great job!

12. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Just finished a marathon read of this fic and I love it!! There are so few really good Luke/Mara fics out there, and this one is really great. Can't wait for the next post!!

13. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    laurethiel1138: I love My Fair Lady! [face_love] Yes, I think the dance might have a similar effect on them. Good call there. :)

Marawannabe: Thank you! :D Glad you're here, late or not. ;)

Miska: Wow, a marathon read? Really? :D I'm used to being the one saying that, not hearing it. Thank you so much! I'm happy you're enjoying it. :)

Slightly bad news here, guys. My phone line isn't working for some reason, therefore I can't get online. (Right now I'm on my sister's computer, trying to type while my two-year-old niece literally climbs all over me. She's going to be a world-class gymnast someday, I swear.) Since this happened on a Sunday and my phone company isn't the world's most cooperative, unless the phone line miraculously fixes itself by tomorrow morning, I'm going to miss Monday's post. Maybe the Force will be with me and the glitch will self-heal. If not, I'll make it up to you, promise. One way or another, though, I'll keep you updated. [face_plain]

~Gabri

14. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I can servive without that post!!!!!!! AAARRRRRGGGHHH!!! 8-}

Actually very few of my favorite authers are posting so I was really looking forward to omarrow's post, oh well. :(

15. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Ack! Possibility of no Monday post!? RATS!

Rivad sends out maintainance droids to get Gabri's internet connection back up! The dance must go on!!!! ;)

16. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    S'ok, Gabri, take your time, we'll all be here when you get back! ;)

17. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Gabri, that is so understandable. I'll be here ready and whatever once you get it posted - good luck with the phone line!

18. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Grrr....

What happened? A little snow on the telephone lines? j/k

This is a stinky Monday! Two of my favorite fics not on line because of technical difficulties!!!

Well...ready and waiting... :D

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm back! :D Phone's all fixed, and I am once again connected to the outside world. *heaves sigh of relief* Thanks for understanding, everyone. The maintenance droids were a nice touch, too. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) Technically, it's still Monday, right? So without further ado, I give you the next post.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Eleven

Luke couldn't remember the last time he'd actually enjoyed himself at one of the state occasions. The Force knew he had to attend them often enough, given his status with the Alliance and now the Republic, but he still felt awkward about it. A state party was a far cry from the pilots' parties he was more accustomed to. Leia thrived on them -- but then, she'd grown up in an atmosphere like this. The pilots invited to these occasions were few and far between these days, so Luke rarely had any close friends present. Mostly he smiled, mingled, tried to avoid Leia's attempts to set him up, and generally wished for the whole thing to be over.

Now though, with Mara at his side, he was learning that it might be possible to have fun at a state occasion. Mara had a keen sense of humor that only a privileged few ever saw; and Luke loved watching her expressive eyes laugh to his over the absurdities inherent in such an event. They danced often enough to make Luke suspect that she missed dancing more than she'd admitted, and all eyes followed them when they did. Luke decided (almost objectively) that Mara was by far the best dancer in attendance; and was profoundly grateful for the tutoring that made it possible for him to partner her without feeling irredeemably foolish. He also decided that mingling was much easier when you had someone beside you to keep the conversation going when your own inventiveness faltered. Yet another latent talent Mara harbored.

Threading his way through the crowd, he caught sight of her again. She was in an almost secluded alcove positioned decoratively near one of the corners of the massive room, talking with Leia and Winter. He reached out intangibly to read them with the Force, smiling ironically to himself as he did so. Ten years ago, he hadn't even heard of the Force. Now he was a full-fledged Jedi Knight who used it instinctively, almost unconsciously. Amazing, the unexpected twists and opportunities life could offer. And if Mara was one of those unexpected opportunities, as he was beginning to suspect, she was one he was determined not to let slip away.

All three women looked up at him as he joined them, handing Mara the drink he'd procured for her. "Why are you all lurking in the corner over here?" he asked curiously.

Mara shook her head at him. "You're such a diplomat, Luke."

Winter's silvery eyebrows lifted slightly at her use of his given name, and she traded a surprised glance with Leia. Fortunately for her peace of mind -- and the rest of his evening, Luke thought -- Mara missed the furtive exchange. "Import limit. One diplomat per family. Why are you all hiding?"

Leia grimaced. "Trying to avoid Fey'lya. He and I had another polite 'disagreement' the other day, and he's still trying to convince me of the correctness of his viewpoint."

"It's a real shame I've retired from the assassination business," Mara said speculatively. "I could have taken care of him for you."

Luke grinned at her, noticing that Leia looked genuinely shocked while Winter appeared to be muffling a laugh. Funny, he'd have expected the reverse.

"I hardly think that'll be necessary, Mara," Leia said, brown eyes still a little wide.

"That's good, because I wouldn't do it anyway," Mara said, very mildly indeed for her. "Gave up that line of work years ago."

"Not to mention that such an easy target would probably wound the professional pride of any assassin," Luke added, somewhat annoyed with his sister for not catching Mara's joke.

Mara's green eyes sparkled up at him. "Exactly." She took a sip of her drink, then regarded her glass thoughtfully. "The catering staff seems to have discovered originality at last.

20. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Luke, you naughty little boy! Those hands!

Isn't it funny how possessive men can get around their women?

Goofy, sleepy smiles through the whole post, Gabri_Jade.

Of to bed...

21. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Does this mean you've defeated Darth Computer Problems, Gabri? Hope so!

Great part :D

Lando is always good for inducing jealousy in Luke :p

Is Leia's humorless behavior a portent of things to come? Hope not, for Mara's sake!

Now what is it that M/L said they would not do that they are now doing? Flirting? I will have to go back and read the last couple of posts to see what I missed.

Astro

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm surprised Leia didn't get the joke. Loved Luke's comeback about Fey'lya being an easy target. Oooh, a little possessiveness on Luke's part. And Mara didn't complain. I like!

23. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Umm... I have an admission to make. I am a lurker or this thread. [face_shocked]

The reason I lurk is that I know next to nothing about Luke/Mara and prefer Han/Leia. [face_love]

However, this is a very well written story and the characterisations seem to be accurate, although I don't know much about Mara. I may not comment, but I will still be readig this wonderful work. :)

*resumes lurking*

24. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Let them flirt :D

And Leia better wake up and take Mara for who she is, you'd think she'd know her sence of humor. I hope she doesn't decide to meddle.

Loved the scene with Lando, always fun to make him uncomfortable :D

Can't wait for more!!!

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    wonderful post!

I think Luke should have done something to make it appear like He and Mara are a REAL couple, to make Lando squim away. ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.