main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinite Possibilities (L/M romance, completed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    Awwww so sweet to see Luke bouncing a baby .. awww... such a kodak moment. ;) And uh oh I think Leia's on to their scent.. now that Leia's got wind of it... woo boy... theres no escaping it.
    Last post coming up.... sigh... but thats ok... this story has been briliant from the start and i guess I owe it not to start bawling.... [holding back tears]
    sniff sniff... (but I'm not crying... this thing got in my eye I swear...... why am I crossing my fingers?.. ummmm... its an ancient custom.. to.. umm..... well..... wish the receipant of this message many plot bunnies so she can write again? )

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great brother/sister interaction. Luke can't hide anything from Leia. :)

3. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    A wonderful post. Loved it, loved it. :)

~~Jilly

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    SoG is updated, Gabi!

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Jedi_Liz: was that Jaina/Mara stuff inspired by anything?

The Mara/Jaina relationship is something that has been picked up and expanded upon by quite a few authors, profic and fanfic; and I think that's a marvelous thing. It makes perfect sense to me that Mara would be especially fond of Jaina and Jacen, since she did save their lives. In this case, I got to thinking how alien family is to Mara. Luke and Leia are both very accustomed to the idea of family -- Mara's never experienced the concept. I just thought that the simple act of holding a baby in a peaceful setting like that would throw her off-guard, which is what I needed there. Glad you liked it, and the Luke/Leia interaction as well. :)

Marawannabe: There you are! *hugs* Good to see you. :D Sorry RL is giving you a hard time, dear. Hope it's not too hectic. What musical, btw? Are you in a play? Sounds interesting. Glad you liked the post. :)

Astro: Thank you!

Luke's warning Mara about Jaina's diaper (or whatever they have in the GFFA) was pretty funny.

*grins*
    Well, they have to have something similar, at least. How many variations can there be on that theme?

But I look forward to the final post -- where I hope their relationship will come out in the open!

*shrugs noncomittally*
    We'll see. ;)

Emmi: Thank you, dearest! Loved the SoG update. :D

Rivad: Oh, and next Monday's post was wonderful! Unfortunately, the time machine malfunctioned and I was forced to repeat a month of Mondays! :eek:

LOL! I knew I liked you. The best way I've found to make machines cooperate is to be nice to them. They don't like to be kicked. Just don't go scattering spoilers about Monday's post to the rest, okay? ;)

Jaded Skywalker: Thank you, Jaded! Pleased you liked it. :)

As well as that moment Lukie and Mara shared

They're still at that new relationship stage where they're easily distracted. I've seen its likes before.

The_Jedi_Obi-Solo: Thanks! Well, Leia does know her brother pretty well -- not to mention being Force-sensitive and having spent years being trained to read between the lines, aka diplomacy. How long did Luke and Mara really think they could keep it a secret? ;)

jade_stone: Sounds like my friend Sharon when she repetedly tries to get me and my ex back together.

Hmmmm....can't say that was exactly the effect I was going for, but hey, whatever works. ;)

JainaDurron: Thanks, Jilly! Glad you liked it.

Sash: now that Leia's got wind of it... woo boy... theres no escaping it.

Yeah, Leia's tenacious. :D

this story has been briliant from the start and i guess I owe it not to start bawling....

Thank you...but bawling? :eek: Don't cry! *hands Sash fresh tissues* Nothing to cry about, really!

its an ancient custom.. to.. umm..... well..... wish the receipant of this message many plot bunnies so she can write again?

*grins and hugs Sash*
    There aren't many nicer things you could wish for an author, even an amateur one. I hope I get many plot bunnies too. *sets out plot bunny bait* I'll let you know if it works. ;)

RebelMom: Thank you, Mom. :D Like Mara said, Luke's a lousy liar. Probably only Mara herself sees through him better than Leia.

Two days until the finale. :D

~Gabri

6. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Two days?

I've appeared just in time, then. ;)

Wonderful story, Gabri. I loved how you developed the relationship between Luke and Mara - far less abrupt than in VOTF (though I loved that book). I even like Leia's reaction to the whole thing - like she's not quite sure if this is a good idea. And Luke, of course, plays innocent. ;) That devious farmboy! :p

I can't wait for the rest. :)

7. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    *delurks*

I'm still here!

*resumes lurking*

8. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ChinchillaFairy

ChinchillaFairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    Lol, Mara reminds me so much of myself. I also am totally awkward around babies and little children. Nice post, can't wait till next one!

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *grins* More more more!

Gabi, remember when we were talking about plot bunnies? Check your PMs...I just got an AWESOME idea...

11. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    I'm in The Pirates of Penzance, Gabri, great fun! You know what I just realized??? I leave for CO tomorrow, so I won't be able to read the finale until I get back next Friday!!! *sobs* That's a real bummer. *pouts*

Oh well, have fun without me, bye!

12. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Gabri: *huffs and puffs catching up*

Well, one compensation for being away is two lovely posties when I come back! Will comment on posts in order:

Monday post

Definitely back in the land of the shivers and sighs and silly grins. THEY JUST TALKED??? Luke! Wake up! (smacks Skywalker upside the head for being slow to make a move). On the other hand, really enjoyed the delicate dance that Mara and Luke do with each other wanting to say it and despite all their Jedi blah-blah not being able to say the big four-letter word! Lovely!

Friday post

Loved the Luke/Leia! It was a sweet domestic scene, and I'm glad you wrote Leia to be very welcoming toward Mara. Mara seems very skittish around Leia, almost as though she expects rebuff. How sweet that Leia threw Jaina in her arms!

Now, must say, that as far as I can tell, this fic could use a good, ten or twenty more posts to really make it come to a satisfying conclusion (any others to back me up?)

Sigh...will eagerly await Monday's post. Great work, Gabri!!

13. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    I love the way Leia meddles. . .

and that was sooo classically Mara!!!! I don't think she held a baby until Ben was born. . .

Hahahahah Leia Knows . . . Leia Knows. . .

heheheheh

:D

14. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    I back you up LadyPadme. I find Luke/Mara fics a little scary to get into and I will miss this one when it's gone :(

15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    oba: Good to see you! *hugs*

I loved how you developed the relationship between Luke and Mara - far less abrupt than in VOTF (though I loved that book).

Thanks! I'm definitely with you there -- I also loved VotF, but there's no denying the relationship was abrupt. From "I guess I really do like you after all" to "I'm pretty sure I more than like you" to "Will you marry me?" in nearly one fell swoop. Some more development would have been lovely. Pleased to have you with us for the grand finale, dear. :)

crystalrain: *grins* Thanks for delurking. I do love knowing that people are reading.

I find Luke/Mara fics a little scary to get into and I will miss this one when it's gone

Thank you, but don't be scared of them. There are bunches of good ones out there, and I'll admit that some of my own favorites are H/L. Just find a promising one and jump right in. You'll probably love it; especially if Han and Leia are supporting characters. ;)

The_Hooded_One: I can always count on you, can't I? :D

ChinchillaFairy: *grins* Glad you liked it.

Emmi: You most definitely are Queen of the Plot Bunnies, dearest. :D

Marawannabe: Ooohh, The Pirates of Penzance! Now that has got to be fun. Hope it's not too stressful for you, dear. Have lots of fun. I'll look for you next Friday. ;)

LadyPadme: *tackle hugs* So good to have you back! If I made you shiver, it must be good. :D

THEY JUST TALKED??? Luke! Wake up! (smacks Skywalker upside the head for being slow to make a move).

LOL! I adore your take on things, I really do. Would you make a move on an accomplished assassin unless you were pretty sure they'd welcome it? I'm glad you liked their little "You say it first" routine. :)

Mara seems very skittish around Leia, almost as though she expects rebuff.

Bingo. Excellent call. :D

How sweet that Leia threw Jaina in her arms!

Since when has Leia ever taken no for an answer? Very pleased indeed to have your approval for the big Leia scene. :)

I'll keep an eagle eye out for more plot bunnies, I promise; but I hope you'll think the ending is satisfactory anyway. I'm usually terrible at ending a story, but I really like how this one turned out. Hope you do too. :)

maramijade: I'm happy you liked it. :)

I don't think she held a baby until Ben was born. . .

Unless she'd held Jacen, Jaina, or Anakin, I think you're absolutely right. Where else would she have had the opportunity with her life?

Hahahahah Leia Knows . . . Leia Knows. . .

*grins*

Please forgive any errors here, spelling or otherwise. I'm up too late even for me, and the words are starting to blur. I'll attempt to be more coherent next time. ;)

~Gabri

16. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    One of the downsides about being out of town for two days -- no internet access. At least I knew this latest post would be waiting for me. Good job -- cute and funny. Babies usually steal the show, but in this case, hidden romances do a pretty good job, too.

Wow, this green that just popped up is almost blinding!

17. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Jedi-2B: You're back too! *hugs* :D

The green is somewhat...vivid, isn't it? Thanks for braving it to post here. :p

I'm glad you liked Friday's post! Yes, babies always do seem to steal the show, don't they? Either because they're being extraordinarily cute or wreaking extraordinary havoc -- like the time my niece deftly pulled a pitcher of Hawaiian Punch off the counter and promptly dumped it all over her head, not to mention the kitchen floor. I wish I'd had a camera to catch the expression on my sister's face. :D But you're right, in this case the underlying tensions were fairly front and center too. Hope you like tomorrow's post as well.

You'll notice I didn't say 'last post'. I think I'm getting a bit sentimental myself. *sighs*

~Gabri

18. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    What's with the Irish Jedi Council? It's all green!!! :confused:

EDIT: Oh, It's St Patrick's day.

19. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I can handle the green above the black, red and orange we had during Halloween. THAT was hard to read. (This is just a dlimsy disguise to up this fic.)

~~Jilly

20. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Post today!!!!!!

21. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    *perks up*.. Post today??? ,..... *takes out popcorn and hand out m&m's for the long wait* So bring it on!!!!

22. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    crystalrain: Yes, it is green. Unmistakably, blindingly green....

JainaDurron: *laughs* I never thought I'd have a fic that anyone would care enough about to up at all, flimsy excuse or otherwise. Thanks. :) You're right, the Halloween colors were horrid. I kind of liked the pink and red V-Day color scheme, myself. :p

The_Hooded_One: *grins*

Sash: It's coming, it's coming --ooohh, M&Ms! :D

23. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Without further ado, I give you the final installment. A huge thank you to everyone who's been reading this! If you've been lurking, now would be a wonderful time to join us. We don't bite, really. :) Hope you enjoy the ending.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Fifteen

Mara watched the complex web of lights that was Coruscant after sunfall, only peripherially aware of what her eyes were telling her. Luke would be here soon, and she had to project calm. No, more than that. She had to feel calm. He would know if she was merely acting. Easier said than done, though.

The door off to the side opened, and Mara tried to ignore the thrill of pleased expectation that shot through her at Luke's arrival. Calm. Yeah, right. So calm, you didn't even sense him coming.

"We always seem to wind up on the roof, don't we?" Luke asked as he joined her at the railing.

"The psychologists would probably have a field day," Mara answered flippantly. "'Latent desire for supremacy', or some such nonsense."

She couldn't see his smile in the dim lighting, but she knew it was there just the same. "Maybe we're both just antisocial." He fell silent. "You canceled practice."

"I had a last minute meeting."

"No, you didn't."

It was a simple statement; not a shred of accusation could be found in his voice. So why did guilt spring to life at his words? "We have more to talk about than can be discussed over crossed sabers."

"We didn't have anything so pressing to discuss last night, or this morning. And if something had come up, we could have foregone practice and talked then. You weren't ready to face me."

"So what if I wasn't?" she snapped. If he dared to bring up that 'anger is of the dark side' maxim again...

He took her hand, his manner gentler than ever. "Mara, is all of this just because Leia suspects something?"

Mara's anger vaporized before it was even fully formed. She could never stay angry with him when he became gentle and concerned like this, no matter how hard she tried. It would be like kicking a whisperkit. Blast him, how did he always know how to disarm her? "She knows, Luke."

"She suspects," he corrected softly. "She doesn't know until one of us confirms it."

"Or until she walks in on us in a liplock, I suppose," Mara tossed back in a halfhearted attempt at mockery.

Luke's voice was tinted with unspoken laughter. "We'd know if she was coming."

"Aren't you just the embodiment of reassurance."

"Mara, what does it matter if she suspects? We didn't intend to keep our relationship a secret forever."

"There shouldn't even be a relationship between us," Mara said sharply, before her resolve faltered.

"You don't mean that," Luke said with utter calm.

"Yes, I do!"

"Open yourself to the Force, and then tell me we aren't meant to be together. I'll walk away and never bother you again."

"Does it ever occur to you that other people figure these things out without the Force?" Mara snapped.

"Of course." He grinned irrepressibly at her. "Isn't it nice that sometimes we get hints?"

Mara almost laughed; it came out sounding more like a sob, and she hated herself for showing any weakness. "It was a mistake."

"No, it wasn't."

"Blast it, Luke! Why can't you see what's right in front of your face?"

He caught both her hands as she tried to spin away from him, holding her fast. "I do see what's right in front of my face, and I'm not letting her go."

She tried to pull her hands away -- without success; he had a serious grip on her. "You're a Jedi, a hero of the Rebellion -- I served the Empire! The Emperor, personally! Do you know how many people I've killed?"

Luke sighed, exasperation evident. "How many times do we have to go through this? That's in the past, and as far as I'm concerned you can't be held responsible for it anyway. And just for the record, I've killed more people than you ever have, or ever will. You probably know the numbers better than I do. How many people were aboard the first Death Star?"

All the air seemed to go out of Mara.

24. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Me again. As a thank you to all my wonderful readers, I've been saving a new Luke/Mara vignette for this very occasion. A Pocketful of Mumbles can be found on our shiny new Beyond the Saga board. Hope you like. :D

25. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *jumps up and down*

Yay yay yay!

Gabri, I congratulate you. You've accomplished something I've yet to do--finish a long story. And it was delightful! I'll (no doubt, no joke) definetly be returning to it again and again when I have a bad day (like today) *huggies*

*SIGH* That Mara's a lucky girl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.