main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinite Possibilities (L/M romance, completed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful post. Looking into Mara's psyche was very cool. She has the hots for him. She just needs to admit it. ;)

~~Jilly

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Mara caught her breath suddenly, shocked. Luke? He was Luke, now? Just a slip, she thought reflexively, backing away from the frightening thought. She'd been in the Palace too long, been near Luke -- Skywalker, damn it! -- around his family and friends too often. Her subconscious mind had simply picked up on what she'd heard for three months. It didn't mean a thing. - Gabri_Jade, I actually had palpitations and shivers when I read that...there was something so profound, like a turning point in that statement...wow! The way you write Mara, I can totally see her point of view. Love it!!

- counting the hours until Friday....

3. DarthKimballDreamer

DarthKimballDreamer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2002
    Wow...I am so highly impressed! BRILLIANT look into the "inner Mara"...you write her so vividly, really capturing all the conflict. Funny how it is the small things like a name that can cause so much change in a person! Again, amazingly done, can't wait for more!
    ~**Kimball**~

4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Jedi_Liz: Thank you! But it's more a question of whether or not she'll accept the invitation. We all know how stubborn Mara can be. ;)

Astrowoman: Mara has changed tremendously, hasn't she? You've read Remnant already? [face_envious] I haven't even bought it yet. I wonder if I can make it to the bookstore tomorrow... I always try hard not to pester authors myself -- however much I may want to. *sighs* But don't worry about pressuring me (though I appreciate your thoughtfulness). :) It's kind of a moot point with this story. ;) (See response to Jedi-2B below.)

RebelMom: Ah... *basks in the warm glow of RM's praise* There's nothing like Mom's approval. Thanks. :D

I like how she realized that it was the Emperor's hate and not her own regarding Luke.

Being used like that has got to be incredibly hard for anyone to come to grips with, don't you think? Even as determined as Mara is, she desperately needs time to simply think and sort things out. Glad you liked it. :)

Marawannabe: And so it begins...

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. ;) Thanks! Hope you had a good day at work.

The_Hooded_One: Thanks! :D

Jedi-2B: You're brave, setting deadlines like that.

Oh, no, I'm not. If I were brave, I'd have e-mailed you about Pledge a long time ago as you so accurately point out I should have. If I'm too timid to e-mail someone I don't know personally, do you really think I'd start posting a story I haven't finished? I don't have anywhere near that faith in my muse. She's very inconstant. I assure you, Infinite Possibilities is complete. I'm only finishing up the final editing and proofreading.

And the only reason I'm not asking about Book 3 is that you just answered my primary question, namely: Will there be a Book 3? I'm so pleased you're at least thinking about it. That's a great little AU you've worked up there; it deserves to be continued. I understand what you mean. If I spent less time reading, I'd get a lot more written too. [face_rueful]

Sache8: The flow of Mara's thoughts was so well-paced and natural.

Thank you so much!

The bit about the last command being fulfilled and still not being able to get him out of her head was particularly fun, IMHO.

Mara likes things to be black and white. She's not used to having gray areas in her life yet. They annoy her. ;)

JainaDurron: Looking into Mara's psyche was very cool.

What can I say? Mara has a cool psyche.

She has the hots for him. She just needs to admit it.

*laughs*
    I think it'll be a long time before she's ready to phrase it like that.

LadyPadme: I actually had palpitations and shivers when I read that...

You're kidding. Really? :eek: Wow. I never thought it would have that kind of effect. But you're right, it is a profound turning point for Mara. Did you ever notice in Zahn's Thrawn trilogy that every time we're reading from Mara's POV, Luke is referred to as Skywalker -- until the last chapter of TLC? Then he's Luke. When exactly did that change take place? Granted, I've pushed it back here for dramatic purposes; but in my view that's when Mara starts to view him as a real individual, not just an enemy. I wanted to explore her feelings when her conscious mind finally realized what was going on. I'm very happy it was so effective! :D

DarthKimballDreamer: You know, the really fantastic thing about Mara as a character is that she does have all that inner conflict. Extraordinarily fertile writing ground. Very few people could have endured and overcome the things Mara has in her life; and she's still very young, if you think about it. At any given time, there has to be a tremendous amount going on in her head. As an overly - analytical - armchair - psychologist - amateur - writer, I just can't get enough of her. :D Glad my ramblings on her behalf are making sense. :) Thanks very much for the kind remarks!

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    No, I wasn't kidding...I was in the middle of making my dinner with my laptop propped up on the counter top, and right in the middle of chopping bok-choy, I read that line, and had the shivers. I really enjoyed that post! Are you positive you can't post any faster???

6. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Gabri where have you been hiding all this talent? I love your thoughts on Mara's relationships. :)

Just to let you know, I have finished Pledge and it was very good. I already emailed Jedi-2B about it. :p Get to reading, girl! LOL, I'm more of a reader than a writer too, so I completely understand both of you on that subject. I only started posting my story before it was finished because I got impatient. I'm still writing it.... *sigh*

*toasts Gabri and Jedi-2B with Coke* Here's to our muses, wherever they are. ;)

inez

7. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    LadyPadme: Right in the middle of chopping bok-choy, no less! Now that's multi-tasking. :p Bok-choy is fun to say. Right up there with falafel and couscous. :D As far as posting faster, I might be willing to toss out an extra post now and then. I have to think about where it would have the best dramatic effect. [face_devil]

Inez: where have you been hiding all this talent?

[face_blush] Where you were hiding yours before you started posting I'd Do It All Again, I imagine. Thanks. :)

Get to reading, girl!

Hey, I read chapters 6 - 15 in one sitting! Doesn't that count for something? :p I know, I know. *looks at clock* The night is still young. Perhaps I'll head over there now.

*returns Coke toast* Now if only they'd show their creative little faces a bit more often. ;)

8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    *rushes in, panting*

*stumbles over a strategically placed stick*

Hey! Who did that?!?!

Sorry I'm late, Gabi! Been having some major computer problems!

At the very edge of sleep, Mara recalled the brief surge of emotion that had earlier prompted her to assure Skywalker that she wouldn't join Organa Solo in matchmaking, and wondered at it; but some realizations were still too frightening to contemplate, and introspection too new to her to delve so deeply. Thoroughly exhausted at last, Mara slipped peacefully into slumber.

'Nuff said. I'm out of compliments, Gabi. You're just great, and that's all there is to it. ;)

9. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    There's my Emmi! :D No need to run, dearest. The thread's not going anywhere.

*hugs Emmi* Computer problems stink. My sister's been having them lately too. Isn't it amazing how much we all rely on these machines? And thank you. :)

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
  11. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    :mad: I am protesting. Did anybody else but me notice that L/M are NOT represented in the Valentine's banner NOR the Valentine's icons? :mad:

inez

12. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    I did indeed, Inez. What exactly were they thinking, do you suppose? All the couples of the Skywalker family up there except Luke and Mara? I admit to bafflement.

13. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    As much as I feel the chagrin of the group, there is still one little issue of their being no real images of L/M to put up. It looks to me as if the banner was made in PhotoShop, it's easier to blend pictures together, which is probably the reason that Luke and Mara were not represented.

14. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    I LOVED the Luke/Skywalker slip. Says so much with so little! Very sneaky of you... :p Great job Gabri! Looking forward to more!

15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    That may be true, Mara, but there are many images of Luke and Mara separate, if not together. They could have been represented. Maybe they're not because Mara is EU, not movie? ?[face_plain] They're my favorite SW couple regardless. [face_love]

Thanks, Jaded! It's always the little things that trip you up, isn't it? More tomorrow. :)

16. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    It's tomorrow!

17. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    The_Hooded_One: *grins* It is indeed. Here you go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 5

The next morning, it took longer than usual for Mara to respond to Luke's knock; and she was rubbing her neck when she eventually appeared.

"Didn't you say there were Jedi techniques for pain relief?" she asked without preamble.

"I may have mentioned that, yes." Luke eyed her. "Are you all right?"

"Aside from my apparent lack of common sense, just fine."

Luke glanced around the apartment. "It doesn't look like you've been practicing with your lightsaber in here."

Mara sank into the nearest chair and closed her eyes. "Nothing so productive. Fell asleep on the couch like an idiot. Stiff neck."

"Oh. You don't need the Force for that one." He came to stand behind her. "Lift your hair."

She jerked forward and looked at him warily. "What are you doing?"

"You know perfectly well," he said, amused. "I'm an X-wing pilot, Mara. You think I don't know about stiff necks?"

Mara relaxed only marginally. "I guess hyperspace jumps in a snubfighter would do that to a person."

"You got it." He laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Would you sit back, already?" The caution returned to her eyes and he sighed. "Look, we both know you're better at hand to hand combat than I am. If I were to try anything, you could take me out easily."

A slightly crooked smile appeared on her face, bringing a smile to Luke's own in response. He really loved being able to make Mara smile.

"It's not that," she said, raising a hand to her shoulder to rest momentarily on his. "I know you wouldn't try anything -- and I know I could take you down if you did. But it's not like the teacher not to leap at giving a lesson on the Force."

"Lesson number one: For some things the old-fashioned way is still best." Luke put his other hand on her other shoulder and pulled her gently back. "Come on, Mara, trust me. It'll only take a minute."

She hesitated another moment, then sighed deeply, gathering her hair together and pulling it over her shoulder in front of her. Luke smiled at the sigh as he began to massage the knots out of her neck and shoulders. Maybe she'd picked up a habit or two from him, as well. Then he realized that she had in fact had to gather her hair together. She hadn't worn it in her customary braid today. She'd left it down. He thought that he liked it better this way.

"Anyway," he said, mostly to distract himself, "I get the feeling that we shouldn't use the Force too often for trivial matters. Ben and Yoda never did."

"Hmm," Mara replied absently, eyes closed. "We'll see how trivial it is when it's your stiff neck."

Luke gave a brief snort of laughter. "Then you can return the favor." Mara started to turn and glare at him, but he caught her head in both hands and turned her forward again. "You're only prolonging the whole process, you know. But you're right, I should start showing you some of the pain suppression techniques. Remind me." He gave her shoulders a final squeeze. "Better?"

Mara sighed again, then tilted her head back to look at him. "You're good, Skywalker, I'll give you that."

He grinned at her, fighting the urge to lean over and kiss her forehead. She'd really kill him. "You're welcome."

Reluctantly, Mara rose. "Well, let's get moving. Oh, before I forget, I have business meetings all day tomorrow. We'll have to skip the lessons for that day."

"All right," Luke said, despite the flash of disappointment her words caused. "But speaking of tomorrow, Leia and I were thinking that the four of us could go out to dinner tomorrow night. Would you be up for that?"

"Four of us?" Mara asked suspiciously, even though Luke was certain she knew who would comprise the four.

"You, me, Han, Leia." Luke paused teasingly. "Of course, if you'd rather have dinner for two, I'm game."

Her Force sense displayed a trace of...embarrassment? Was that really what he was getting?

"Four is just fine, thank you," Mara snapped, then hesitated. "Why am I included

18. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    *shivers* Gah, neck half-mush... Wonderful post Gabri! I really liked this one, and I don't exactly know why. I loved the massage... in fact, I want one... *looks around for any available guy... there should be plenty... it is V-Day after all ;)*

And Mara trusts him! Yay! It may not be much, but it is something ;) I'll take that hint! [face_love]

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    good post! :D :D

I liked Luke giving her a shoudler massage. [face_mischief]

(p.s. I'll have a post on my story sometime this afternoon...... ;) )

20. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    I liked that a lot :)

Sorry -- I would say more but I'm in a rush to get back to RL (work, that is). Wish wish wish I could just surf the boards for the afternoon!

I will say that I look forward to reading Leia's behaviour. Will she be all for L/M together? I hope so!

Astro

21. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Mara sighed again, then tilted her head back to look at him. "You're good, Skywalker, I'll give you that."

You betcha! This was so sweet, Gabri, and perfect for Valentine's Day. The only downside to your posts is that they're too short. And I'm still waiting to witness an intimate dance lesson going on.

22. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Well the above posts said it all!!!!! :D

23. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I want Lukie to give *me* a neck rub!

You know what?

I hate Valentine's day. Guys are so all-fired complicated. Good thing there's always L/M stories. ;) Especially those written by the marvelous Gabi! ;)

24. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    "You, me, Han, Leia." Luke paused teasingly. "Of course, if you'd rather have dinner for two, I'm game."

LOL, Lukie, Lukie... I tell ya- we should have a game here. Who, Lukie or Mara, spills their heart first. They were both dangerously close!

Great V-day post! Looking forward to more! Double V-day post in my Under the Desert Suns too, Gabri!

Hope Everyone has a great V-Day!

25. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *RM holds hair up and waits for message*

Sigh. Anyway. Lovely post. I can't wait to see the dance lesson. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.