main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinite Possibilities (L/M romance, completed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    new post today

2. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Hi Gabri,

I'm still loving this fic! I liked the last scene with Mara being so contemplative and quiet, and Luke being the bold one (kissing her cheek, hehehe).

I also liked the thought of Mara wanting Luke to come back because being around him was comforting to her. Kind of reminds me of Anakin telling Padme "You're presence is soothing" in AOTC.

Well, back to work and DRL! But you can better believe I'll be checking in throughout the day, looking for the new post!

Astro :D

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    The_Hooded_One: *laughs* You're such a faithful timekeeper. :)

astrowoman: Thanks! :)

I liked the last scene with Mara being so contemplative and quiet, and Luke being the bold one

Yes, a bit of role reversal there. Shades of Anakin, huh? You're right, there is a parallel there. I'd forgotten that line. I obviously need to watch AotC again. ;)

Next post coming right up!

4. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Chapter Nine

Luke made his way steadily through the swirling confusion, alternating from piloting his X-wing at Yavin to the snowspeeder on Hoth to the Imperial speeder bike on Endor. Disparate elements from the war melded together like determined eddys of a savage river, then shattered into thousands of sparkling fragments like those same eddys dissipating into foam as they slammed into an unexpected rock; like the infinite glittering grains of sand that made up the ferocity of a Tatooine sandstorm.

A flowing black cape separated itself from the melee, the figure within igniting a red lightsaber as it came, and Luke's mind reeled in desperate protest. How many times could a person be required to battle his own father? Vader's blade swung toward Luke's head, only just barely blocked by Luke's own, and it was as it had been on the Death Star. Luke was distracted by the Emperor's cackling -- a fatal error, except that Vader didn't press his advantage. Instead he extinguished his blade and returned to his master's side. Luke stood rooted to the deck, unable to follow, unable to stop what he somehow knew was coming. A small, almost dainty figure stepped from the shadows surrounding the Emperor's throne, brilliant hair shimmering uncannily in the dim lighting, her deceptively fragile stature tense with the hatred that shone through her emerald eyes; a reflection of the hatred which sustained her master. A blue lightsaber sprang to life in her hands, and Luke's previous despair intensified. No, not Mara! Anyone but Mara, please -- Vader a thousand times, but not Mara.

Her sapphire blade carved a sweeping arc through the air only to collide with his own emerald one, locked blades hissing and sparking. Mara glared at him through the glow of their weapons and swung again, a solid blow that Luke nonetheless parried easily, phantom words from another time echoing through his head. 'I might remind you,' whispered the familiar voice, 'that I haven't actually won a match yet...'

She struck again, and this time he didn't merely block the blow but disarmed her with an easy twist of his wrist, the blue blade cartwheeling across the room. Mara's fiery hair gleamed enticingly as it lashed from one shoulder to the other as her head snapped to the side to watch her salvation spin away, then back at the man who now held her life in his hands. Her eyes never left his as the green lightsaber flashed toward her again, their expression changing in a heartbeat from hatred to surprise to pleading to anguish. She reached out a hand to him even as his blade struck her down and Luke's heart died within him...

Luke sat bolt upright in his bed, panting, soaked with sweat, eyes wide and unseeing. Mara... Awareness returned gradually. His breath and heartrate began to slow as he looked around. This was his own room, his own bed. His lightsaber rested peacefully on the bedside table. The faint light coming through the window spoke of the hour before dawn.

He lay slowly back down, pulling the blankets to his chin as though he were a child all over again, and contemplated. He hadn't had such a disturbing dream in years. Luke reached for Mara's now familiar presence and found only turmoil. Was she...? He focused even harder. No, she was still asleep. Asleep, and dreaming. If his own dream was the result of picking up on her disturbance, he really hated to think of what her dreams contained. Should he go to her? Maybe not; she was quieting. Still...Yoda or Ben would probably have told him to trust his feelings, but his feelings were about as steady as a drunken tauntaun right now. In fact, the only really strong feeling he had at the moment was the feeling that he absolutely needed to see Mara, so if he was to trust his feelings, then he should go to her... By the time his reasoning had reached this point, Luke was sitting up again, ready to reach for his clothes and leave. A sudden burst of terror from Mara stopped him cold. He quickly stretched out to her with the Force. Could he tap into her dream, draw some of th

5. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    You know, I often think, and your post here confirms, that Luke and Mara found in each other the only person capable of really understanding them.

They have both been thru so much, and so much of it to do with the Force, Jedi, and Sith lords.

I'm amazed at how much Mara has opened up in this post, and how she is letting Luke comfort her. She is really reaching out to him. Wonderful :)

Luke is such a great person here, helping Mara even when he himself is probably still reeling from his own dream.

I enjoyed very much that you are varying your posts from lighthearted dancing lessons to tense dinner situations to angsty nightmares. I was suprized at this post, expecting to see the next dancing lesson instead. But pleasantly surprized, let me assure you!

I look forward to the big shindig, with them dancing together and everyone looking on with their jaws on the floor!

Until later!

Astro

6. DarthKimballDreamer

DarthKimballDreamer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2002
    Late, late, late, again! And such great posts, too, three of them!! *sigh* OK. Let me see...
    Post 1:
    Luke and Mara starting to become a "we", at least by Luke's perhaps unconscious statement ;) Whether they know it or not, all those little things are what add up to becoming a couple! A frightening possibility, Mara being sentenced to death...but a truly kind gesture on Leia's part. Loved seeing Mara's courtly manners and behaviors, too! And great little banter between Han and Mara!

Post 2:
    *sigh* Oh, so romantic! Trust me, a guy has to be pretty crazy for a girl to let her touch his vehicle, whether it be car OR speeder! And that kiss was absolutely, positively, melt-worthily sweet. I just loved it-romantic without being over the top!

Post 3:
    On time for this one! A terrifying nightmare for Luke...and Mara as well. Mara's voice only sounded tired as she responded to his nonverbal reaction.
    "Please, Luke. I don't want to feel alone right now. Just hold me for a while." *sigh again* So touching...for Mara to admit that she wants to be held and not be alone says a LOT. All those small, sweet little moments...Luke kissing her hair, Mara saying she would miss him...*helpless sigh* I love it, I just love it. But it wouldn't be Luke and Mara if it didn't get a little fiery towards the end! And I loved that last line :D

Great job, Gabri!

~**Kimball**~

7. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    Wow I managed to catch your post (on time) .. this whole time thing is getting to be annoying though.. when its your monday my monday is nearly over.. hmm actually it just turned tuesday.... anyway going to grab some shut eye before i fall asleep in school .... BUT.. just have to say that as wierd as it may sound I'm glad that they had nightmares if thats what it takes to get them into each others arms ;)
    Lovely read..... :D

8. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Sweet, sweet, sweet. This was so wonderful. Mara truly is mellowing more than just a little, yet still has that dangerous streak that excites Luke. The nightmares were reminiscent of the dreams they had at the beginning of 'Union.'

I'm glad you stuck with Luke still being called 'Commander' by some people. Even though he supposedly was promoted to General sometime after Bakura, but before he resigned his commission, I have a hard time thinking of him as General Skywalker. Maybe because he was never called that in any of the novels. (Except in Destiny's Way, where he reflects that he's not a general anymore.)

So, will we get to see the early morning breakfast, or better yet, that last dance lesson? We still have yet to witness any actual dance instruction going on. Can we really be sure that's what they're actually doing inside her apartment everyday? ;) Just kidding!

9. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    good post

I like how they were talking about their nightmares and how Mara wanted Luke to hold her....that was so sweet!

10. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    He liked her dangerous ;)

And that, right there, sums it up. :D

inez

11. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    What she said!!! wonderful post!!!!!

12. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Wow, Gabri_Jade - what a great post! Okay, this one, surprisingly, didn't give me the shivers, but the sloppy grin was there the whole time Luke and Mara were talking. Beautiful! I'm still surprised Mara let Luke wrap her in his arms without sticking something between his ribs, which just goes to show how upset she must have been. The way they're slowly starting to feel each other out is so nicely and delicately done.

Excellent! Can't wait till Friday!

13. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    *swoons at the mush* And it was mush! Wonderful post.

~~Jilly

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *pops in*

What a wonderful story! Angst, mush, charactization . . . I wonder what took me so long to read this! :p

*pops out*

15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Astro: Luke and Mara found in each other the only person capable of really understanding them.

That is exactly what I think, and have almost from the moment Mara appeared on the scene. I don't rule out the possibility that either or both might have been able to love someone else under the right circumstances, but I think that to truly understand and be understood, they needed each other.

I enjoyed very much that you are varying your posts from lighthearted dancing lessons to tense dinner situations to angsty nightmares.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that. I loved writing this story, but I really thought that most others would think it was a bit tedious. I'm very pleased that you think it has enough variety in the scenes. :)

I look forward to the big shindig, with them dancing together and everyone looking on with their jaws on the floor!

The big shindig is coming soon. You're very close about how it will go, though a bit more than that happens; but don't look for the story to end there. My favorite parts come after that.

Kimball: I don't mind if you're late -- I know you have more in your life than this story. Glad to see you again, though! :D

Whether they know it or not, all those little things are what add up to becoming a couple!

You're absolutely right. The big question is whether or not they realize it.

I just loved it-romantic without being over the top!

*grins*
    Pleased to hear it.

But it wouldn't be Luke and Mara if it didn't get a little fiery towards the end! And I loved that last line

Yes, they'd get bored if there wasn't a little fire now and then. ;) Mara will never be docile and submissive, and Luke wouldn't want her to be. Thanks!

Sash: just have to say that as wierd as it may sound I'm glad that they had nightmares if thats what it takes to get them into each others arms

Not weird at all -- not in my view, anyway. I wrote the nightmares specifically to get them into each other's arms. We're thinking along the same lines here, you and I. :) Hope you didn't fall asleep in school.

Jedi-2B: Thank you! I didn't think of it until I'd completed the scene, but the dreams are reminiscent of Union, aren't they? This story is such an amalgam of ideas from different sources; and truth be told, except for Zahn's work I was more inspired by fanfic than I was pro. There are a lot of good stories out there.

I'm glad you stuck with Luke still being called 'Commander' by some people. Even though he supposedly was promoted to General sometime after Bakura, but before he resigned his commission, I have a hard time thinking of him as General Skywalker.

And here I was waiting for someone to chastise me for using the wrong rank. :) I knew he'd been promoted at some point, and looked it up in some semi-official timeline; but if I'm remembering correctly, it said he resigned his commission two weeks after that promotion. So, since I also have a hard time thinking 'General Skywalker', I decided to stay with Commander. Besides, if he resigned that soon after, it stands to reason that most people he served with would still think 'Commander'.

So, will we get to see the early morning breakfast, or better yet, that last dance lesson? We still have yet to witness any actual dance instruction going on.

*laughs*
    You know, the way you think ahead, you get to enjoy two stories: the one you imagine and the one the author actually wrote. The absence of dance instruction is because I have no idea how to instruct anyone in any aspect of dancing, so I can't really write Mara doing so. BTW, speaking of many inspiration sources for this story, Pendulum helped inspire the dance lessons. Remember Mara teaching Luke to dance in his suite in the Imperial Palace? And in Stuff by Gheorge2, she taught him when they were on the Jade's Fire on the way to-- Verrat, was it? I really liked the idea of Mara teaching Luke to dance

16. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs around a like a wild woman*

Hey, I'm from Texas, give me a break ;)

Gabri! Wonderful post! I love how they're opening up to each other! And those dreams! *shivers* Very descriptive and well done. Oh, and I love your vocabulary... a weird compliment, yes, I know, but still, something I think needed to be said. Awesome job!

17. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Lovely, Gabi! Not much time; gotta hurry cuz I'm on a school computer, but it was lovely! My favorite part: Luke's kisses on Mara's forehead. Beautiful!

18. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    *runs around with marawannabe*

I'm in Dallas... I love it when they close half the city for two inches of sleet. :D I had to dig out the garage door to get the car out this morning.

I'm from South Louisiana, so this really is a big deal. ;)

*passes around hot chocolate*

inez

19. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    My favorite parts come after that.

*grin* I can't wait.

*groan* Am I the only one who hasn't read Union? *frowns* Hmmm...gotta figure out how to get the storyline without paying for the comics. Poor high school student, you know. ;)

-Emmi

20. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, the way you think ahead, you get to enjoy two stories: the one you imagine and the one the author actually wrote. The absence of dance instruction is because I have no idea how to instruct anyone in any aspect of dancing, so I can't really write Mara doing so. BTW, speaking of many inspiration sources for this story, Pendulum helped inspire the dance lessons. Remember Mara teaching Luke to dance in his suite in the Imperial Palace?

Don't think for one minute that I know anything about dancing. I don't even like to dance. I guess other fanfics inspired me for the dance lessons in Pendulum, too.

Emilie -- If you're lucky, maybe there's a bookstore near you that has the trade paperback of 'Union' -- one with those big comfy chairs where you can sit down and read it without buying it.
    Dark Horse may have some kind of summary at their website, but suffice it to say that the 'bad guys' crash the party, and Mara and Luke can't even get married without trouble popping up.

21. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    * Delurks *
    Up!
    * Relurks *

22. Rima

Rima Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    mmm...mush. guh. trying to form a coherent sentance.

great work... I'm really enjoying your characterizations. this is a fun fic.

um. but I had a thought. Mara would have been in a lot of trouble if the NR had thought to prosecute, but I think Karrde would have gotten her out some how, some way. I think that Mara, (as well as lots of other people) underestimate the affection he has for her. I think he's something of a replacement father figure. You don't see that come up very often, though. Maybe I'm reading between the lines a bit, but that's what fan fiction is all about, right? um. but that doesn't really have anything to do with this story, does it?

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Two lovely posts. Luke's kissing her cheek was so sweet. He wouldn't try any other type of kiss. All the tenderness in the comforting post was great. *sigh* What a guy.

24. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Marawannabe: Snow... *shivers* Thanks! Glad you liked the dreams. I was so utterly certain before I thought of that scene that I could never, ever write a convincing dream sequence; but I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out. :)

Oh, and I love your vocabulary... a weird compliment, yes, I know

Not weird at all! That's a great compliment! Thank you very much. :D

Emmi: Emmi, you naughty thing, posting from a school computer! :p I'm happy you liked it, dearest.

Inez: I'm in Dallas... I love it when they close half the city for two inches of sleet.

I'm in Phoenix. It rained here today, and while half the city didn't close, everyone forgot how to drive. Desert dwellers seem to have a hard time wrapping their brains around the concept of rain; it disorients them. Water? From the sky?! :p *sips hot chocolate and hands around chocolate chip cookies*

Emmi: Are you still on the school computer? ;)

Am I the only one who hasn't read Union?

Jedi-2B had a good idea there. Check your bookstore. Or your library; I'm pretty sure mine has some of the trade paperbacks.

Jedi-2B: I guess other fanfics inspired me for the dance lessons in Pendulum, too.

Isn't it an absolute riot how we all get inspiration from each other and inspire others at the same time? :D

Rivad_Bacar: A lurker! :eek: *waves* Hello there! Nice of you to delurk! :D *peers around* Any more lurkers out there? Come join the madness -- I mean, fun! We're pretty nice people, really. ;)

Rima: mmm...mush. guh. trying to form a coherent sentance.

*giggles*
    Yes, mush has that effect on some people.

I'd agree that Karrde has a great deal of affection for Mara, and that their relationship doesn't get the exposure it probably ought; but here it would have detracted from the main storyline. I've seen a couple of fics that did a nice job reflecting that relationship, though. Problem is, I can't remember which ones at the moment. I read way too many. :p Thanks for posting!

RebelMom: Thank you, Mom! :)

He wouldn't try any other type of kiss.

Well, not yet... ;)

What a guy.

Yeah, isn't Luke great? Mara's a lucky woman. :D

~Gabri

25. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    To Rima or RebelMom -- I'm gonna go off topic here (since it's two more whole days till Friday, and the next post), but curiosity has gotten the best of me. Rima, I loved the last part of your signature. So where is this 'Red Flight' story? RebelMom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.