main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Infinite Possibilities (L/M romance, completed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I couldn't resist...

"Any time, Mara clan Jade," Han drawled.

"Shut up, Han clan Solo," Mara answered unhesitatingly.

ROTFLOL! Han and Mara banter is always the best. (Next to Luke and Mara banter, of course.;) ) Skywalkers sure choose interesting soulmates, huh?

Leia shook her head benignly over them all. "Let's all try to act like grownups tonight, shall we?"

Hehehehe. Leia, Leia, Leia. When will you ever have some fun? ;)

Let her make of it what she would.

Let it be known that this is my favorite line of the whole story. Luke knows there is a good chance she'll take that as an "I like you" sort of thing, and he doesn't care! Now that is the reckless farmboy we all know and love. It shows he's getting closer and closer to being more open with his feelings.

Words are amazing, aren't they? So few of them, yet there is so much meaning.

"We're waiting, Leia," Luke said, with an edge in his voice that had very rarely been directed at his twin. Han looked startled at his tone, and even Leia's expression was touched with surprise, though she had to have felt at least some of his and Mara's emotions.

Ooh. A glimpse of not Luke the Jedi, Luke the X-wing pilot, or Luke the Farmboy, but a glimpse of Luke as a man. Purely and simply. There was a strength there that you don't often see in most fanfics, coming from him.

Luke cut her off abruptly. "What?!" He shoved aside his plate of the citros snow cake Wedge had introduced him to years earlier, anger beginning to mount. "Who would dare -- if Fey'lya is behind this, I'll --"

Mara suddenly came out of her deep freeze to lay a small but strong hand on his arm and shake her head sharply at him. "Don't, Luke. It isn't worth it."

"Isn't worth it?" Luke all but spat. "I was military for years, Mara; I know the penalty for a war crimes charge. If you think I'm going to let them do that to you --"

Okay. Stop. Rewind. *reads that again* There is so much good there I just had to go over it again.

Point One- Luke is angry. Also something you see out of him rarely. I like him angry. It's such a refreshing change from the passive 'there is no emotion, there is peace' Jedi you see in the books. If Fey'lya is behind it, you'll do what, Luke? I'd really like to know what he was going to say then.

Point Two-Luke is being protective. Okay, I know, since when is that new? But this is a more active kind of protective. He's not asking her how she's feeling. He's not worried about her because she's sick, or hurt. He's threatening to do something about it if the situation is or has not already been remedied. He's showing that if he has to defy the authorities "If you think I'm going to let them do that to you-" to protect Mara, he will. With or without her permission. I love your Luke, Gabi. I've plainly been reading too much NJO lately, because this is hitting me like a burst of cold air in the heat. I love it!

Point Three-Luke and Mara are already acting like a couple, even if it is unconscious. Mara's hand on his arm, Luke's fierce protection of Mara, and Mara putting up with that protection...all of those things are showing the start of a relationship. And I dare say Han and Leia can see it even if Luke and Mara can't.

"I hope so," Mara said very, very softly. "Because if they have evidence of half the things I've done, I'd be sentenced to death before the week was out."

Luke's anger bubbled up again at her words, and he didn't think to stop it. "You were kidnapped and brainwashed from childhood. Palpatine's orders were all you'd ever known -- not to even mention that you're Force-sensitive and he was an incredibly powerful Sith lord. How were you even supposed to know that what he told you was wrong, let alone defy him? You were as much a victim as anyone he ordered you to kill, and I would have testified to that."

More of the same Luke above. And Mara's words here were very touching. To admit that in front of Luke and his fa

2. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Ah, they're such a couple! Loved Lukie's uncharacteristic outlash... really added to the tension you were building. The simple actions such as a mind nudge, holding arms, saying the word "we" can convey so much more than long-winded detailing. Great job Gabri! Looking forward to more. :)

3. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    First and foremost, great chapter! Made my day, again....this time I had to go to school, so it was not pleasant >.<

Thank you -- but snow? *shudders* You have my utmost sympathies. I've spent most of my life in either southern California or central Arizona. Anything under 80 degrees is cold in my book. Below 60, we're talking arctic. Below freezing, and that's it; I'm hibernating until spring. Be sure you stay warm.

I love the snow....but 60 is arctic? geez, it's like 38 here, and it's the warmest it's been in days.....

4. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    *applauds* Gabri! That post was all sorts of great! I too agree with Emmi! This Luke is actually cool, not whiny, and *gasp* slightly attractive! *doesn't really care for Luke all that much*

Wonderful post! I love Mara's Imperial Court actions! I can see it so clearly in my head, lol, she even rivaled Leia... Wow... ON a side note, I wonder if Leia ever had to give Han manner lessons or something... Hmmmm ;)

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Excellent, Gabri_Jade!

Wow, angles of NR politics I never even thought about! Of course, it makes sense that Mara would have done some things that don't look so good in the light of day.

oooh, very squirmy thinking about this tricky business. But yeah Leia for helping Mara out!

Counting down the hours until Friday...

6. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    That was much much better than chocolate!!!!!! :)

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I think everybody else covered all the comments I would have made. I'm just loving the story.

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    astrowoman: I guess this is my favorite because it shows that Luke thinks of himself and Mara as "we" now, instead of himself and his sister.

Yup. His sister is no longer the most important woman in Luke's life. Of course, he's just beginning to realize that himself. And you're quite welcome. :)

Inez: I could just picture Mara patting Luke on the head..."that's a good boy" :p

*giggles* She just might at that! But Luke would find some way to get even if she did. Oh, look -- there goes another plot bunny... :p

Jedi-2B: . I'll admit I was hoping this wouldn't dissolve into a story of Mara having a trial, and Luke having to rescue her.

Not here. I've read one or two stories with that very scenario; and while I liked certain aspects of the plot, I was never completely happy with them. However, I do think that such a charge is very realistic, and I believe in tying up loose ends whenever possible.

To me, this part stated simply and beautifully how much Luke and Mara are already a 'couple,' even if they would both deny it aloud.

My thoughts as well. Thank you. :) For the time being, I'm going to stick with twice a week posts. Someday I hope to write a wonderfully long sweeping epic of a fic where I would have enough material for such frequent posts, but this story just isn't it. With twice weekly posts, I estimate that we have about a month left.

Jedi_Liz: Feel free to use the idea if you want, Liz. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. :)

JainaDurron: Thank you! :)

maramijade: I love how Mara keeps throwing his teachings back in his face.

Mara is many things, but docile isn't one of them. ;)

I think Han and Leia know more than their letting on, I think they would know before Luke and Mara would, or admit. . .

*grins*
    I'd have to agree with you there.

Emmi: Emmi, my darling, that's a small essay you've written. Thank you for the time and effort you obviously put into that reply. Let me see if I can answer in kind.

Skywalkers sure choose interesting soulmates, huh?

Don't
    they, though?

Leia, Leia, Leia. When will you ever have some fun?

Ah, but she's having fun right there, teasing the others. She's just being understated about it.

Luke knows there is a good chance she'll take that as an "I like you" sort of thing, and he doesn't care!

Well, we all know how boys tease the girls they like. ;) Seriously, that's it exactly. He's getting comfortable enough with her that he doesn't think she'll slice him open with her lightsaber if he gets a little affectionate.

Words are amazing, aren't they? So few of them, yet there is so much meaning.

"There is a fascination in writing. The use of words is of itself an interesting study. You will hardly believe the difference the use of one word rather than another will make until you begin to hunt for a word with just the right shade of meaning, just the right color for the picture you are painting with words." ~~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Long quote, I know, but one of my favorites, and very accurate.

There was a strength there that you don't often see in most fanfics, coming from him.

Thank you. I feel very strongly that Luke is not the wimp he is often portrayed as, both in profic and fanfic. Far too many people mistake gentleness and compassion for weakness. Those traits are strengths, not weaknesses, and always will be.

Luke is angry. It's such a refreshing change from the passive 'there is no emotion, there is peace' Jedi you see in the books.

I DESPISE the Jedi Code. Denying that emotion, ignorance, passion, and death exist does not erase them. True mastery of the Force, IMHO, would encompass acknowledging such things and working within their parameters. To simply refuse to admit their existence is the height of arrogance. BTW, if anyone has not read vader_incarnate's Comes the Night over at the archive, y

9. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    Damn .. I wasnt able to hold on for the few minutes worth to catch your post fresh off the press as such..... It would have been well worth the wait (as always) but unfortunately my fevered brain was forcing my body to shut down *bad brain.. bad brain :mad: * But i have caught up and yet another master piece..... its nice to know that our jedi master cant keep his cool when it comes to a certain red head ;)

10. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Sash: It's sweet of you to say it would have been worth the wait, but when you're sick, you need sleep. The rest of the world can wait. Hope you feel better soon! :)

~Gabri

11. The_Hooded_One

May 29, 2002
    It's Friday!!!!!!! ;)

12. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    The_Hooded_One: :eek: It is? Are you sure?! Ah, let's run with it. ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Eight

A somewhat somber mood fell over the group after that, and the party broke up quickly. No one really finished their interrupted desserts, and when Han halfheartedly suggested a round of after dinner drinks, Luke and Mara looked at each other and simultaneously shook their heads, politely excusing themselves. Mara uncomfortably thanked Leia again, Luke uncomfortably apologized to Leia for snapping at her, both wished the other two a good night and nodded at Khabarakh's bow, and made their escape.

They were out of the restaurant and halfway to the speeder bay before Luke spoke quietly. "You knew what Leia was going to say before she mentioned the whole Emperor's Hand thing, didn't you?"

"Of course I did," Mara hissed, her eyes fixed firmly on the pavement. "What I can't understand is my idiocy in not thinking of it earlier." She viciously kicked a stray pebble from her path. "How stupid can a shadow agent and smuggler be?" They reached Luke's speeder, and Mara leaned momentarily against it only to turn and slam her hand down hard against the hood. "I grew up in Palpatine's court, for Sith's sake! I saw this sort of political ploy every day! How could I not see this coming?"

"It's been taken care of, though," Luke offered, still quietly.

"I should have taken care of it, not Leia!" Mara snapped. "I should never have let myself be in that position in the first place!" Suddenly her anger fled, leaving her unaccountably weary. She planted her hands on the hood and leaned into them, letting her eyes close and her head hang. "Blast it, Skywalker, I don't like being indebted to people."

"Oh, Mara," Luke sighed. He turned his back to the speeder and leaned against it next to her, laying his hand over hers. "I know how you feel, but truly, you're not indebted to anyone. If anything, Leia's repaying you."

Mara looked up at him with something approaching gallows humor. "And you said she only invited me here because she likes me."

Luke winced. "She does, Mara, she really does. That's part of why she did this."

Mara turned to lean her back against the speeder as well. "Whatever. I don't suppose it really matters anyway." She rubbed a hand across her suddenly aching forehead. "Can we go home now, please?"

Luke reached over to brush a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "As long as you believe that no matter what has happened in the past or what will happen in the future, I genuinely care about you, Mara; and I always will."

Mara's heart leapt into her throat. After a compact eternity, she managed to whisper, "I know you do, Luke."

"And that's the second time you've called me Luke," he said softly, with just a hint of repressed humor. "I could get used to the sound of that." Some of Mara's sudden panic must have shown in her eyes, because Luke added, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

Mara swallowed hard, trying to force some moisture into her dry mouth. "See that you don't." Definitely not her most witty comeback, but all she could manage right now.

Luke smiled understandingly at her, then -- thank the Force! -- took his eyes from her to look at the ground. "You're right," he said after a moment. "We should go. If Han and Leia came out now, they'd be pretty curious as to why we're still here." He glanced up at her again. "You want to drive?"

"What?" Mara asked, surprised.

"Well, if there was ever anyone I'd trust to pilot it..." Luke put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed, then shook her lightly. "Come on, let's get going." He opened the pilot's side door and waited. Mara hesitated, but he only raised his eyebrows at her. The thought of having to explain the situation if Leia came out hastened her decision, and she slipped into the pilot's seat.

Neither spoke again until they reached the door of Mara's apartment within the Imperial Palace. Mara opened her door, then turned back to Luke, completely at a loss as to how she should end this evening

13. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Bravo! A sweet little scene. They are definitely falling hard for each other, though of course Luke seems much more ready to show his feelings than Mara does.

When a guy lets a girl drive his precious new car ... er, speeder ... that's gotta translate into love!

14. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    *sigh* [face_dreamy] AWWWWW

I agree with Jedi2B...letting a girl drive your speeder = [face_love]
    Kinda reminds of that scene in Truce at Bakura where Han's arguing with himself about Leia's place in the cockpit of the Falcon. :p

inez

p.s. I gave you plotbunnies??? [face_devil] MUHAHAHA!

15. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    that whole post was so sweet!!

I don't know why but I liked how quiet they were the whole way back. It seems more natural after the hard hitting emotions and conversation they had earlier.

Both were confused and trying to figure out their feelings. it was soo cute. I also really liked how Luke fell into his protective-are-you-ok? stance back at the room, not only does he want to be sure she is physically ok ( safe from the government) but that if she needs to talk about it, he's there to make sure she is mentally ok too. . .

To me that just makes him more dreamy...

16. The_Hooded_One

May 29, 2002
    Wonderful post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Mara's heart leapt into her throat. After a compact eternity, she managed to whisper, "I know you do, Luke."

"And that's the second time you've called me Luke," he said softly, with just a hint of repressed humor. "I could get used to the sound of that." Some of Mara's sudden panic must have shown in her eyes, because Luke added, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

OHHHHH! That was perfect! Absolutly wonderful! You had me grinning from ear to ear (like this = :D ) :p .

Great job Gabri! Love Luke's unconcious agressiveness! :)

18. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Hi Gabri!!! Sort of stumbled in here and wow!
    Most unnerving of all, though, was how naturally it seemed to come to him -- and how pleased she was to receive it.
    I love your Luke and Mara. Emmi was saying that he's actively protective and that's such a perfect way to put it. I loved Mara's reaction to all of it too. Frustration first and foremost with herself rather than anyone else. It seems most like the kind of thing she would do.
    I'm so glad I caught your post. Keep up the good work!
    ;) Paige

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Bravo Gabri! I could use you for help with my fanfics......I wish I could write as well as you do!

I loved the same like that Jaded did.

20. jade_stone

jade_stone Jedi Master star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    :'( need more! Hehehe sooo good, I like the end of that last post... :D

21. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    * shivering too hard to write *

Will post succinct reply later...

Okay, now it's later.

Where do I even start? That was exquisite, Gabri_Jade - really, you should consider a career in writing! You really manage to pull out emotion so well!

Case in point:

and also:

Luke's fervent defense of her, then his concerned efforts at comfort, had taken her thoroughly by surprise. Most unnerving of all, though, was how naturally it seemed to come to him -- and how pleased she was to receive it.

Just wonderful!! If anyone was ever the cold-blooded vestal virgin, Mara Jade certainly is, but it's so smooth and subtle, how Luke knows how to get under her skin. It's really beautiful to watch.

Counting the hours till Monday.

Leaves plate of chocolate chip cookies with Dr. Pepper for author.

22. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Jedi-2B: Thank you!

They are definitely falling hard for each other, though of course Luke seems much more ready to show his feelings than Mara does.

Luke's had the advantage of having loved and having been loved in his life. Mara's still afraid of feelings. She'll get over it, or at least learn to manage it; but it's a major change for her, the poor girl.

Inez: Yeah, and probably a fighter pilor would be especially protective of his ship/speeder. :) Truce at Bakura...it's been ages since I read that book. I remember being very annoyed that it was set immediately after RotJ when I'd been hoping so much for more Mara and Karrde scenes; and then to have a non-Mara romantic interest for Luke! Grrrr. :p Maybe I should look at it again.

p.s. I gave you plotbunnies??? [face_devil] MUHAHAHA!

You did indeed, Inez. Maybe I'll even get them to cooperate this time. ;)

maramijade: Thanks! Strong emotions are exhausting, and as you pointed out, they were both a bit confused as well. Lots to think about.

not only does he want to be sure she is physically ok ( safe from the government) but that if she needs to talk about it, he's there to make sure she is mentally ok too. . .

To me that just makes him more dreamy...

Couldn't agree more. :)

The_Hooded_One: Wonderful reader!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Jaded Skywalker: You had me grinning from ear to ear

*grins back*
    I've read fics that had the same effect on me. Can't tell you how flattered I am.

Ariapaige: Oooohhh, new reader! :D Hi! Thanks for dropping in.

Frustration first and foremost with herself rather than anyone else.

What a wonderful way to summarize Mara. She's such a perfectionist, and harder on herself than on anyone else. Thanks!

Jedi_Liz: That's so sweet, Liz. Thank you very much! [face_blush] But then, your story has over 1000 posts now, so you must be doing something right. :D

jade_stone: Another new reader! :eek: Thanks! Glad to have you. More on Monday. :)

LadyPadme: * shivering too hard to write *

*laughs*
    You'd better not read Monday's post then, LP. ;) Thank you sooo much! I doubt very, very much that I shall ever be a full-time professional author, but the fact that you think I could be really made my day. :D (Imagine the rest of the page filled with grinning smilies, since the board won't let me use as many as I'd like to.)

Dr. Pepper! *is delighted all over again* Someone's been prowling through the WR board... ;) *hands LP a Diet Coke* :D

Thanks, all!

~Gabri

23. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    Sigh! that was just dreamy... I just love the protective caring Luke.... Its soooo cute.. and the nicest part is that it comes sooo naturally to him :D Sigh.... Wow..... *Sash is unavailable right now as she has been swept away by your post* :p

24. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Sash: *giggles* Thanks, Sash! Assuming that you're now available, of course. :p

25. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    *looks around* Hmmm....very quiet little thread today, isn't it? New post tomorrow; maybe that'll liven things up a bit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.